Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-15-2013, 9:20 AM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Default Foscam Wireless IP Camera Setup & Port Forwarding

After reading many reviews/recommendations here, I bought a couple of Foscam Wireless IP cams during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday events to add to my existing security system. They can also double as kid/baby monitors.

The instruction manual that comes with the cameras is worthless. It only addresses a Linksys type router.

I also wouldn't mind hearing your feedback/tips/tricks or any type of cloud storage you use.

Here is what got me through the setup. Hope it helps.

Find your brand of router here.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/

Then watch these and go to work.

Last edited by pitbull30; 12-15-2013 at 9:22 AM..
Old 12-15-2013, 6:50 PM

I have 3 Foscam and I setup an FTP server. All captured images are send to the FTP folder, which nothing more than a DropBox folder so I have my own "cloud" backup.

I also didn't open a port on my router. Instead, I setup OpenVPN and to access my cameras, I'll have to VPN to it. This is more secure, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2013, 8:43 PM
Banned

Eye Q Eye are the cams you want...........
Old 12-15-2013, 9:26 PM

i have a handful of foscams around the house. two to monitor the baby. hoping i have things as secure as i can but definitely like the vpn idea. the cameras are set to save when motion is detected. images are uploaded via ftp and also sent by email. one of these days i'll build a dedicated system for it to record on a constant basis.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
I

I also didn't open a port on my router. Instead, I setup OpenVPN and to access my cameras, I'll have to VPN to it. This is more secure, IMHO.
+1

Poking holes in the firewall is old school.

I use an SSL VPN to connect to my internal network.
Old 12-16-2013, 9:12 AM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have 3 Foscam and I setup an FTP server. All captured images are send to the FTP folder, which nothing more than a DropBox folder so I have my own "cloud" backup.

Do you have some decent instructions/references on how I could do this?

Or anyone else who commented on VPN? I'm computer literate, but new to the camera deal.
Old 12-16-2013, 9:26 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Eye Q Eye are the cams you want...........
No... No I don't.

Foscam is perfect and easy to setup. You get a lot of camera for your money with Foscam.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

You could FTP files to an undisclosed minimalist-Linux-box, then synce those files to an off-site location via SFTP.

I have been tinkering with ssh tunnels so that the non-SSL-compliant authentication (non-https://) can be secured and listened to too, in my home, on the D-Link cameras (https on D-Links passes no audio), and PTZ on the Foscam-traffic (non-https://) is secured as none of my foscams support SSL.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull30 View Post
Do you have some decent instructions/references on how I could do this?

Or anyone else who commented on VPN? I'm computer literate, but new to the camera deal.
Sure. I have a Windows 7 "server" that runs on 24x7 running multiple things, like Plex, Splunk, etc, so this is where I also host the FTP server and OpenVPN.

1). FTP server
There are many FTP server app you can choose. UNIX have its own built-in FTP server, but if you use Windows, you can use FileZilla. When you create the folder for accepting the files, put that folder in your Dropbox folder so any images are automatically "backed-up" to the cloud.

On the Foscam, access the settings from the web browser --> Settings --> FTP and configure it with the username, password and folder you setup on the FTP server above.

2). VPN
The easiest is to use OpenVPN VMWARE image file. Download VMWare Player (FREE) and OpenVPN VMWARE image file. Follow the instructions to setup OpenVPN from their website.

VMWare Player: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads
OpenVPN virtual machine: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-...vpn-as-vm.html
OpenVPN setup: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-...art-guide.html

On the client side, I use this:
1). Android: OpenVPN for Android
2). Mac: TunnelBlick

PS: Don't forget to open port 443 and forward to your OpenVPN server.

Last edited by lanwarrior; 12-16-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12-16-2013, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Im trying out a free to use open source program called iSpy, so far so good. Check it out when you get everything set up. I upgraded to windows 8.1 and IE which i dont like using, didnt play well with activex option. And chrome, firefox it doesnt give me much control browser wise
Old 12-16-2013, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sure. I have a Windows 7 "server" that runs on 24x7 running multiple things, like Plex, Splunk, etc, so this is where I also host the FTP server and OpenVPN.

1). FTP server
There are many FTP server app you can choose. UNIX have its own built-in FTP server, but if you use Windows, you can use FileZilla. When you create the folder for accepting the files, put that folder in your Dropbox folder so any images are automatically "backed-up" to the cloud.

On the Foscam, access the settings from the web browser --> Settings --> FTP and configure it with the username, password and folder you setup on the FTP server above.

2). VPN
The easiest is to use OpenVPN VMWARE image file. Download VMWare Player (FREE) and OpenVPN VMWARE image file. Follow the instructions to setup OpenVPN from their website.

VMWare Player: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads
OpenVPN virtual machine: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-...vpn-as-vm.html
OpenVPN setup: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-...art-guide.html

On the client side, I use this:
1). Android: OpenVPN for Android
2). Mac: TunnelBlick

PS: Don't forget to open port 443 and forward to your OpenVPN server.
Or you can buy a nice used commercial grade firewall and have a hardware based IPSec VPN or SSL VPN on the gateway device without having to use any form of port forwarding to an internal network system for authentication.

You can even enable 2 factor auth for additional protection.

I just buy used Fortigate firewalls... amazing devices.

Then you don't have to rely on a VM for VPN and authentication since its done at the firewall.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:50 PM

I have a Foscam FI8918W. It was hard to set up...
Old 12-20-2013, 3:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by castelen View Post
I have a Foscam FI8918W. It was hard to set up...
It has a web-interface, right?

