Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Default Stanislaus County CCW course?

I've had my CCW in Stan county for a few years now, but my GF is about to get hers. They've changed the rule since I did my last renewal, and now the course must be offered within 35 miles of the Sheriff's Office.

I previously went to WTS in Sonora, who I really liked, but that won't be an option anymore.

Any good recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=876769

About 20 entries below you in this forum at this time.

Cheers.

JR
Old 01-22-2014, 6:42 PM

You don't know that WTS won't be an option. Have you talked to them about their plans post-August, 2014? Perhaps they'll get a place within the limits before the new 35 mile policy takes affect.

Either way, the trainer has to be on the Stanislaus Sheriff's "Acceptable Courses of Training" list, so just search for reviews for those companies on CGN and Yelp and the like. Keep reviewing the Stanislaus Sheriff CCW page when you schedule and as her appointment (and your renewal) draws near.

I will be applying before the new policy and will be using WTS to complete my training (I've already done my 8 hours a Tactical with them, so just need 8 hours more of CCW legal/qualifying).

I hear good things about Trident from co-workers. I believe the range they use is in Livingston. I'll probably use them for my 4-hour renewal, but I'll still keep going to WTS for personal development. I'd still recommend her doing the Tactical 1 class with WTS now, which is useful in the home, and then do whatever 16 hours with whoever is available.

Last edited by Jason95357; 01-22-2014 at 6:46 PM..
Old 05-13-2014, 7:11 AM

Heard from WTS and after this summer they are no longer valid training for Stanislaus Co. Sheriff says he has to draw a line somewhere. Stinks that the line is the county line and they are 10 miles beyond it.
Old 05-13-2014, 7:47 AM

I used Trident Firearms Academy six years ago and they were great. But their course is way out in the boondocks as previously mentioned. So four years ago and just two weeks ago I used the Madison Society in Oakdale, since that's where I live. They use the Oakdale Sportsmen's Club in town, plus they are good instructors. I personally recommend them. Pm me for their info or you can get it from the Stanislaus Sheriff Dept website or from the link provided by Jason95357 above.

Last edited by S&W629Lover; 05-13-2014 at 7:49 AM..
Old 05-13-2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W629Lover View Post
I used Trident Firearms Academy six years ago and they were great. But their course is way out in the boondocks as previously mentioned. So four years ago and just two weeks ago I used the Madison Society in Oakdale, since that's where I live. They use the Oakdale Sportsmen's Club in town, plus they are good instructors. I personally recommend them. Pm me for their info or you can get it from the Stanislaus Sheriff Dept website or from the link provided by Jason95357 above.
Hah, so you were in the class my wife just took there as well (but I guess you were just there the first Weds for 4 hours for your renewal). Gina is a hoot.
Old 05-13-2014, 8:53 PM

Yes, was there for Wednesday night class only. Was in the first group on the line for shooting, it was fun but they had very little time to finish before the range closed. I'm an active member there and a Range Officer. We have to stop all shooting at 9:00pm. We're surrounded by a park, a golf course and big custom houses- none of which were there when the club was started. Times change. Anyway, yes Gena and the other gal are great instructors. Had fun. Glad to hear your wife has or is getting her CCW.
Old 05-13-2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W629Lover View Post
Yes, was there for Wednesday night class only. Was in the first group on the line for shooting, it was fun but they had very little time to finish before the range closed. I'm an active member there and a Range Officer. We have to stop all shooting at 9:00pm. We're surrounded by a park, a golf course and big custom houses- none of which were there when the club was started. Times change. Anyway, yes Gena and the other gal are great instructors. Had fun. Glad to hear your wife has or is getting her CCW.
Ya'all should open up membership to women. My wife and daughters won't let our family join with that policy (and I agree - my wife and girls shouldn't need me to go shoot their guns).
Old 05-14-2014, 5:25 AM

Ya, I have no idea why that policy is still in play. I agree with you and your family.