Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-22-2014, 6:04 PM

Default El Dorado County LTC timeline + process commentary

I not so recently moved from Sacramento County to El Dorado County(early Sept) and I'm in the process of wrapping up getting my El Dorado County LTC.

Before moving, I had my Sacramento LTC for about a year.

El Dorado timeline:
Aug 28,2013 - Signed up for an initial appointment (Oct 11)
Oct 11,2013 - Initial interview and live scan all at once. ~30 minute block in the morning
Jan 17,2014 - Missed call for "main" interview
Jan 20-22,2014 - Made many calls to try to get "main" interview. Got afternoon appointment Jan 22. From there, the available appointments went worse and worse. Shockingly, I was asked to bring in ALL the guns to be on the permit
Jan 22,2014 - 30 minute block setup. In, out, and approved. Told to call for issuing appointment. Got issuing appointment for Jan 22 in the AM.
Jan 23, 2014 - 15 minute issuance appointment. They printed out the permit, I put my thumb print in three places, and a couple signatures. No big deal.

Details from above:
Initial interview was basically a confirmation of the data on the form. Print and bring ALL pages of the form. It was here that they asked why I wanted my permit. A simple "I want to protect myself and family" was all I said. I then did my LiveScan, paid by personal check, and walked out the door.

"Main" interview was basically confirmation of the data on the form AND the results of the LiveScan. It also included looking at the DROS information for all guns to be on the permit. I found one of my guns has a lot of previous owners After getting approved, they went through the rules of basically no alcohol or bars, then we went out and verified the serials on the guns along with how modified they were(ie hair triggers, etc) No money needed.

Issuing appointment was a simple as walking in with the completed pack, put my thumb print on the permit, sign the permit, and walk out. No money needed.

Between the initial interview and the "main" interview, I called twice to find out what was going on. It turns out DOJ is very backlogged thus the long gap. But also, El Dorado County does not send mail for any of the verifications.

Compared to the Sacramento process, El Dorado was a little easier but some things were different:
Sacramento has an initial interview then send a snail mail as to whether you are "initially" approved then they send you to another office for Live Scan. Then you need to mail a copy of the Live Scan paperwork back to the sheriff. While easy, it is a bit time consuming.

Sacramento's "main" interview is the approval/denial. You have to go online and schedule an appointment. On approval, they mail the permit to your house. In my case, I got it in under a week.

Sacramento required all payments to be by bank/Postal money order. No personal checks. El Dorado took personal check.

Sacramento had three payments involved: initial interview($20), Live Scan($180), and issuance interview($80). El Dorado had ONE payment at the initial interview($123)

Sacramento permit is limited to three. El Dorado permit had no limit. They allow three on the front of the permit and the rest on the back.

Training differences:
In Sacramento, you need to take an approved 16 hour LTC training class. And then you need to qualify with each gun on the permit.

In El Dorado, they wanted an 8 hour LTC class taken within the last year. My most recent class was a CCW level 4 class with LFI (Advanced Shooting Positions) They made a copy of my certificate and that was all. They didn't ask for any qualifications on the guns.

Either county was easy to get a permit. BUT both required a fair amount of flexibility to get appointments in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited by LTC-J; 01-23-2014 at 3:15 PM.. Reason: Added El Dorado Issuance info
Old 01-22-2014, 6:54 PM

Thanks for the summary. It seems like an amazingly inefficient, bureaucratic process. It's too bad it's that way for such an important process.
Old 01-23-2014, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Thanks for the summary. It seems like an amazingly inefficient, bureaucratic process. It's too bad it's that way for such an important process.
It is definitely bureaucratic... I'm not sure about the efficiency.

Live scan seems to be one of the bigger bottlenecks and it isn't an LTC specific process. When I did it in Sacramento over a year ago, it was completed in ~30 days and I got a snail mail from the Sheriff. This time in El Dorado though, it took over 60 days.

In El Dorado County, they appear to have two people devoted to the process full time: one person doing the initial interview/live scan, and then issuing the permit. Another person doing the "main" interview. This is sort of okay given the small population of El Dorado County.

In Sacramento though, it appeared they also have two people doing all the work: one doing all the interview stuff and one doing live scan. That is a horrid setup.

When I say "people" in both the above, I mean someone on any given day doing activities... not necessarily the same person all the time.

I do think applicants in both counties would benefit from having "extended hours". I was lucky to have a flexible schedule where I could jump on appointments when there popped up. People with a 8-5 type job would have to take vacation if they can and plan grabbing an appointment around that.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 PM

At least you can get one. Sheriff D'Agostini has and is making the system more fluid with less wait time. I would love it if he was our Sheriff but...

BTW, congratulations on getting a LTC permit.
The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Quote:
200 bullets at a time......
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/198981/life01.jpg

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 04-29-2014, 7:39 PM

Just thought I'd add to this for time line purposes..
02-15-2014: Took the CCW class with SDS CONCEPTS...8 hrs..160$
03-11-2014: Scheduled initial appointment
03-21-2014: Initial appointment/live scan.....30 min.....123$
04-29-2014: Interview with detective....30 min...Be honest.
04-30-2014: Pick up permit at EDSO...(this usually takes a week but I got lucky)

Kudos to John Diagostini and the staff of the El Dorado County Sheriffs Dept for moving as fast and professional as they do. They have issued between 700-1000 permits a year in the last 3-4 years. There's 250-260 working days a year so you do the math.
Old 08-02-2014, 1:30 PM

wondering what are good reasons to tell the sheriff for wanting a ccw, waiting for main interview now.
Old 08-02-2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1950 View Post
wondering what are good reasons to tell the sheriff for wanting a ccw, waiting for main interview now.
I used this for both Sac and El Dorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
It was here that they asked why I wanted my permit. A simple "I want to protect myself and family" was all I said.
Nothing more and nothing less. I have heard third hand stories of people who said more and ended up with "restricted" LTCs
Old 08-03-2014, 9:59 PM

"Good cause" or "Personal Protection" is all that needs to be said for EDC.
Old 08-06-2014, 9:01 PM

Took me 2 1/2 months for initial license in El Dorado County. Pleasant process and found everyone helpful, professional and answered all of my questions. Great Sheriff!