Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 8:11 PM

Default Interested in your thoughts

I would like to get some feedback from all of you so please give me some constructive criticism.

I have been in the financial industry for over 9 years. I have been investing since 1998 personally and within the past 3-4 years I have broken away from my team of financial advisors to build my own book. So far I have done well in building this book with people I honestly get along with and have common interests with. Those interests have been in anything and everything but I have never thought to look through one of my biggest passions and that is guns and the 2nd amendment. I feel that the men and women here in Calguns may be a good start to find out how and what I might try to do in order to meet with like minded individuals that would be even interested in hearing about the services I have to offer. I do work for one of the biggest wealth management institutions, we are the last of our kind. Now I can sell myself and my firm but thats not what I am looking to do here. What I am looking for is some help from you to see:
1. if you think its a good idea? Do you think the average person with guns would be interested in an advisor and would they even have the kind of money to manage?
2. How I might go about this? Should I go to gun shows and hand out cards randomly? Or should I go to the local gun shops to start there?
Lastly, 3. How would you take it if a financial advisor who shared your interest and passion came up to you? What would be most important to you?

Remember I am looking for real advice here so please give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2013, 7:41 AM

Help from anyone would be most appreciated.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstorm View Post
1. if you think its a good idea? Do you think the average person with guns would be interested in an advisor and would they even have the kind of money to manage?
2. How I might go about this? Should I go to gun shows and hand out cards randomly? Or should I go to the local gun shops to start there?
3. How would you take it if a financial advisor who shared your interest and passion came up to you? What would be most important to you?
1. Good idea? If the market supports it, then sure! Average person? Keep in mind, the users of CGN are not an average gun owners. They are younger and from what I've noticed have less disposable income. Granted there are many CGN users which would be good candidates but not the average Joe. Guns in general are a very blue collar sport.

2. I think a great way to network with gun owners who have disposable income are at 2A fund raisers like the ones the Friends of the NRA put on each year. I have met lots of wealthy, super friendly, awesome people at those events that want to do whatever they can to support the 2A. You can pay to advertise in the program brochures also.

Gun shows are a tough nut. Most people attend to score a deal. If you are just looking to get your name out, great but I doubt the return on your investment would be there....

3. I personally love the 2A and try to support 2A friendly people whenever possible but most gun owners in SoCal are "in the closet" and do not broadcast their activism for fear of discrimination.

There might be a niche for a pro-2A investment firm but marketing wise, it might be better to associate yourself with people / events / activities that are more right wing oriented while remaining somewhat silent as an entity on the "pro 2A" stance.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 11-27-2013, 1:06 PM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
How I might go about this? Should I go to gun shows and hand out cards randomly? Or should I go to the local gun shops to start there?!
Just get out and meet people. Make friends, gain people's trust and confidence. My business as a lawyer lives and dies entirely by word of mouth. My philosophy is that I'm not going to get any business just sitting at home. It's not that I socialize purely for financial benefit, far from it actually, but it makes it easy to justify to my wife that I'm golfing every weekend if I pick up a client from my foursome once in a while. Same thing goes for guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
Keep in mind, the users of CGN are not an average gun owners. They are younger and from what I've noticed have less disposable income. Granted there are many CGN users which would be good candidates but not the average Joe. Guns in general are a very blue collar sport.
I always figured that you have to have some money to enjoy guns as a passion. After all, it's addicting and most people I know can't stop once they buy their first gun. That takes $$. I have actually met several lawyers, engineers, and accountants at Calguns events.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 11-27-2013, 1:45 PM

Thank you both for for the advice.

lgm118icbm: I completely agree with you about the people in OC and how they are afraid to come out and let it be known they are gun owners. But if I do meet with them at some gun related event it would be a great ice breaker. Now my office is in Fashion Island and I am not so sure all of my clients around there would be happy to know my thoughts on the 2nd amendment but if I even found one or two that would be great.

