Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-03-2014, 7:34 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default can't afford all this prep and survival gear

I was recently looking to get some more gear, I try to not buy everything at once. Something about doing research, makes me buy things.

Anyways I had a funny mental image of myself, standing on the street corner asking for money to buy survival gear. Not that I would do it, just curious if anyone else has considered this lol.
Old 03-03-2014, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Your plans are worth more than anything you can buy. If you had enough money to build your own Cheyenne Mountain, then you could do that and stop worrying about anything. But since you don't, and none of us do, then your plans have to be more inventive. To me, the real attraction of survivalism and prepping is this aspect of creative problem-solving. Keep your day job and just buy stuff incrementally.
Old 03-03-2014, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Reloading press, components, and canned foods from one of these stores: http://www.99only.com/ ...
It's a start...

Don't forget the <$1 lighters...
Old 03-03-2014, 8:14 AM

Just get as many credit cards as you can then max them all out. Don't pay
and move.
Old 03-03-2014, 8:15 AM
Banned

I would start by getting storage containers for food. Once you decide on what your main source of carbs and protein will be, then buy containers for bulk storage for those. The choices are rice, pasta, wheat, barley etc.

You will also need water, but you can save the plastic bottles from the water you buy at the store. I have up to 100 gals. of water stored that way. After I use up the bottled water, I fill the bottles with tap water. This I will filter later before using it. It would be smart to get a water filter at any camping store, like REI or Bass Pro Shop.

Canned goods are ok, but dehydrated is better. Rice and pasta are naturally dehydrated already.

For protein you can buy or make your own jerky. If you hunt, then go bag a pig, bear or deer and put a lot of it into jerky. You can make this at home in your oven.

For ammo, just buy a year's supply. That way it's not an addition cost, you're just buying in advance.

You should be able to pack all this into your vehicle in case you are forced to evacuate. So you may need to cook on the road. A good campstove that burns gasoline would be great. If you already go camping, then you probably already have what you need. If you don't camp, then welcome to city camping. Ergo you will still need a camp stove and a folding table to put it onto.

Last edited by hks95134; 03-03-2014 at 8:19 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Well IF you are actually a die Hard Prepper that shouldn't stop you.

First, tin foil hats are cheap, try using foil from your TV Dinner. Make sure it's clean so you don't attract Giant Mutant Rats...

Next, Shave your head into a Mohawk, Mad Max Style, Post Atomic Marauders Don't Prep, They Take! Now Go to the local Smart and Final, riding in your Max Max Car and just fill it with what ever you want. Remember Twinkies last forever and Cartons of Wine store better...

Then, Get a Shovel, Dig a hole in your Back Yard. Make it Deep. Get in it...Wait for the Apocalypse, it will come to you soon enough...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 03-03-2014, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

It is a hard thing to accept that you won't be able to get all prepped up in a week or a month. The truth is, prepping is less a task to get scratched off your list, and more of a lifestyle. Once you start looking at life with a prepping mindset, you realize that you will never really be done prepping.

Just do what you can, here and now, in a sustainable fashion. Try not to go into debt, but if you must, keep it reasonable and pay it off as soon as you can.

There is what I call "spiral prepping" which I think is the best way. Take all the areas in which you feel you need preps... categories such as defense, food, water, medical, energy, gear, etc... Ok, now imagine (or draw, if you're a more literal type) these categories in a circle, kind of like a pie-chart. Think of the most basic thing you can do to prep in each one. For defense, it might be a single box of ammo. For energy, maybe a set of D cells for your flashlight, or a candle, or a can of sterno. At some kind of regular interval that makes sense to you (week, month, or quarter) go to the next segment of pie, in order. Think about what you can do that week/month/quarter to bring that category up a little, and do that. If you get over-prepped in a given area (guns are frequently in this position, because they're so much fun!) you may take it out of the rotation for a while, just put it to the side.

As you go around the circle on your regular interval, you will see your preparedness in each category gradually rising. Let level one preparedness be the standard 3-day (72 hour) level. So you prep on level one until all the preps are good enough to get you by for an expected 72 hours without services. As each category gets to that level, take it out of circulation, so that you can focus on bringing up the other areas. How many people do you know with tons of guns and ammo, but haven't got a set of good batteries for a flashlight or a few gallons of gas for the car, or a few bucks in cash in case the ATM's are down? That's due to un balanced prepping. The spiral prevents that, because once a category is up to the current level, you take it out of the rotation.

