Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-19-2014, 6:14 PM

Default Here comes "Smart Gun Tech" to Microstamping in CA thansk to Oak Tree Gun Club

Well im never going back...

They are pouring gasoline on the anti gun call for "Smart Gun technology"... WHY???? Well its because they are the only one selling it.

This really pisses me off that they are being SO STUPID as to give more ideas for regulations for the anti gunners to call into law.

Way to go Oak Tree. Im sure im not the only one who will never go back after such BS was spread to a national newspaper.

I hate to be against a gun range and gun shop but this is total crap and im not going to stand for it.

Think Microstamping is a PITA? Well add Smart Gun Technology to the list i bet within the next year

Quote:
"James Mitchell, the “extremely pro-gun” owner of the Oak Tree Gun Club, north of Los Angeles, isn’t one of the skeptics. His club’s firearms shop is the only outlet in the country selling the iP1. “It could revolutionize the gun industry,” Mitchell declared."
Quote:
UPDATE

remember when they said they NEVER sold such a thing?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...tree-gun-club/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...39c_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e03_story.html

Quote:
One of California’s largest firearm stores recently added a peculiar new gun to its shelves. It requires an accessory: a black waterproof watch.
A gun store in California is the first to sell the country’s first “smart gun,” which requires the shooter to be wearing an accompanying watch in order to be able to fire.

It’s called the Armatix iP1, and this is how it works: The gun comes with a watch that not only tells time, but also has an electronic chip inside that communicates with another electronic chip inside the gun, The Washington Post reports.

If the watch is on the wrist of the gun holder, a green light on the rear of the gun illuminates, allowing the gun to fire. If the watch is not on the gun holder, the green light will not light up and the gun will not fire.

Armatix uses RFID chips, which are also used in anti-theft tags attached to clothes in stores. Another smart-gun developer, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, is using sensors to recognize the unique grips and grasps of users. Other companies are using fingerprint and voice recognition technologies.

Gun-control advocates see the new technology as a step toward reducing gun violence and accidental shootings. But gun rights advocates are skeptical that the technology will come without glitches.

Self-proclaimed “extremely pro-gun” owner of the Oak Tree Gun Club in California, James Mitchell told the Post this new technology “could revolutionize the gun industry.”

Lawmakers have wanted to mandate smart guns for over a decade. The Post recalled that in 2002, New Jersey passed a law requiring that within three years of a smart gun being sold anywhere in the U.S., only smart guns would be sold in their state.

At the federal level, Democratic Massachusetts Rep. John F. Tierney has introduced a similar mandate.

The National Rifle Association’s lobbying firm, the Institute for Legislative Action, wrote on its website that it opposes “government mandates that require the use of expensive, unreliable features, such as grips that would read your fingerprints before the gun will fire.”

“And NRA recognizes that the ‘smart guns’ issue clearly has the potential to mesh with the anti-gunner’s agenda, opening the door to a ban on all guns that do not possess the government-required technology,” the institute wrote.

Smart guns still have some looking to capitalize on the new technology.

Ron Conway, an investor in Google and Facebook from Silicon Valley, has created a $1 million prize contest for smart gun technology.

“We need the iPhone of guns,” Conway told the Washington Post. “The entrepreneur who does this right could be the Mark Zuckerberg of guns. Then the venture capitalists like me will dive in, give them capital, and we will build a multibillion-dollar gun company that makes safe, smart guns.”

The big question going into the future is if these smart guns will actually sell.

“We think the market should decide,” said Lawrence G. Keane, general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, to The Washington Post.

Last edited by SoCalGunny; 03-06-2014 at 3:08 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 6:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Oak tree eh?

Anyone feel like politely asking James to explain himself? Preferably on camera?

Or maybe asking him to come on here to defend his actions?
Old 02-19-2014, 6:54 PM

I'll be there in person to tell them im no longer going to be a customer. I want them to hear from me in person that their greed and stupidity has consequences. I hate to go against one of our own but this is just more ammunition now for CA legislatures to use against us... as if the stupid List, Microstamping, 10rd cap limits, May Issue (i know the 9th circuit), "AWB" and registration isn't bad enough.... here comes "smart gun technology"
Old 02-19-2014, 6:56 PM

For f's sake. The "ruined it for the rest of us" list of financial opportunists is getting longer by the day. F'ING mag magnets, push play 80s, id chipped user authorized crap, micro stamping...

