Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Danner Acadia vs Fort Lewis

Couldn't find any threads that directly dealt with this, but I currently use the Nike SF boot. I've had them for about 9 months and the soles started separating from the upper by month 6.

I'm considering getting a pair of Danners. I have looked at the steel toe Acadia's and the 10" Fort Lewis. I was wondering if anyone has worn both boots and can give me their opinions on the fit/feel/possible differences (aside from obvious like weight, full leather vs partial leather, and steel vs non steel toe). I've also never worn a steel toe boot, so any input on this would be helpful. I've also heard there is a sizing is not consistent with between the two models. Anyone else heard this/know if there is truth to this? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 AM

Correction, non steel toe Acadia's.

Old 01-31-2014, 7:53 AM

First double check with your uniform policy... Especially if you're agency is using that lexipol garbage. At one point there were only a few restrictions with my agency but after adopting lexipol it was quickly learned "steel toe" was out of the question.

I've used Acadia's going on 9 years and think they're extremely comfortable - once broken in... I recently bought a pair of the Oakley SI assault and aside from being somewhat comfortable theyre garbage. They look like your Nike's... I'm waiting until these completely wear before I break out the Acadias again... I will caution you, they take at least 2-3 weeks of solid use to break in

In re: to sizing they're true to fit, at least for me. Most of my everyday shoes are size 12 because i have wide feet... But my danners are 11.5E (wide) and fit perfect.

Nice thing about danners is you can always re-sole for $50-100 and in theory have a brand new already broken in boot!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM

Sale ends today: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=886359

I picked up a pair of uninsulated Acadia's for $199 shipped.
"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." - Heraclitus
Old 01-31-2014, 2:18 PM

I wore Acadias for years; heavy duty boot, but built like tanks! For warrant service it is the only boot I will wear.
Old 01-31-2014, 3:51 PM

Dude get one of each! I have both. Once I got my Ft Lewis's with the 200G thinsulate, I didn't wear the acadias much. They are heavy though. You'll get used to it. If you have a long foot pursuit you'll notice it a bit.
Old 01-31-2014, 7:47 PM

I have the fort Lewis and the recon. I like the recon because they are all leather like the fort lewis and not as tall. I switch boots every month to make them last. Both broke in fast. I have resoled them numerous times. Danners are built to last!!

Last edited by Turnkey97; 01-31-2014 at 8:51 PM..
Old 02-01-2014, 7:38 AM

I switched from 5.11 to the acadias back in November. Best decision I could have made. They are extremely comfortable. They are heavier but look as if they will hold up a lot longer. I had to put an insole in them,as the plastic insert they provide just didn't work for me.
Old 02-01-2014, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't worn the Ft. Lewis boots. I have worn the Danner Acadia for years. They've been outstanding. The fabric sides help a lot in hot weather.

I've always had foot problems and have have surgeries on both feet. As a result there are very few shoes and boots that I can really wear. Most boots wind up in the trash real fast. The Danners and Chippewa are about the only boots that work for me, and the Danners are at the top of the list.

I've tried several of the "High Tech" boots on the market without any real success. About the only advantage they have is their light weight. I know that's a big advantage if you're rucking some long distances, but in my case it's simply from the radio car to call and back to the radio car. Having some more weight actually seems to help keep the boot solid.

Like others, I've also found the molded insoles and molded welts do not hold hold up well.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. Sarcoblaster, that site did have a pretty good deal, unfortunately the only size they had left in stock for the fort Lewis was a women's 5.5. Luckily I was able to pick up a pair of fort Lewis' for a similar price. Should get here in about a week.

Old 02-04-2014, 2:33 PM

Look at the danner recon
Old 02-12-2014, 9:20 AM

I did the cheaper glue on sole boots for years (5.11, Magnum, Rocky, etc...) Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Acadias three years ago and they are still going strong. Just need to get them resoled. Best boots Ive ever owned
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 AM

13 years in Danners. I'm not a runner so they work well for me. They shine nice and re-sole well. I've got a pair of Oakley's but they just sit on top of my locker.
Old 02-19-2014, 8:21 AM

Danner 21210 Acadia, American made, quality.
Old 02-19-2014, 8:35 AM

Danner way to go...actually they are not as heavy as they appear to be....21 yrs in them