Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-29-2014, 8:32 PM

Default What are they and who made em

Got a lot if these. Anyone know who made em what brand. Fig they are for forming cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2014, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing case mouth expanders?
Old 01-30-2014, 2:16 PM

Pretty sure you are right. Was hoping for a maker. YouTube vid or more info.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2014, 2:33 PM

Is it for Swaging?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 PM

based on the die body and locking rings, they look to be either Redding or RCBS.

BUT, the mandrels sure look a lot like Sinclair neck turning or neck expanding Mandrels..
Old 01-31-2014, 7:10 AM

I do not know. There seems to be a conflict. The pilots do not have threads. I 'think' I see marks on the side that would indicate they are held with a set screw. I can not see if the die bodies have threads, if the die bodies have threads the pilots are designed for a neck trimmer or case trimmer.

If there is a set screw in the top of the die body it is used to hold the pilots.

The RCBS neck expander is threaded in the top. Adapting larger expanders to smaller expands has increased the demand for extra expanders because most of the expanders share the same thread.

There are common expanders, then there are those that want to shoot lead bullets in a bottle neck cases where and want a good bullet fit and flare.

For the most part, there is no money to be made modifying, but when someone comes in and purchases all the equipment from a very talented and creative reloader the intent of the tool requires time and research.

F. Guffey
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM

I can see the top of the die body on the left has been peened in an attempt to tighten the hole.

The die body should have some type of identifying mark on the top. The die bodies could be have been purchases as die blanks.

F. Guffey

Last edited by fguffey; 01-31-2014 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Add die blanks
Old 01-31-2014, 3:45 PM

Default Thanks

The tops are held by set screws the die bodies look the same. I got em from a guy who was also into some precession stuff way past my pay grade. They came with two Corbin presses a sweet mini lathe and a room full of reloading stuff. Seems apparent they are for forming the neck of case. I have a lot of custom dies that have been cut down and mod out. Stuff like I had never seen. Subsonic was his deal. Seemed strange there are a lot of doubles in all the stuff I got.
Old 01-31-2014, 4:35 PM

It is a neck expander die used for turning necks or resizing without the expander button and expanding the neck in a separate operation to reduce neck runout. I reduced the diameter of my .223 AR full length die expander button .001 to have more neck tension and not have to crimp my necks for my AR15 loads. With the expander die I have two larger expanders plus the one in the FL die. When I full length resize for my .223 bolt action I use the expander die to expand the neck, which reduces neck runout due to a off center expander button or uneven case neck thickness.

Sinclair Expander Dies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA2U8WHHr9U

Complete Precision Case Prep
http://www.accurateshooter.com/featu...ion-case-prep/

Boy Scout motto, be prepared!

P.S. fguffey, I'm always amazed at what you don't know.

Last edited by bigedp51; 01-31-2014 at 4:41 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/c..._complete.html

They are expand irons like those made by K-M in the link above.

When your turning necks on your precision brass so it fits your chamber concentrically and not pushed over to one side like most brass these are used to make sure the necks fit onto the turning mandrel without excessive clearance.

On wildcat cartridges they are used to create a false shoulder in the parent case so the base of the case doesn't move forward into the chamber from the firing pin strike.By holding the case firmly in place you avoid thinning the brass right in front of the web area but you can still move the shoulder forward and 1/8 inch without the headspace issues you read about here daily.

Last edited by LynnJr; 01-31-2014 at 4:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 6:46 PM

I love cal guns if I had a nickel for everything I didn't know. The fellow I got em from was way into 300 Whisper. Also got boxes of 221 fireball sized to 300 Whisper. Thanks for the help

Old 01-31-2014, 7:00 PM