Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-12-2013, 7:01 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Mesa Tactical AR-15 stocks?

So I jailed a Remington 700 and Mossberg 500 today and I need to decide which to accessorize first. I'm thinking I'll start with the Mossberg 500 since I'm more likely to be in a home defense situation than hunt anytime soon...

My dad had a Mossberg 500 Persuader (maybe Cruiser) so I already know that a pistol grip without a stock is not for me and not really practical if you want to hit what you are aiming at (IMHO). Checking out the Mesa Tactical options and they look pretty sweet...

So now the question becomes is it worth it to spend more than I did on the shotgun for the hydraulic recoil version or just get the standard version? Reason I ask is that most adjustable AR-15 stocks don't have much of (if any) recoil padding (what's the point?).

So long story short does anyone have any experience with the Mesa Tactical Mossberg 500/Remington 870 stocks and can provide input? Is the hydraulic version worth it?

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“The man in black fled into the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 11-12-2013, 7:29 PM

I shot a Mossberg 590 with the Mesa hydraulic stock. It is remarkable. Retail price for the stock is $325. I've seen a price down to $275, I have not bought one yet for my 870 because I recently picked up a Mossberg 930 SPX and I haven't found one in stock! The Mesa hydraulic stock made my Knoxx recoil reducing stock feel like a brick.

The 590 belongs to spartan DSK, check with him.

I am one, we are many fewer
One nation under God
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!

When you're not sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlMMtVX8pg

Last edited by donnrcp; 11-12-2013 at 7:33 PM.. Reason: add.
Old 11-12-2013, 7:35 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnrcp View Post
I shot a Mossberg 590 with the Mesa hydraulic stock. It is remarkable. Retail price for the stock is $325. I've seen a price down to $275, I have not bought one yet for my 870 because I recently picked up a Mossberg 930 SPX and I haven't found one in stock! The Mesa hydraulic stock made my Knoxx recoil reducing stock feel like a brick.
Thanks for the input

I'm seeing the Mesa Tactical hydraulic stock @ $319.99 on Brownells right now.

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 11-12-2013, 9:30 PM

I have shot my friend's 870 with the Mesa Tactical LEO telescoping hydraulic reocoil stock -- with 3" 00 buckshots.

The setup he had was without a recoil pad (like the pic below), and all I wore was a T-shirt; yet I could shot a box (25 shells) of 3" 00 without much pain. That says a lot.

Honestly, if it were my own shotgun, I would still add a recoil pad to the stock (in addition to the Mesa hydraulic recoil stock assembly) to ease the 'punchy' recoil feel into more 'pushy' recoil feel (especially if to shoot 3" 00 like I did.)

Would I recommend it despite the price? Absolutely.... and it makes a cool sound whenever the hydraulic recoil assembly works during each shot.

(I 'think' the hydraulic recoil stock assembly can be sold separately, hence if price is a concern one can buy the Mesa telescoping stock first, and add the reocil assembly later. Call Mesa customer service to confirm, they are very nice.)

Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Talking

Not to be a buzzkill, but an AR style stock really kills the utility of the Mossberg's safety placement.

I might suggest getting a Hogue youth stock instead. It's $56 and gives a nice tactical 12" length of pull.

I have an AR style setup on my FN TPS with the Enidine Shot Shock (which is what the hydralic thingy from Mesa is) and if someone said, here, take $263.99 and replace it with a Hogue stock, I'd take them up on it in a heartbeat.

If you're worried about recoil, watch this video:

I paid him $400 to teach me that. Now look, I've saved you $663.99 already.
Old 11-13-2013, 7:51 AM

Add the snap on Limbsaver M4 pad to the Mesa LEO with Enidine buffer and you have the most effective recoil reducing system in exsistance, other then letting someone else shoot the dang thing for you.

Also, the best part of that set up on a fighting shootgun is not the recoil reduction. It is the fact that when used properly the stock can all but eliminate muzzel fip and you can remain on target or get back on target faster then with anyother stock. That is why it should be on a fighting shotgun.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 11-13-2013, 9:47 AM

The problem i have with my defense SG set up like (hawk 982, ghost ring sights, standard stock) that is whenever i shoot looking down the sights, my right hand always hits my face. Makes me want to get a Mesa Urbino M16/A2 style PG.

I'll try that method next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Not to be a buzzkill, but an AR style stock really kills the utility of the Mossberg's safety placement.

I might suggest getting a Hogue youth stock instead. It's $56 and gives a nice tactical 12" length of pull.

I have an AR style setup on my FN TPS with the Enidine Shot Shock (which is what the hydralic thingy from Mesa is) and if someone said, here, take $263.99 and replace it with a Hogue stock, I'd take them up on it in a heartbeat.