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2014, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like he is "pro-money"
Old 02-19-2014, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

what an idiot.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 02-19-2014, 7:15 PM

Armatix pos1 doesn't even satisfy micro stamping laws. Just goes to show how stupid they are.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:25 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
Armatix pos1 doesn't even satisfy micro stamping laws. Just goes to show how stupid they are.
True.
Which begs the question... Since it was submitted for testing after microstamping was certified (05-17-2013), how did it get on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale without having a microstamping array?

Armatix iP1 / Steel; Polymer Pistol 3.58" .22 LR 10/24/2014

Penal Code 31910
As used in this part, "unsafe handgun" means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, for which any of the following is true:
(b) For a pistol:
(6) Commencing January 1, 2006, for all rimfire semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it does not have a magazine disconnect mechanism, if it has a detachable magazine.
(7)(A) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.
(B) The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also
unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph.
(C) The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 23900 and 23920.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-19-2014, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Smart Guns are Stupid
Old 02-19-2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
True.
Which begs the question... Since it was submitted for testing after microstamping was certified (05-17-2013), how did it get on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale without having a microstamping array?

Penal Code 31910
As used in this part, "unsafe handgun" means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, for which any of the following is true:
(b) For a pistol:
(6) Commencing January 1, 2006, for all rimfire semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it does not have a magazine disconnect mechanism, if it has a detachable magazine.
(7)(A) Commencing January 1, 2010, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired, provided that the Department of Justice certifies that the technology used to create the imprint is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.
(B) The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also
unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph.
(C) The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 23900 and 23920.

Let's just call it the Politician Bull**** Agenda Loophole.
"The fundamental point [against gun control] is this: Do you take away the liberties of all, do you assume the guilt of all, because some people cannot handle that freedom properly? Imagine if you did, how many other freedoms would have to be taken away." - Peter Hitchens.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
True.

Very interesting, I didn't even think about that. I figured they got on roster before the implementation of microstamping laws.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:59 PM

I believe it's listed as "a safety device" or some crap. So, it's not even on the roster.
Old 02-19-2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
I believe it's listed as "a safety device" or some crap. So, it's not even on the roster.

It's on the roster... Not exactly sure how it was approved. But I'm sure there was some designed loophole or exceptions the politicians made for it...
"The fundamental point [against gun control] is this: Do you take away the liberties of all, do you assume the guilt of all, because some people cannot handle that freedom properly? Imagine if you did, how many other freedoms would have to be taken away." - Peter Hitchens.
Old 02-19-2014, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Sent them an email
Old 02-19-2014, 8:59 PM

Sounds like someone duped Conway out of a $1 million dollars...seriously? A million bucks to come up with an unimaginative RFID chip for a .22 caliber handgun used for...self defense? Target shooting? They can't ccw with it since it's in LA....

I mean with a quarter of that money you couldda paid that Red Jacket crew to come with something that'll "open up a whole new market..."
Old 02-19-2014, 9:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
I'll be there in person to tell them im no longer going to be a customer. I want them to hear from me in person that their greed and stupidity has consequences. I hate to go against one of our own but this is just more ammunition now for CA legislatures to use against us... as if the stupid List, Microstamping, 10rd cap limits, May Issue (i know the 9th circuit), "AWB" and registration isn't bad enough.... here comes "smart gun technology"
Don't feel bad. He's proven he's not "one of our own." We know the so called technology is crap. The intent isn't to stop crime. In the same way, that the whole bogus list, is meant as a frontal attack upon the Second Amendment. I can remember when it first passed, and there were anti-gun legislators, unhappy that guns were actually passing the test.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:07 PM

Actually it's a brilliant move....the only question is if it's an intended brilliant move or an unintended one. Why?

By the act of offering the 'smrt' gun for sale he triggers a provision in NJ's smart gun law that prohibits the selling of all non 'smrt' guns within 3 years of smrt guns being available at retail.

He just put a clock to ban all handguns except 1 in NJ starting now. Can you imagine how much of a briar patch that would put NJ in and the resulting court case that would declare smrt gun technology for what it is a defacto ban on firearms.

For who lose hope remember what they said about how terrible the open carry bans were going to be and how it wouldn't help at all with the CCW may issue....

BTW for those who wish to read the NJ bill in question....the 'Childproof Handgun law'...because it's for the children...although maybe someone should explain how much more quickly kids learn to use technology than adults....

