Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 4:00 PM

Question Looking to get my 80% AK receiver formed/bent

I'm in LB. Is there anyone that provides such a service? How much? I just bought the flat metal receiver:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...450-78868.aspx

Also, what sorts of kits do I need to buy to make this all work? Would something like this work? What is this thing about trunions I'm hearing? Thanks!

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...oduct_id=30556

Thanks!

Last edited by chbrules; 01-07-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 6:59 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
Is there anyone that provides such a service? How much?
No. The whole idea behind an 80% is that it is a do-it-yourself project. For someone else to do it, they need an 07 FFL, at which point they would need to serialize it, log it, and perform a background check before transfer. If you want someone to do it for you, just buy a 100% receiver.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 01-08-2014, 2:47 PM

Interesting. Didn't realize that. What about build parties where there is a press tool on hand that I could use?
Old 01-12-2014, 4:44 PM

I recently found an 80% lower on Craig's List, I went to the machine shop where they were available, I placed the 80% lower into the CNC mill, clamped it down and the owner said "push the green button" about 8 minutes later my 80% lower was now a "finished by me" 100% lower. I took it home and installed the trigger kit and mounted my upper on it. Works fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
Interesting. Didn't realize that. What about build parties where there is a press tool on hand that I could use?
Build parties are a thing of the past, as far as I know. Or unless you know the right people-but I dont.
Old 01-12-2014, 5:22 PM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNoBody View Post
I recently found an 80% lower on Craig's List, I went to the machine shop where they were available, I placed the 80% lower into the CNC mill, clamped it down and the owner said "push the green button" about 8 minutes later my 80% lower was now a "finished by me" 100% lower. I took it home and installed the trigger kit and mounted my upper on it. Works fine.
Was this before or after October? The ATF has been shutting down every single one of these operations that you just described.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 01-16-2014, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumBum View Post
Was this before or after October? The ATF has been shutting down every single one of these operations that you just described.
On what grounds? Are you not making your own parts? I think this could be argued in court. There is nothing wrong with using people's tools to do your own work.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Here is a link to the ATF cease and desist letter that Ares Armor received: http://aresarmor.com/store/media/cms...and-desist.pdf

There have been numerous threads vetting this subject. Some shops have talked to the ATF directly about people letting them use their equipment for free, but they still take issue with where the equipment is located. In other words, it's still a no-go if you are not the lawful owner/lessor of the premises. It seems the only safe option is to do the work at home with your tools. This is not to say that you cannot rent tools (I haven't seen anything saying this is not kosher), but it still must be done by you at your place.

Could this be argued in court? Maybe, but that takes someone willing to risk prosecution. So far, the ATF has been letting shops off the hook as long as they cease their activities. But the legal analysis is uncertain enough that I don't think anyone is going to take the risk. I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 01-18-2014, 1:12 AM

Ugh. Where's the NRA on this.
Old 01-18-2014, 7:37 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

There's really not much the NRA can do here. This is a matter of the ATF interpreting existing federal law from the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- 46 year-old law. It isn't new legislation where the NRA was lobbying legislators or even where they could file a lawsuit to challenge it's implementation. Courts cannot issue advisory opinions regarding an agency's interpretation of a law. It takes that agency to file a case and prosecute someone under their interpretation of the law. As I said earlier, I don't think anyone is going to stick their neck out and risk being prosecuted. The ATF's letter, while I disagree with the principle, do raise some valid legal points. Unfortunately, that's the only way this interpretation gets tested (and maybe at that point the NRA would step in, who knows?).

For the time being, home builds, where you do the work on your premises with your tools, are good to go. I would definitely expect the NRA to step in and fight any new legislation aimed at limiting or eliminating that right. For example, SB 808 will be a fight. I hope you will be there to help fight it as well.