If you're worried about recoil, watch this video:

I paid him $400 to teach me that. Now look, I've saved you $663.99 already.

WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

What you're experiencing is a training issue, or lack thereof. Take this class with Scott Reitz.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/shotgun_b.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy310 View Post
The problem i have with my defense SG set up like (hawk 982, ghost ring sights, standard stock) that is whenever i shoot looking down the sights, my right hand always hits my face. Makes me want to get a Mesa Urbino M16/A2 style PG.

I'll try that method next time
Old 11-13-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
What you're experiencing is a training issue, or lack thereof. Take this class with Scott Reitz.

http://www.internationaltactical.com/shotgun_b.html
Im thinking my problem is with the length of pull. I had a remington 870 with 20" barrel and bead sight and would never have any problems. Thats why i am considering getting the mesa urbino pg stock.

WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721
Old 11-13-2013, 6:23 PM
CGSSA Leader

Thanks for all the replies so far. I went ahead and ordered hydraulic version of the Mesa Tactical LEO stock. Not too concerned about the safety placement. Was more interested in having a pistol grip with a stock that has an adjustable LOP. Was mainly curious to know if the Enidine buffer was worth the extra money and from the posts and my research it seems like it is.

Old 11-14-2013, 2:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i've got the Mesa LEO with enidine buffer mounted on my 870P and it's worth it to me. i did not want to pay the standard price of admission, and luckily found one at a greatly reduced price here on the Marketplace that a fellow Calgunner had taken to the range one time. it's a high quality stock.

there is a standard M4 type pad available and as Aippi mentioned, the Limbsaver.
Old 11-14-2013, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
I went ahead and ordered hydraulic version of the Mesa Tactical LEO stock.
assuming that -- like me -- you're OK with the safety placement, you've done a wise thing.
"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 11-14-2013, 8:19 AM

I've been using a Mossberg 500 with the Mesa recoil stock for 10+ years and it is very effective. You do have to get the giant Cavalry safety (Midway, Brownells) to reach from the pistol grip. That's me shooting it in a 3 gun match at Pala in my avatar.
Old 11-14-2013, 8:52 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaLarry View Post
I've been using a Mossberg 500 with the Mesa recoil stock for 10+ years and it is very effective. You do have to get the giant Cavalry safety (Midway, Brownells) to reach from the pistol grip. That's me shooting it in a 3 gun match at Pala in my avatar.
Thanks for the tip I was already planning to replace the plastic safety with a metal one so this looks like the route to go. Curious why the Calvary site says the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.cavalrymanufacturing.com/SST-590-S.html
Installing the SST-590 Safety requires complete disassembly of the gun to install the new safety. While this may be easy for many people who have experience and the correct tools, we have to officially advise that this is a gunsmith/armorer installed item. Improper installation can result in a non-functioning or unsafe firearm.
As everything I've seen suggests that as long as the action is back you can simply unscrew the old safety and slap on the new one...

Old 11-14-2013, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

I'd suggest also looking at the Vang Comp safety. He knows a few things about shotguns.

Old 11-14-2013, 9:12 AM

With my Hawk 982 (870 clone), I skipped the $150 enidine buffer, but run the Mesa Tactical AR Stock adapter. With a Limbsaver AR stock pad, I can shoot buckshot and wax slugs all day. Felt recoil is on par with my O/U shooting trap loads.
Old 11-14-2013, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Default Mesa Tactical AR-15 stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ghtw1ng View Post
With my Hawk 982 (870 clone), I skipped the $150 enidine buffer, but run the Mesa Tactical AR Stock adapter. With a Limbsaver AR stock pad, I can shoot buckshot and wax slugs all day. Felt recoil is on par with my O/U shooting trap loads.
if you add the shock-absorbing buffer, most of that recoil disappears as well.
"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 PM

My Mossberg was bought from Mr Vang with his barrel and whistles (no bells!) unfortunately the Vang safety is too small! The Cavalry is huge and can be reached with fingers wrapped around the pistol grip.
It's been a long time but I do remember you have to remove the bolt, etc. to get at the safety from inside.
Below is taking out a clay launched from a pepper popper, all while standing on a swaying bridge ala Top Shot:

Come out and SHOOT with us!
http://www.lineadefuego.info/matches

Last edited by ParaLarry; 11-14-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 6:01 AM
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaLarry View Post
My Mossberg was bought from Mr Vang with his barrel and whistles (no bells!) unfortunately the Vang safety is too small! The Cavalry is huge and can be reached with fingers wrapped around the pistol grip.
They designed it for use with their own telescoping stock adapter. Cavalry Arms was one of about three or four companies that came out with telescoping stock adapters at about the same time, as an answer to the FN TPS.