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bi...000/700_S1.PDF

Old 02-19-2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardsubtil View Post
Sounds like someone duped Conway out of a $1 million dollars...seriously? A million bucks to come up with an unimaginative RFID chip for a .22 caliber handgun used for...self defense? Target shooting? They can't ccw with it since it's in LA....

I mean with a quarter of that money you couldda paid that Red Jacket crew to come with something that'll "open up a whole new market..."
Ron Conway wants all guns banned, he would gladly pay 100 Million to ban 99% of all handguns. It's not about who wins the 'prize' it's the fact there are smrt guns even being made.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:34 PM

Sad to say only way to stop this is run anyone who starts to sell them out of business and maybe gun shops will get the hint. Not to mention the company may go bankrupt anyway, a gun with German electronics!?!? The only Bosch product I've had that didn't suck was a vacuum.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:54 PM

Too many skeet shooters that don't give a "F" about handguns. He has his nitch group but I will never go back now. DAMN I liked that place too. What an "A" hole.
Old 02-19-2014, 9:56 PM

I'm sure this is somewhere on the ban list...but I'd rather have a knife by my bedside than one of these things. Annoying!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Wasn't there the Magna Trigger back in the 70's?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally200 View Post
For f's sake. The "ruined it for the rest of us" list of financial opportunists is getting longer by the day. F'ING mag magnets, push play 80s, id chipped user authorized crap, micro stamping...

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
Yup this idiot and Ares Armor are the biggest idiots on earth and should be completely shunned by anyone in favor of the 2A and hopefully they will go bankrupt and be forced out of the firearms industry.
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Isn't this turd like $10,000?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:54 PM

His range sits in a wildlife corridor for endangered species….perhaps this "techno-man" deserves to have it shut down.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Smart guns, advocates say, will have huge appeal to buyers. “If you have two cars, and one has an air bag and one doesn’t, are you going to buy the one without the air bag?” said Belinda Padilla, president of Armatix’s U.S. operation. “It’s your choice, but why would you do that?”

^^^
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 02-19-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 PM

Smart cars, smart homes, smart gun, everything is smart except the people.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously can't we look into HOW exactly the armatix was able to bypass microstamping?! I'll donate $50 ..If it can get somewhere. Why was it allowed onto the roster...show me the exemption in the penal code that allowed the gun onto the roster ... Who at DOJ signed off on the exemption and what code can they cite that gave them the authority?! To include Harris ..... Is it possible we can kill it with legislative and investigative fire ?!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think paragraph (B) satisfies the reason for a exemption!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad 11 View Post
Smart Guns are for Stupid People
FIFY

I've yet to see any "Smart Technology" thingy that improves the human condition that politicians claim to be fixing.

This RFID idea is plain stupid and solves nothing in the case a criminal that gets a hold of the key or tears apart the gun and finds a way to circumvent the mechanisms which will happen, just ask the people who keep inventing new copy protection mechanisms for DVD & BluRay discs etc...

As a firearm consumer I will never support "Smart" technology or microstamping...
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Used to like that place. I'm not going to be their customer anymore. Well, I might stop by to let them know that. Even if they pull the damn thing off the shelves, they should've known better, and I hope that they'll lose their business.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 AM

Location: Glorious Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Crapitalism at its finest. Grease government legislature to force people to use a certain product, that is conveniently monopolized by the greaser.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 AM

Here is a link to their website and contact info. I would assume that we don't need to live by there to voice our disdain for their ill placed track in regards to this "smart" techonology and its affects on 2A issues.

And regards to this comment:
Quote:
Smart guns, advocates say, will have huge appeal to buyers. “If you have two cars, and one has an air bag and one doesn’t, are you going to buy the one without the air bag?” said Belinda Padilla, president of Armatix’s U.S. operation. “It’s your choice, but why would you do that?”

Let us remember, driving is a privelege, not a right. Owning a firearm is a right.. not vice a versa. Use the analogy that if "smart guns" become a requirement, gee, in order to print books they must have an electronic lock on them in the event they have age restricted material that young people should not see. Make smart books so that kids can't read or see stuff that isn't meant for those under 18.......

http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/

Phone: (661)-259-7441
Fax: (661)-259-7738
Email: info@oaktreegunclub.com

Last edited by 4473; 02-20-2014 at 3:31 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 1:22 AM

It's only purpose is to make things more difficult for legal gunowners,
and help with the push for more gun-control

It will drive up the cost of a firearm.
It will escalate the maintenance on said firearm.
It will increase the unreliability of the firearm.