Now let's look at Level 2, which for sake of discussion we're going to call 2 weeks. Any prep categories at which we are not already level 2, get put back on rotation, and the cycle begins again. Let's say level 3 is going to focus on your ability to get home from work - since most of us have a commute, this is a valid "level" of it's own. Assuming impassible roads, and various services may or may not be available, what would you need to get you back home? A backpack, some kind of portable defense (may or may not include firearm), maps, small first aid kit, a few dollars and/or some change, etc... divide this up into cagegories and work on each one. Rotate just as you did level 2.

When level 3 is finished, move up to level 4, six weeks without services. If you want a frame of reference watch National Geographic's "American Blackout". Not altogether an implausible scenario, which I feel they wrapped up much too quickly. Level 7 maybe you want to consider as the "bugging out" level so that you have the option to relocate to a better area. These are all just suggestions, you need to tailor the categories to your own prepping philosophy, likely scenarios, and individual needs.

If you have children or pets, it might be good to make them their own separate category to ensure they don't get overlooked. And don't forget that actions can be preps, as well as acquisitions. For instance, instead of another couple of cases of ammo, maybe one of your go-rounds for the defense category should be a training class. Maybe under energy you can learn to start a fire by alternate methods (bow drill, flint & steel, etc). Under food you could take a class in gardening or home canning. Under "pet" you could train your dog in skills that might be useful, from simple obedience to something like remaining silent on command. Under "baby" you could take your family on a camping trip to see how everyone deals living under somewhat austere conditions - heating formula and changing diapers are a little different when you don't have the modern conveniences handy.

So that's the Spiral Prepping method. Start small, rotate categories, then level up. Accept that you'll never be "done" and be aware that as you gain in knowledge or experience, you may have to revisit some of your previous preps, or change your strategy entirely. But the spiral method will help keep you balanced and from feeling overwhelmed. By sticking to this plan, you'll be able to see that you covered the most basic and most important things first. And it will help quell the desire to run up debt and get ahead of yourself.

Good luck and keep on preppin'!
Old 03-03-2014, 9:33 AM

The problem with the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI stuff is the proliferation of guns, gear and training that is available. It has sucked in many people with disposable income. Being 'tactical' has beome less about planning and strategy and more about Haute Couture.

Molle up and stand on a corner with a cardboard sign, if you must. Who knows, you may make enough to buy a case of ammo..
Old 03-03-2014, 9:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post

First, tin foil hats are cheap, try using foil from your TV Dinner. Make sure it's clean so you don't attract Giant Mutant Rats...

Next, Shave your head into a Mohawk, Mad Max Style, Post Atomic Marauders Don't Prep, They Take! Now Go to the local Smart and Final, riding in your Max Max Car and just fill it with what ever you want. Remember Twinkies last forever and Cartons of Wine store better...

Then, Get a Shovel, Dig a hole in your Back Yard. Make it Deep. Get in it...Wait for the Apocalypse, it will come to you soon enough...
OMG that's the most sound advice I have seen yet! Will do immediately...

Damn plan failed, tv dinner used plastic not foil!!!

Last edited by jerhyn; 03-03-2014 at 9:55 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 9:53 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
It is a hard thing to accept that you won't be able to get all prepped up in a week or a month. The truth is, prepping is less a task to get scratched off your list, and more of a lifestyle. Once you start looking at life with a prepping mindset, you realize that you will never really be done prepping...
Yeah, that's what I have been doing. I want to get everything now and don't want to wait lol.

I blame video games for this, you can gear up so quickly and the money you spend is worthless, nor does it cause any real consequences for your you in-game character other than it makes you more bad ***.
Old 03-03-2014, 9:54 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
Just get as many credit cards as you can then max them all out. Don't pay
and move.
That's my plan for the more extreme SHTF events. Max credit cards on perishables and w/e else I need. Economy collapses, debt doesn't matter.
Old 03-03-2014, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Addition to "Spiral Prepping" above:

Don't forget to schedule a "maintenance" interval. In fact you may want to make that one of your categories. Check expiration dates on food, clean and lube guns, organize gear, swap out the winter BOB contents for the summer BOB stuff, test-run the generators, etc. Once you acquire something, don't just forget about it. You have to maintain it, just like your car, so that it's ready to go when you need it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Being 'tactical' has beome less about planning and strategy and more about Haute Couture.

