Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-30-2014, 9:37 PM

Default Barnes 168 TTSX for 308

Hello All,
I have been loading 168smk with 42 grains of IMR4064 with excellent results. It is near the starting load and i have no reason to achieve faster loads, as accuracy is paramount. The Barnes manual says that the most accurate load is Varget, but that stuff is nonexistent in this market. My question is: Would it be safe to use the same load for the 168 Barnes TTSX, seeing as though it is near the starting load? If anyone has any other info for 308 loads using this bullet, please comment. Thanks! BTW, I called every CA senator while I was at work on Tues to urge them to oppose SB808!!! Do your part!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

First, why are you wanting to use the TTSX? If the answer is you're hunting with it, then you are looking at this the wrong way. You need to push copper bullets near max to get proper expansion, or you will get pencil holes and lost game. So, yes - if you're hunting you DO have a reason to achieve higher velocities. You'll need to work up a load at or near the max load to get the right terminal ballistics, and that is paramount over accuracy (as important as accuracy might be).

Second, load data is similar but different enough for lead vs. lead free that I would not make assumptions. Call Barnes and speak to a tech. Tell them what you have on hand and what bullet you're planning to use, and they'll likely have a solution for you. They have a lot of load data that is not published on their website, and all you have to do is call them and ask.

In general, you go one size smaller in bullet weight and push it faster. In your case (and co-incidentally mine), work up a load with the 150gr TTSX.

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

-Wm F. Buckley

Last edited by bigbossman; 01-31-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info! I will call them soon.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

PM me and I can give you all the load data you need. For hunting speed with the non-lead(Barnes) bullets is most important. Also a Barnes bullet will act like a lead core bullet 30% heiver. The TTSX expands faster and more positive than the TSX bullets. You might want to go with the 130gr TTSX bullet in the 308. The 150gr TTSX bullet will also work.
Old 02-01-2014, 8:43 AM

Bigbossman and Divernhunter's info about Barnes bullets, max speed and going lighter than conventional lead core bullets is right on the money.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The node should be about the same. But will be off by a little due to the design of the bullet and other aspects as well. But that accuracy window should be about close. So you wont really need a FULL work up.

Never shot these bullets personally but just going off of my own experiences.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
The node should be about the same. But will be off by a little due to the design of the bullet and other aspects as well. But that accuracy window should be about close. So you wont really need a FULL work up.

Never shot these bullets personally but just going off of my own experiences.
I have shot these bullets, and can tell you my direct experience.......

My rifle is a K98 action with an Adams & Bennett barrel bedded in a synthetic stock and chambered in 30-06.

My standard lead load was 45gr of H4895 behind a 165gr Sierra Game King. That produced 100 yards groups at just under 1"

My new load is 50.5gr of IMR4895 and the Barnes 150gr TTSX (max load for that powder/bullet is specified as 51gr)

I got load data from Barnes, started at mid-point, and worked up in .5gr increments. ALL groups were over 1" at 100 yards, but the one at 50.5 was slightly better than the rest, so I settled on it.

In ALL group, the POI was about 6" high and 6" right of the POI for the Sierra GK load, which means that I cannot use my old lead loads in this rifle without re-zeroing the rifle....... the two different POI's are just not close at all.

The Cliff Notes: Accuracy suffers a bit, and the POI is significantly different.

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

-Wm F. Buckley

Last edited by bigbossman; 02-01-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-01-2014, 8:46 PM

I've worked this load up in my re-barreled M98 action from 40-44 grains of IMR 4895 in .308 and have found my best accuracy at 43.0 grains. But that's loaded at 2.9 inches because I can get away with it with the long action and a long chamber throat so YMMV.

I'd probably down-load from your proposed 42 grains to 40-41 just to be safe starting, especially if you keep the OAL within recommended specs as these bullets are LONG and you'll run into compressed loads with pretty meager amounts of powder.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Nothing wrong with compressed loads.
Load them as hot as possible in the book to work best.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Barnes TTSX 168 grain out of my 30/06 using RL-19 puts them sub moa at 100 yards. As for expansion, well they have done just fine for killing anything in California and Monatana. From pigs to Elk busting shoulder bones to clean lung shots. They're a very good bullet in my books.