Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-11-2014, 8:52 PM
Default Courts & Detentions Deputy -to- Deputy Sheriff.

I was wondering if it is easy for a Courts & Detentions Deputy to become a Deputy Sheriff. Particularly in San Diego County.

If it is possible, how does that work? Do you have to apply for it with the rest of the civilians or is it a different process?

If you do transfer after a few years, do you have to go through the 25 week academy? Or is there a shorter one for a detention deputy?

Lastly, if you do go back to the academy, do you retain your pay and seniority? Or do you start from the bottom again?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-11-2014, 9:02 PM

Mickael sent you a P.M.
Old 02-12-2014, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Most likely you will have easier time getting hire because you already work for the department. Also, your hiring process will go lot faster as well. As for the academy, most likely you will have to start all over again.

Your pay step should increase because you are trying to become Deputy Sheriff so your pay should increaes, not decrease.
ďNobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ainít how hard you can hit. Itís how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. Itís how much you can take, and keep moving forward."
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Correctional Deputies in San Diego will go through a separate academy that is 12-16 weeks if I remember correctly. They tend to get preferential treatment in the background process as they are already members of the department but will have to go through the entire background process again just like everyone else. PT, Oral, Med, Written etc... The Sworn academy in SD is 26 weeks and is held on the same campus as the CD however they have no interaction with each other except in passing.

You will receive a pay grade increase over base compared to someone just coming in if I remember correctly but you will not get more seniority as they are two completely different classifications. You will retain your sick, comp and vacation banks though.

I had Two SDSO guys in my squad in the academy in SD and both were CD's before they went sworn. Great department good luck I hope this helps

Last edited by ak_in_ca; 02-16-2014 at 12:53 PM..