Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Default Pistol comps/training

Hey folks and Happy Thanksgiving,
I used shoot long range comps every now and then, but recently sold my rig. I have been shooting my m&p more and more and would like to get into an idea or uspsa type competition. Before i do that i would like to get training for it. Im just looking to have fun (nothing serious) but want to be as well prepped for it as i can. If anyone could shed some light about where some matches are being held and if any of those locations provide newb training for those ready to start competing, i would be very appreciative.
I don't know if it will be of any help but i have Rauges basic handgun course under my belt (though i took it when i was 14, 7 years ago). I am comfortable with my M&P 9 and looking to take that next step. Oh and I'm located in the San Gabriel Valley with my main range being Angeles and my secondary being Prado.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2013, 6:53 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtan View Post
Hey folks and Happy Thanksgiving,
I used shoot long range comps every now and then, but recently sold my rig. I have been shooting my m&p more and more and would like to get into an idea or uspsa type competition. Before i do that i would like to get training for it. Im just looking to have fun (nothing serious) but want to be as well prepped for it as i can. If anyone could shed some light about where some matches are being held and if any of those locations provide newb training for those ready to start competing, i would be very appreciative.
I don't know if it will be of any help but i have Rauges basic handgun course under my belt (though i took it when i was 14, 7 years ago). I am comfortable with my M&P 9 and looking to take that next step. Oh and I'm located in the San Gabriel Valley with my main range being Angeles and my secondary being Prado.

Thanks!
One of our members Nathan Rollins holds a good beginner clinic at ISI in Piru, Ca. You can find out more about his clinics or reserve a spot in his thread here. My wife attended one of his clinics in November and she'd never put on a holster or stepped out from behind a stationary shooting bench before, and she learned a lot and had a great time. Jeff Bova who teaches the beginner class is a great instructor, who adds a little bit of comedy to keep things real.

Last edited by RoundEye; 12-04-2013 at 6:55 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
One of our members Nathan Rollins holds a good beginner clinic at ISI in Piru, Ca.

I have heard fantastic things about ISI. I want to get up there soon as well.

I think I'm right that we are the same distance from you as Prado, a little less than half hour.

We hold Handgun Challenge and Zombie Shoot competitions at the Evans Range in Anaheim. Next Handgun Challenge is Thursday, next Zombie one is Friday the 13th. The Handgun challenge runs every two weeks, the Zombie every couple of months.

If you want an introduction to competition, these are great. As shooting for competition, they are also a lot of fun and safety is key - we have multiple NRA certified RSO's on hand.

Moving, barricades, reloading and so on. The last Zombie one we went lights out with glow in the dark targets. I have been doing the Zombie ones, that's been shooting from ready or loading from the table. I will have to check, but I think the handgun challenge has holster work.

All the details are on the events tab on the left of the website: FASTOC.com