BumBum: I could not agree with you more when you talk about the money it take to continue on the addiction to guns. I wish I could say that I have limited myself to one or even 2 guns per year but even that would be low. And I know I am not alone. Now sure people might not be thinking about retirement so much but I am sure the gun store owners may be. I am not against any account. I am too young to turn anything down. As a side note, what kind of law do you practice? And is your practice in OC?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:38 AM

From what I've seen in different discussions on this forum there are lots of service providers, professionals, business owners, etc. I had a chance to get a professional advice on several occasions from other CGN members. OP touched an interesting question of promoting and creating friendly environment for 2A and guns friendly businesses. There is a list of sponsors and advertisement of firearms vendors and dealers on calguns. Will it makes sense to provided a similar path to advertise for 2A/guns friendly businesses on Calguns? It can be charged some reasonable fee to support Calguns website activities. It can be a directory organized by type of service for example. Screening by the moderator of the website is typically required for such publications in order to avoid misuse of the website or making false statements. NRA is involved in such business activity from what I see. However NRA seems to work more on the national level not always on the level of local businesses. Our CPA business is on several local tech forums. I cannot say for other service providers but I will be happy to advertise our business on Calguns. In addition it can make networking by business interests more effective. Does it look as something worth discussing?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by APV; 11-28-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Quote:
As a side note, what kind of law do you practice? And is your practice in OC?
I am in a two-attorney practice in Irvine. We have a general civil practice which mostly includes business (planning and litigation), employment, family law, estate planning, and personal injury.

http://www.kerstenlaw.net/

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM

APV: That would be a great idea. I know that I would pay to be part of something like that. Any ideas on the first steps to take? Lets talk more about this as I think it would be great to support the local 2A small and local businesses.
Old 11-28-2013, 1:20 PM

Quote:
APV: That would be a great idea. I know that I would pay to be part of something like that. Any ideas on the first steps to take? Lets talk more about this as I think it would be great to support the local 2A small and local businesses.
One of us can wright a proposal that we can review and discuss. Based on the look of BumBum's website there is at least one pair of eyes with legal background. I would suggest to wait a bit to let other members to express their opinions since today is Thanksgiving with all holiday arrangements.
Old 11-28-2013, 1:37 PM

I personally would be interested though I don't have the net worth to meet the criteria for most top tier portfolio managers. That being said, if some random person that shared my interests just came up to me with a business card, I would probably throw it away. If after conversing for some time, it came up that you were a financial advisor/investment manager/etc and I felt that you were genuine and not just trying to sell your services, I would be more inclined to become interested in hiring your services. Word of mouth is key (but you know this). Get a few Pro-2A clients and build on word of mouth from there. Slow, steady growth of 2A clientele will bring you to your goal over time. Just my $.02
Old 11-28-2013, 8:55 PM

Slow and stead is right! But the good news is that I am not in need of anything at the moment. My desire to work with like minded people is where the thought came from. I guess I have found that I like having more in common with my clients and when I happen to have a strong passion shared it feels like a much better relationship. And its the relationship that I am looking for. I can find plenty of clients by doing what I have been doing. But I want to really like the people I am working with. As an advisor I am dealing with your money and your future so when I help you attain such a huge goal like retirement or helping put your kids through school it feels good for me. I guess it is greed but I want to feel that pride helping people that I care for too.

MEDIC!: Just so you know it doesn't take much today to work with an advisor. Personally it has all to do with cost to benefit. If the cost I am charging my clients is not worth the benefit I am bringing them than obviously they will not stay.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Bump

Quote:
Slow and stead is right! But the good news is that I am not in need of anything at the moment. My desire to work with like minded people is where the thought came from. I guess I have found that I like having more in common with my clients and when I happen to have a strong passion shared it feels like a much better relationship. And its the relationship that I am looking for. I can find plenty of clients by doing what I have been doing. But I want to really like the people I am working with. As an advisor I am dealing with your money and your future so when I help you attain such a huge goal like retirement or helping put your kids through school it feels good for me. I guess it is greed but I want to feel that pride helping people that I care for too.

MEDIC!: Just so you know it doesn't take much today to work with an advisor. Personally it has all to do with cost to benefit. If the cost I am charging my clients is not worth the benefit I am bringing them than obviously they will not stay.