It will increase the confusion when you own multiple firearms...
Which watch goes with which firearm ? Choosing incorrectly
and wearing the wrong watch Could cost you your life.

It would be a tell sign you are concealed carrying (CCW),
because most people no longer wear watches because of smart phones.

Criminals could use signal jammers to effectively disable your
firearm and leave you defenseless and at their mercy.

Imagine it's 2 o'clock in the morning, and you hear someone breaking
into your home. The extra time involved and awkwardness of having to
find your watch and firearm and put them on in the darkness could once again
have deadly consequences for you and your family.

If your battery in the watch goes out so does your firearm...
possibly when you need it the most.

If the rfid chip reqires a battery (in the firearm ) and goes out,
you are also defenseless...and once again possibly when you need it the most.
Most RFID chips don't require a battery, so I don't know if this is valid
observation or not... don't know what type of RFID they will use.

If you lose the watch or if it is stolen, you've lost the capability of
defending yourself.

What if you are in extreme weather conditions ?
Batteries and electronic devices can stop operating if it's too cold to hot.

For that matter, if you leave the watch & gun locked in your car on a hot day,
they may not be operational and ready for immediate self-defense.

What if the government decides to keep a database, and can selectively
turn on or turn off individual firearms from a distance ? With the current
level of shenanigans our own Government has been caught doing,
this is no longer a wildly implausible possibility.

In Just five minutes I've already come up with a long list of reasons why
this is a very bad idea, unless of course, your actual agenda is to push
for more gun-control, and reduce the pool of people who can afford a firearm.

Noble
Old 02-20-2014, 1:56 AM

Since Oak Tree is a registered vendor on this site, why doesn't someone here (someone more knowledgeable on this subject than me) ask on their vendor page exactly why they're doing this. Let them know that selling this junk will cause many of us to avoid Oak Tree Gun Club, and will hurt their pocket
Old 02-20-2014, 3:45 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
By the act of offering the 'smrt' gun for sale he triggers a provision in NJ's smart gun law that prohibits the selling of all non 'smrt' guns within 3 years of smrt guns being available at retail.

He just put a clock to ban all handguns except 1 in NJ starting now. Can you imagine how much of a briar patch that would put NJ in and the resulting court case that would declare smrt gun technology for what it is a defacto ban on firearms.

For who lose hope remember what they said about how terrible the open carry bans were going to be and how it wouldn't help at all with the CCW may issue....

BTW for those who wish to read the NJ bill in question....the 'Childproof Handgun law'...because it's for the children...although maybe someone should explain how much more quickly kids learn to use technology than adults....

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bi...000/700_S1.PDF

Forget NJ.

Take a look at SB 293, a bill in the current CA legislative process. With the Armatix pistol on the roster, we are halfway there.

People need to pay attention to this.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:28 AM
Calguns Addict

**** this guy.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:36 AM

I think I picked the right to to retire and move to Arizona.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:45 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGunny View Post
Im never going back to that place that i used to work at and shoot there weekly im never going back.

They are pouring gasoline on the anti gun call for "Smart Gun technology"... WHY???? Well its because they are the only one selling it.

This really pisses me off that they are being SO STUPID as to give more ideas for regulations for the anti gunners to call into law.

Way to go Oak Tree. Im sure im not the only one who will never go back after such BS was spread to a national newspaper.

I hate to be against a gun range and gun shop but this is total crap and im not going to stand for it.

Think Microstamping is a PITA? Well add Smart Gun Technology to the list i bet within the next year

It can never be mandated: "The cost is high. Amatrix’s iP1, a .22-caliber pistol, is priced at $1,399 — plus $399 for the watch. A .40-caliber Glock handgun can be had for about $600."

I agree with Keane: “We think the market should decide,” said Lawrence G. Keane, general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The vast majority of people will never buy such things.

Remember: There are already approximately 300 million privately owned firearms in the U.S.A.

Where are all those guns going?

Nowhere.

The genie has been out of the bottle for years.

And some tactically unsound, overpriced, unreliable gadget gun can never put it back.

If the anti-gun crowd wants to buy those guns for themselves, that's fine.

They are free to be stupid about their gun buying decisions.

Decl. of Indep., July 4, 1776

NRA Benefactor/Life Member; Lifer: CRPA, GOA, SAF & JPFO

Old 02-20-2014, 5:48 AM

I used to buy from Oak Tree a lot of staff. Will go today and will try to confirm this BS. If it is really like that, I will not buy anything from them!!! I know a lot of people in their shop and I will make sure they hear my message.