Molle up and stand on a corner with a cardboard sign, if you must. Who knows, you may make enough to buy a case of ammo..
Could work. In Key West, the beggars say "give me a dollar for beer". Go to a place where prepping is common and say "give me a dollar for ammo".
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I like your idea bruss
Do you have one of those spiral charts to share

I would add that maybe at the end of any level that you repeat same level for each member of family
Maybe modifying the 2nd 3rd 4th or more persons a bit to reduce redundancy where it's not necessary
Or simply make a level 1 family spiral for a the shared items like, stove, filtration system, shelter etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates

Last edited by Tripper; 03-03-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

It looks like the well reasoned advice has suggested that you start in steps, and start with food.

It looks like the rest of the comments are amateur attempts at humor, which as Jay Leno has noted is way too dangerous to try at home -- leave it for the late nite experts.

You should get a copy of One Second After, by Forstchen. Great novel about the coming apocalypse.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I like your idea bruss
Do you have one of those spiral charts to share
No, I don't and I think there would be limited usefulness to a generic printed chart, because while everyone may have some common needs, their individual situation, goals, and philosophies will greatly influence the Prep Spiral. Now, if someone made a computer app where you could design the categories, check off objectives, schedule your maintenance days, and budget your prepping money, THEN you'd really have something. But just to print out a "one size fits all" generic chart... not terribly useful IMHO and takes one of the biggest benefits out of the equation, getting the individual to THINK and PRIORITIZE their goals and philosophy.
Old 03-03-2014, 2:04 PM

Here is a good site to guide you through what you should be doing to becoming self sufficient. Yes, I'm a Mormon, put the religion aside and look at the planning side. We have been doing this stuff for a very long time.

http://providentliving.org/?lang=eng
Old 03-03-2014, 3:45 PM

Dear god please do not spend money you dont have on preps. You are better servered getting a 401k and other investments in order before spending money on somthing may never need. But you will retire and will get old and you will need money. Thats a fact unless you die soon or we reverse the aging process.

Start small such as enough food and water to survive a week. Then 2 then 1 month. At this point you are ahead of most of the USA.
Old 03-03-2014, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

My first step into prepping was changing my diet, spending habits for food, and then shopping hard on other "needs." Before I knew it I had $225 a month just for preps. Pretty easy to stock up on that, and once you start converting your diet to grown and hunted the savings skyrocket. I shot my turkey for thanksgiving this year. It cost $.10 to replace the 22 Rnd I fired.
Old 03-03-2014, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The problem with the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI stuff is the proliferation of guns, gear and training that is available. It has sucked in many people with disposable income. Being 'tactical' has beome less about planning and strategy and more about Haute Couture.

its upon the individual to see who gives good training and who doesn't. yes there are lots people giving carbine and pistol classes and the combination of the two.

research them and if they sound right then go find out for yourself. it will cost money and ammo of course but good training is worth it. and it is a perishable skill BTW.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-03-2014, 6:23 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post

Whoa dude Gold or Silver Foil is so superior elite!
Old 03-03-2014, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post
Yeah, that's what I have been doing. I want to get everything now and don't want to wait lol.

I blame video games for this, you can gear up so quickly and the money you spend is worthless, nor does it cause any real consequences for your you in-game character other than it makes you more bad ***.

Wait, my COD squad points don't get me anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 03-04-2014, 6:54 AM
Banned

I'm with the balanced approach process as well.

It's pretty easy to simply add a couple extra "whatever-it-is" to your shopping each week and after a relatively short time frame you will have built up a nice cushion to tide you over. As time goes on that cushion will just keep growing to allow you to get through longer periods of distress.

Look for sales which will stretch your funds buying power.
Old 03-04-2014, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

If you buy anything in bulk you can see the savings when divided in portions of what you normally buy.

Heck, just in reloaded ammo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I am CURRENTLY reloading 124gr plated vs 115gr Walmart FMJ for $275.69 cheaper per thousand.

I am CURRENTLY reloading M193 55gr FMJ vs 55gr Gander MTN's M193 for $468.76 cheaper per thousand.
Buying in bulk: when the price goes up on things, you already have more than you need, like .22lr, .223/5.56, and 9mm (none of which were on any shelves locally, but I was still going on regular range trips, and I had the place to myself-and-family), spices, salt, beans, or a bag of rice...
Baby-steps.

Last edited by the86d; 03-04-2014 at 7:41 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 9:08 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Wait, my COD squad points don't get me anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought it should entitle me to exchange for real life gear from the game, but sadly no.
Old 03-04-2014, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

IRL cod might be worth something, but COD... not so much.
Old 03-04-2014, 9:58 AM

I think lasbrg said it best, you should be focused more on planning than buying equipment and supplies. Without a good plan you'll buy supplies that may not be relevant to YOUR needs. I haven't heard of Bruss' Spiral philosophy before, but it sounds good. He is a very active prepper and someone to listen to.

