Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-29-2014, 2:33 PM
Banned

Default 12 year old Dillon breaks

Disappointment! My 12 year old Square Deal broke the crank arm at roughly 220,000 rounds. I thought it would go at least 500,000 rounds, like my Glocks. And with only 168 rounds for Saturdays USPSA match, not enough to run 6 stages. But the new part will be here on Friday, so I will catch up in time. Lesson learned: load at least 1-2 weeks ahead and order 9mm caliber conversion and dies for my old 550 as a backup.

Old 01-29-2014, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Ouch..

Do you press like you're mad at the brass? haha.. that's crazy. Love putting equipment to work.
Old 01-29-2014, 2:41 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

What did Dillon say? Are they replacing it?
Old 01-29-2014, 2:46 PM

WOW 220,000 rds!
Old 01-29-2014, 4:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemonkey View Post
What did Dillon say? Are they replacing it?
Yes, of course, all Dillon presses are lifetime warrantied, except the 1050, which is commercial. I should be up and running Friday night, in time to crank out another 100 rounds for the USPSA match on Saturday.
Old 01-29-2014, 4:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post
Ouch..

Do you press like you're mad at the brass? haha.. that's crazy. Love putting equipment to work.
I load standing up, so yes, you can exert a greater amount of force than sitting down with less effort.

I knew it was pitching out on the last few rounds, didn't feel right...
Old 01-29-2014, 5:11 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Interesting looking casting. There seem to be a lot of inclusions and voids.

Maybe it's just the lighting.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 01-29-2014, 5:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
Interesting looking casting. There seem to be a lot of inclusions and voids.

Maybe it's just the lighting.
No, I agree, looks like a metallurgical issue, it broke the left swing arm 3 years ago, and looked like the same failure. Especially the large void in the lower right of the crank arm which matches the lower left of the stud. Doesn't matter, replacement parts are free.
Old 01-29-2014, 5:45 PM
Banned

I wonder what the percentage of popular reloading presses are cast this way? I don't mean to **** talk your press, but that looks like some pretty piss poor metallurgy.
Old 01-29-2014, 6:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
I wonder what the percentage of popular reloading presses are cast this way? I don't mean to **** talk your press, but that looks like some pretty piss poor metallurgy.
Yea,and it only lasted for 220,00 rounds
Old 01-29-2014, 6:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Yea,and it only lasted for 220,00 rounds
Which is awesome, but it doesn't change the fact that that casting looks like ***.

Maybe it doesn't matter. I think I could live with my press hitting 220k before breaking even if it was made out duct tape and bubblegum.

Any busted knuckles?
Old 01-29-2014, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

This is why forged is ALWAYS better than cast.

If it makes you feel better, I snapped a Lyman hand press in my hand once. The Lee hand press I bought to replace it is half the weight, and twice as strong.

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...
Old 01-29-2014, 6:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Which is awesome, but it doesn't change the fact that that casting looks like ***.

Maybe it doesn't matter. I think I could live with my press hitting 220k before breaking even if it was made out duct tape and bubblegum.

Any busted knuckles?
No busted knuckles, it just didn't feel right. Last few rounds were too long.
Old 01-29-2014, 6:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post
This is why forged is ALWAYS better than cast.

If it makes you feel better, I snapped a Lyman hand press in my hand once. The Lee hand press I bought to replace it is half the weight, and twice as strong.
I can't load 20,000 rounds a year on a hand press, that would leave no time for shooting. That's why you run a progressive, to crank 400-1,500 rounds per hour, depending on the model.
Old 01-29-2014, 6:59 PM

Dillon received my XL650 for a refurbish on the 20th and it will arrive at my door this Friday, Jan. 31. Bought it in 1992. Can't wait to see the fixes and updates. They stand behind their products, as you have attested to. Good luck on your shoot.
Old 01-29-2014, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can't load 20,000 rounds a year on a hand press, that would leave no time for shooting. That's why you run a progressive, to crank 400-1,500 rounds per hour, depending on the model.
I wasn't suggesting you get one. I mainly have that one so I can deprime while watching TV. I have a Dillon 650 in the garage...

I was just making a point about the superiority of forged aluminum vs. cast.

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Disappointment! My 12 year old Square Deal broke the crank arm at roughly 220,000 rounds. I thought it would go at least 500,000 rounds, like my Glocks. And with only 168 rounds for Saturdays USPSA match, not enough to run 6 stages. But the new part will be here on Friday, so I will catch up in time. Lesson learned: load at least 1-2 weeks ahead and order 9mm caliber conversion and dies for my old 550 as a backup.

Wow that looks like painted foam. Good thing they are sending you a replacement. I expected a more solid linear look to the metal...

Are their metal pieces light?
Old 01-30-2014, 6:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Wow that looks like painted foam. Good thing they are sending you a replacement. I expected a more solid linear look to the metal...
That's typical of how cast aluminum looks. That's why cast pieces have to be physically larger to obtain the same strength as a forged piece.

Quote:
Are their metal pieces light?
No. Not when compared to forged. Forged pieces are first molded into larger pieces, and then machined to the correct dimensions. They are much lighter, and much stronger. This is why if you ever have a choice between forged aluminum, or cast aluminum, get forgedů

Old 01-30-2014, 7:14 AM

Get the TIG welder out.
Old 01-30-2014, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark501w View Post
Get the TIG welder out.
Might cause a spark and ignite all that unburnt powder
Old 01-30-2014, 8:11 AM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, of course, all Dillon presses are lifetime warrantied, except the 1050, which is commercial. I should be up and running Friday night, in time to crank out another 100 rounds for the USPSA match on Saturday.