I have two of these. What was the hard part, aside from not wanting passwords sent though the Internet via plain text?
Old 12-20-2013, 4:26 AM

Im running four FOASCAMS three FI8910W and one 8921W. All running through NO-ip and I can access via my phone etc. I have a synology server that I am planning to use for storing images etc, I guess I will prob set up FTP for that?
Old 12-20-2013, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
Or you can buy a nice used commercial grade firewall and have a hardware based IPSec VPN or SSL VPN on the gateway device without having to use any form of port forwarding to an internal network system for authentication.

You can even enable 2 factor auth for additional protection.

I just buy used Fortigate firewalls... amazing devices.

Then you don't have to rely on a VM for VPN and authentication since its done at the firewall.
I suppose I could, but at that time I was trying to find a free solution.
Old 12-20-2013, 7:39 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc4usmc View Post
Im running four FOASCAMS three FI8910W and one 8921W. All running through NO-ip and I can access via my phone etc. I have a synology server that I am planning to use for storing images etc, I guess I will prob set up FTP for that?
Yep. Set up a local FTP server and dump images to it.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 12-20-2013, 5:22 PM

Thanks MaHoTex!
Old 12-20-2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Yep. Set up a local FTP server and dump images to it.
If you have cloud based file service like Box, Dropbox, etc.. point the ftp folder there so if the thief stole your server, the images are still saved.
Old 12-21-2013, 7:59 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you have cloud based file service like Box, Dropbox, etc.. point the ftp folder there so if the thief stole your server, the images are still saved.
That has an upside and a downside. While the benefit of having a remote FTP is so it can not be stolen, the downside is your files are on the public network. Sure, they are secure, but so was the credit data for Target shoppers.

I have never been a fan of the cloud based services, well, except for Steam Games that is.

Ultimately, either will fill the need to have a place to collect the images. I figure since I have a server running 24/7 anyway, it is the perfect place for my application.

Sh-Sh-Sha Pocket Sand!
Old 12-21-2013, 6:31 PM

I agree with you TEX...I do weekly back ups of my server and keep them off site for data security. I understand the dropbox idea for images from the FOSCAM though. May need to look at this a little more.
Old 12-21-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
That has an upside and a downside. While the benefit of having a remote FTP is so it can not be stolen, the downside is your files are on the public network. Sure, they are secure, but so was the credit data for Target shoppers.
Dropbox, like other reputable cloud-based service, is pretty secure. These are hybrid cloud service and no one have access to your folders (NSA not included ). There is a reason many companies start using these, including Box.net and Google Drive.

It's the same with email - it's more efficient and secure to use Gmail than hosting your own mail server.

Ultimately, it's the type of data you're putting on these cloud-based service. I don't put important files, like tax return, in DropBox. I archived and encrypt this using TruCrypt on separate drives that I put in safety deposit box. It's all about balancing security, cost and convenience and depends on the risks (likelihood X impact).

Regarding Target, that's a different situation IMHO. I have multiple credit cards and I don't used it on shady websites or places. Yet, I had a situation where the CC company called me about attempted fraudulent charges in a city I never been to. It's really hard to stop this - the waiter can scan your credit card for one without you knowing it.

Last edited by lanwarrior; 12-21-2013 at 7:57 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 7:06 PM

I bought the Foscam FI8910W and it looks pretty good but the software that came with it really sucks. I can't get it to work properly. I ended up using Sighthound and it's OK for free software but I might just break down and pay for it.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 12-27-2013, 7:30 PM

Subscribed for future reading, I picked up a foscam off woot a while back and gave up getting it to work with my router...
Old 12-28-2013, 8:41 AM

The Awkward Hamster video's that Pitbull30 linked above were really helpful. I found that it was easier to use Internet Explorer then it was to use Chrome. My camera linked up with my router right away but the monitoring software that came with it sucks.
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 12-28-2013, 4:44 PM
Likes Puppy Chow or Ammo
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
The Awkward Hamster video's that Pitbull30 linked above were really helpful. I found that it was easier to use Internet Explorer then it was to use Chrome. My camera linked up with my router right away but the monitoring software that came with it sucks.
Glad it helped.
Old 12-31-2013, 7:00 PM

Interesting on the popularity of foscams. I recently bought one one on Newegg Flash because the price was good and I got a stack a Promo from American Express ($10 rebate on $50 or more at neweggflash.com). I only use it as a garage door monitor, so I just have it email me when it detects motion.

I got it setup easy enough (but I do these kinds of setups for a living).

Gotta say; I would NOT ever put a Foscam open to the internet!

Short googling and you'll find some serious vulnerabilities. My model (FI8910w) was affected. Essentially, browsing a specific URL (http://x.x.x.x//../proc/kcore) will cause the camera to display a memory dump; revealing passwords, configuration, etc. information. I was able to confirm it on my model.

This was patched with the latest version of the firmware I applied... but that's just a discovered vulnerability. Doesn't mean there aren't other ways to do the same thing. Baby monitor? This guy was using it for the same thing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...-foscam-users/

Combine this vulnerability with something like shodanhq.com and you see why this is an issue. I've confirmed with a couple foscams (or similar rebrands) across the globe that this vulnerability is possible on unpatched cams.

Try it for yourself! http://www.shodanhq.com/search?q=netwave+ip+camera

For example, the third result. http://109.173.170.74//proc/kcore (Complete memory dump!) Click that and wait a while, eventually you'll start getting plain text info.

Anyway, guys advocating VPNs and the like are on the right track. It's one of the few cases where I'll say that techies aren't over complicating simple functionality.