Prepping is more about a lifestyle and mindset. There is no need to rush out and go on a spending spree. Start with an inventory of your current equipment and supplies. Develop a SHTF plan and then fill in the gaps.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 03-04-2014, 1:46 PM

One thing I have seen people do, is every time they go shopping, just buy one or two extra cans of food, or pasta, or any kind of prepper food. So it doesn't really impact your budget, but you slowly build up a good supply. Once your kitchen is full of supplies, then start eating some of them, before they expire. And replace them with new cans. It's less of an impact than if you go out to a surplus store and buy hundreds of MREs all at once...

And honestly, it's cool to have HAM radio, a generator, and all that fancy stuff. But in reality, all you need is food, water, shelter, and something to defend yourself. So if you can get a good tent, sleeping bag, jacket, a gun, and lots of food and water, you should be in pretty decent shape. All the other stuff is extra.
Old 03-04-2014, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
Dear god please do not spend money you dont have on preps. You are better servered getting a 401k and other investments in order before spending money on somthing may never need. But you will retire and will get old and you will need money. Thats a fact unless you die soon or we reverse the aging process.

Start small such as enough food and water to survive a week. Then 2 then 1 month. At this point you are ahead of most of the USA.
Pretty good advice right there.

Just imagine having to sit in your house with your family for 2 weeks with no outside help or utilities and plan for that. Food, water, light, medicine/first aid, defense, warmth, entertainment.

Don't go crazy until you can afford it. Then go crazy with all the survival crap.

Just being self-sufficient for 2 weeks makes you WAY ahead of everyone else. Don't share. lol....
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by olhunter; 03-04-2014 at 7:25 PM..
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Banned

prepping is a hobby like any other.....beats gambling I suppose but not really...you're making a bet by buying all this stuff that a very improbable series of events will take place

of course preppers just die with a closet full of gear and 100lbs of "rations" all of it completely useless....but you can die with guns, golf clubs, grandfather clocks, whatever it is you spent a lot of money on for no reason...other than as entertainment

so, like any hobby, you need to remember its not real life..its entertainment and distraction, so keep it in perspective.....don;t "prep" and ignore real needs financially
Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post
I was recently looking to get some more gear, I try to not buy everything at once. Something about doing research, makes me buy things.

Anyways I had a funny mental image of myself, standing on the street corner asking for money to buy survival gear. Not that I would do it, just curious if anyone else has considered this lol.
One of the guys at work mentioned my hair and beard was getting shaggy.
I said I'm preparing for my new week end job, holding a sign looking pitiful begging for money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 PM

When ever I go to sams club I usually buy a extra bulk pack of canned goods and store it away with the rest of my things.

I only buy when I'm already shopping in bulk. I don't usually go out to find stuff. On occasion we will stop by some surplus stores just to see what they have.

But mostly everything they have I can make better for cheaper. IE: quick set up BBQs,first aid stuff, burners.

Look at what you use daily. And buy things/food related to that to get you by. I see people buy things/food that they never use or didn't even know existed and won't know how to use it when time comes.

My neighbor just gave me a couple gallons of unopened water. He stored in his garage. We opened and tasted it and it was tainted bad with a "smokey" taste. He smokes meat in his backyard and it tainted the the water in his garage. He still has a lot of 5gallon jugs I think might taste bad. Be careful were you store things.

I also buy an extra cases of water. I always out one in my truck and pick from when I'm working. I put a few bottles in my wife's car. And always keep some type of snack and water in our other car. I have all 3 cars setup with some type of snack and water and roadside tools/essentials of what that car does for us.

Haha another thing my wife thinks I'm crazy about doing is stocking up on ketchup and mustard packets. I put ketchup on anything/everything. It makes nasty food tolerable. I have a huge show box full of just ketchup. I'm working on hot sauce and mustards.

