Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default Information/experiences at Apple Valley Gun Club

Good evening! Someone mentioned this gun club in a recent thread and I was hoping to hear from members of friend's of members there. WEGC is full, expensive & I'm getting conflicting reports whether my little Mazda sedan can even access it. A.V. gun club is further away, about 50 minutes, but it's 30-40 minutes closer than Barstow BLM, low membership price and it has pretty good distances for me to learn to shoot my mauser well.

How do you like shooting there? Friendly members? I don't mind helping out clean the place up, help at matches(There's a bit of conflict as I usually work weekends, though), etc. I'm trying to see if it would be worth gaining membership over perhaps just going to Raahagues more for private range-like benefits.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 10-13-2013, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

No members on here?
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 10-15-2013, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

AV is a long ways. I have not been there before.

I used to shoot at Raahauges all the time, but now I am a WEGC full member, so I have everything I could want at West End.

I think someone mentioned a partial membership at west end. I shot on the partial member range a month or so ago. It was fun and the people seemed good. I had avoided it because I don't like public firing lines.

Have you been to West End, or AV for that matter?

Assuming you are a good guy and follow the range rules, you are welcome to shoot in the private area of WEGC with me. There is no charge for members and their guests. You can also do the competitions at WEGC without being a member-yes they are open to the public.

2nd Sat is action pistol
3rd Sat is LESA (listed as shotgun and pistol with optional rifle-basically 3 gun)
4th Sat is 3gun

Action pistol is too busy for my likes, but I try to do LESA and 3gun. I will be there this Saturday for LESA. I also sometimes go out during the week to plink or test loads and run my chronograph. I was out there last Thursday afternoon. It was pretty quiet out there. It felt like BLM land, but safer and much closer.
Old 10-15-2013, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen some low Honda cars out there. The bad part is Lytle Creek, and it isn't too bad right now. That is the beginning of the road in. The rest is graded dirt road with some small drainage channels. If you go slow, you should do fine. If it rains, then it might be another story.

West End is much better for rifle shooting than what Raahauges was, last time I was there. I shoot a Winchester 54 bolt action with peep hole sights, from 1926, an M1 carbine, and a 30-30 winchester lever action, and then I have my AR 15 3 gun rifle with a red dot and my Mini 14 target with a scope. You can easily make up a steel target to hand on the T posts that sit on the rifle range. There are posts at 100,160,and roughly 200 yards. I just slip my target over the horizontal bar and go at it. Sometimes there is steel already up. The private bays are mostly short with the long ones at 50 and maybe 70 yards. They are still fun for the old rifles. 200 yard rifle pad is a shared area, but they have a nice canopy, concrete floor, and good benches to shoot from.
Old 10-16-2013, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input! I know about WEGC's limited membership but I generally shoot weekdays only. I rarely have weekends so I never pursued that route. Your comment about the range feeling like BLM but closer & safer is why I'm looking at Apple Valley and possibly WEGC in the future. A.V. is still a good 30-40 minutes than my spot in Barstow.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Still looking for experiences from members
R.I.P. Thomas C.