Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-04-2013, 3:31 PM

Default Interested in ARNG

Forgive me if this has been asked millions of times before, I did a little searching.

Little background on myself. Looked into joining the military at 23 after college graduation. Took the ASVAB and got to MEPS where I was not qualified due to medical conditions when I was under 10, that I probably didn't need to discuss, which didn't affect me in any way afterwards.

Fast forward 4 years later to today. I have a great job in the legal field with a BA in economics but still have the itch to serve. I'm looking into joining, haven't spoke to a recruiter FTF yet. I'm wondering if there are any NG units within the San Diego region, north county mostly, that anyone can speak about. I'm not anywhere close to being above joining as an E1 but I'm wondering if there's any chance I can become an officer in the NG?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 10-04-2013, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Reserve and NG is best for prior service folks, in my opinion. If you're new, go Active - it's the only way you will get the "full experience." With a degree you have more options including coming in at a higher rank or as an OCS candidate. There are also several different areas where having a legal degree can be useful, not just being a JAG Off-icer. I'm partial to the Army, but you may have more options in the Navy or Marines if you're dead set on being in SD.

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 10-04-2013, 7:43 PM

If you have a college degree you can come into the Guard as an E-4. Contrary to what many people say, I fully support going directly into the guard without prior service. IMHO, it is the best (although admittedly sometimes also worst) of both worlds. Granted, I've spent the vast majority of my time in the Guard on one type of orders or another, I absolutely do not regret it.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"