My little boy likes ketchup. When/if the times comes. Me and my boy will eat anything. My wife is picky and won't eat what she don't like the taste of. Also we bought a bag from sams club of those tiny salt and pepper packets they give you at fast food places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by knucklehead; 03-05-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM

A prep which is way overlooked is board games! takes no power and helps kill the mind numbing bordem. Make sure you have games to play or all your fancy preps will do you no good if your going out of your mind from stress. On that note I need to go buy some more games lol
Norman Thomas - "The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of "liberalism" they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing what happened.
Winston Churchill -We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law. "
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM

I spend extra $5 everytime I shop. $5 will buy 5 boxes pasta,$5 will buy 5 cans hunts spaghetti sauce, $5 will buy 5 pks of "Idahoan mashed potatoes" and etc. if I eat any of it I buy a replacement next trip.
eventually you will have enough food to last a month stored under bed or under sofa in wasted space.those water cubes with faucet. free buckets from bakery that icing comes in (food grade)
buy a 5 pack of wash cloths to use instead of t-p when crap hits the fan. handle as you did diapers, as only my 3rd child used disposable ones.
go on www.onehundredfreebooks.com and find free cook books for kindle,then download on cloud. you can buy spiral notebook and wrie recipes down in it. cloud can store books on iphone, computer, pad or kindle paper white or $69 kindle.
a $99 mosin nagant and a 440 rds spam can of 7.62X54R can be used for defense as well as a $900 AR15 ! and has a really cool bayonet.

Last edited by billmaykafer; 03-05-2014 at 12:16 AM..
Old 03-05-2014, 3:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaykafer View Post
...a $99 mosin nagant and a 440 rds spam can of 7.62X54R can be used for defense as well as a $900 AR15 ! and has a really cool bayonet.
(I think a semi-auto will keep heads down more than a bolt with suppressing-fire, allowing family to go out the back... If you want an AR, rather than a Mosin, and want a bayonet, research how much play and noise a 16-18" makes with a bayonet attached, but there are adapters that will allow a M7, or M9 to attach without the play and noise. Most people don't know about the Bayonet issue, until after they buy a <20" AR, and you have to have bayonet lugs in order to affix AFAIK.)
Old 03-05-2014, 7:51 AM

.. Here's a current days reminder..

Ukraine. When you are cut off - what do you have?
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 03-05-2014, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post

I wish more people thought this way.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 03-05-2014, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
prepping is a hobby like any other.....beats gambling I suppose but not really...you're making a bet by buying all this stuff that a very improbable series of events will take place

of course preppers just die with a closet full of gear and 100lbs of "rations" all of it completely useless....but you can die with guns, golf clubs, grandfather clocks, whatever it is you spent a lot of money on for no reason...other than as entertainment

so, like any hobby, you need to remember its not real life..its entertainment and distraction, so keep it in perspective.....don;t "prep" and ignore real needs financially
Well, that's one way to look at it. I never considered prepping to be "entertaining" but if it is to you, good for you.

A lot of people spend (waste?) money on lots of things. Like big vacations every year. Like fancy new cars every few years, payments on a 40-50k truck seem to be pretty common. New set of clothes every season, gotta stay with the fashions, right? Go out drinking with buddies on the weekend, drop a c-note on that every couple of weeks. Go out to movies in a theater two-three times a month with a date. People gotta have a hobby, right? Nothing wrong with it, hey it's a free country, right?

Or you can take stay-cations, make your clothes last 4-5 years, have a modest "dinner out" budget which you frequrntly use a coupon for and keep things inexpensive, drive a 13 year old truck. And spend all that money you save on preps that make you feel good about your future. And yes I consider my retirement fund to be a prep too. But I can't count on that as my only recourse... too many times in the history of the world, things like that have not played out the way people expected. I hope to not be caught short by the unexpected. I possess both money and tangibles, what I would consider a "balanced investment portfolio".

The thing is, sure you can laugh at the silly ant and all the work and sacrifice he makes for his preps when winter seems so far away, it seems like it will never come at all. But when the weather finally turns cold, the grasshopper doesn't get to come and take everything the ant worked so hard for, just because the grasshopper thinks the ant is mean for not sharing. Life always involves sacrifices. Just decide whether you would rather sacrifice now, or later. If you're one of the people who think that kind of "later" will never come, again, good for you... everyone needs a hobby and gambling is a hobby, right? Put it all on black and let it ride.

Kowabunga, dude!
Old 03-05-2014, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
I wish more people thought this way.
sdkevin, create a new thread with that title.
Old 03-05-2014, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojournertruth View Post

There's calgunner in the C&R forum who said he needed to ship his SHTF supplies and that they weighed six tons! My own collection of supplies is much more modest, but I can see how this might happen. You will never be "fully prepared", so don't worry too much about what you lack at the moment.

My own working theory is that if I have guns and ammo, I don't NEED other supplies ............................... because I can always barter the ammo.