Rock on. I expected that response, just curious if they considered it "commercial volume" and were going to be jerks about it (maybe you didn't tell them that). It looks like a casting defect so I am glad they are standing behind it. It's stories like this that make me feel good about my Dillon purchase.

So, since you load way more than I do I am curious to how long your sizing dies last. Do you use carbide? How many decapping stems have you gone through?
Old 01-30-2014, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Would you mind talking a bit about the square deal vs the 550? It sounds like the square deal makes you 9mm faster than the 550. Is that true?
Old 01-30-2014, 8:56 AM

^^I don't necessarily think the SDB is any faster than a 550 if you get your technique down with the 550. The only thing different in the operation of the two presses is that the SDB is auto indexing. With the 550 if you turn the shellplate as you bring your left hand up to station 3 with the bullet then the auto indexing is really no faster. What makes a press fast is a casefeeder+auto indexing like with a 650 or 1050.

To highlander, that is why competitive shooters like to reload with Dillon equipment, eh? They're dependable and if anything goes wrong it is taken care of very quickly. Not knocking any other brand, but Dillon makes some great equipment that is meant for heavy use.
Old 01-30-2014, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

I finally sent my 650 back to Dillon last year after what I figured was 250,000 rounds loaded and 16 years of use.. they replaced all of the parts I'd expect them to and they replaced the powder measure also.. Sort of hoping I can find time to make it load that many rounds in less time (equals more shooting).. but we'll see.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad I got a Dillon, and good to hear they still offer the always-super-warranty on their products.
Old 01-30-2014, 4:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemonkey View Post
Rock on. I expected that response, just curious if they considered it "commercial volume" and were going to be jerks about it (maybe you didn't tell them that). It looks like a casting defect so I am glad they are standing behind it. It's stories like this that make me feel good about my Dillon purchase.

So, since you load way more than I do I am curious to how long your sizing dies last. Do you use carbide? How many decapping stems have you gone through?
never busted a de-prime pin in the whole time.
Old 01-30-2014, 5:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Would you mind talking a bit about the square deal vs the 550? It sounds like the square deal makes you 9mm faster than the 550. Is that true?
No, not exactly, like Cal Teacher said, it's about rhythm. Like shooting the Steel Challenge, it's the difference between 9mm and .45acp in rhythm. I can load faster on the Square Deal, but only a little bit because it is an auto progressive rather than a manual turn. However, some of my competitive shooting buddies have loaded on a 550 for decades and are faster than me. Doesn't matter because I hate reloading as much as cleaning guns, that's just all prelude to shooting competition... "Are you ready?" "Stand by" beep, ya, that's the part I like.
Old 01-30-2014, 5:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTeacher View Post
^^

To highlander, that is why competitive shooters like to reload with Dillon equipment, eh? They're dependable and if anything goes wrong it is taken care of very quickly. Not knocking any other brand, but Dillon makes some great equipment that is meant for heavy use.
Yea, if you look at the USPSA/IDPA equipment surveys, Dillon is like 90% of reloading equipment.
Old 01-30-2014, 5:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark501w View Post
Get the TIG welder out.
My buddy runs a machine shop and I could have done that, but Dillon replaces the part for free. Still, I saved the broken parts and will repair them in time as a spare. Problem is that I didn't have enough caps for the next match.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post
That's typical of how cast aluminum looks. That's why cast pieces have to be physically larger to obtain the same strength as a forged piece.

No. Not when compared to forged. Forged pieces are first molded into larger pieces, and then machined to the correct dimensions. They are much lighter, and much stronger. This is why if you ever have a choice between forged aluminum, or cast aluminum, get forgedů

Oh yeah. If I see cast vs forged, I go for forged all the time... Dunno where that got into my head, but it has been that way for a LONG time...
Old 01-31-2014, 5:03 PM
Banned

Ok, new crank arm arrived today at 1:30pm. Loaded up another 250 caps for tomorrows USPSA match, good to go. Dillon threw in a brand new ball. Happy press now... Good to go for another 12 years, I probably won't be around by then anyway.

Old 01-31-2014, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice
Old 01-31-2014, 5:30 PM
Banned

Well if you plan on going somewhere and you want to leave it to me before you leave, I will say all kinds of nice things about you here.
Old 01-31-2014, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

looks good.
my 550 broke the crank on a wed was back up by friday.
I think they make that the weak link for a reason.
gotta love dillons CS

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

Old 01-31-2014, 5:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Well if you plan on going somewhere and you want to leave it to me before you leave, I will say all kinds of nice things about you here.
Well, my plan is not to get any better in class, just outlast everyone else in age. The hardest thing about getting old is finding young ones who can take over all your guns and gear to carry on. Thanks for the offer, but you will be like # 15 inline...
Old 02-03-2014, 7:14 AM

Also received my "refurbished" 650 on the 31st. I had sent a $77 check for refurbishing, they returned it and the invoice was marked "warranty". They replaced $500 dollars worth of parts based on the invoice and going through the checklist and checking the new parts, it's more new than old. Kudo's to Dillon.