Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-30-2013, 6:32 AM

Default Anybody in 19th SFG

Im curious to know if anyone is in this group or knows of anybody in.
Taurus M85 Stainless .38 Special
Ruger New Vaquero Birdhead Stainless .45 ACP
Mosin Nagant M44
Mosin Nagant 91/30 Laminated Stock
Old 09-30-2013, 1:04 PM

My full time boss is a current member and two of my M-Day officers and one of our first sergeants are former members.

They exist in relative abundance in CalGuard.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"

Last edited by SGT Loco; 09-30-2013 at 1:09 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 5:14 AM

Ok nice, so you must work in Los Alamitos? Trying out for the group has been one of my goals, now that I am out and back home in California. My current priority is to finish my Bachelors, however I am not sure as to what would be the best route to take for 19th SFG.
I was planning on earning a commission to become a officer, but thats at least another 2 years before I can even try out for the group, since I would need to achieve at least 1rst Lt. promoteable.
Would you say its more of an exotic group now with all the military cutbacks? On top of that, I know California State budget isnt so great so I assume they are trying to avoid more members anyways
Mosin Nagant M44
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM

I actually don't work in Los Alamitos- 19th group guys come from all over the state. I don't think anyone chooses not to be in Special Forces because it would be too far to drive to drill.

I can't speak for their recruiting right now. As a whole the Army is downsizing, but there is always going to be a demand for SF. It's not like they're changing selection standards because of the budget- passing selection and passing the Q course are still going to be your biggest obstacles for getting in. I would worry about that before I worry about their budget woes.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 10-01-2013, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxB33 View Post
I was planning on earning a commission to become a officer, but thats at least another 2 years before I can even try out for the group, since I would need to achieve at least 1rst Lt. promoteable.
When I joined the Guard and was offered a commission. It was in Logistics. All the cool assignments were taken. Good luck with selection, stay strong
Old 10-01-2013, 8:40 PM

You have a long road ahead of you. It took me a year and a half to get a buddy in. And that's with me making calls and asking for favors. You had better be in the peak physical condition and mentally as strong. Languages are a plus and instructor level CQC will also make you marketable. You had also better have impeccable reviews in your current/past MOS. And that's just a start.

Good luck. But between what Loco and I said, you should be good to go. You're not going to be able to get your officer track while in SF. You'll be lucky if you get any sleep and chow. I have a masters degree but I'm still senior enlisted. You see what I mean?

The truly motivated will always make it. But if you "think" you want SF, you won't make it. It has to be consuming you. It has to be the only thing you care about. Your mother, father, brother, girlfriend, mistress...whatever. EVERYTHING. Nothing can be more important. You have to train, eat, and sleep SF. The cold, wet, discomfort, and constant rattling of your psyche can't bother you one bit. Expect to be hurt at least once a week.

Another route you can go is to go Airborne Ranger and then try out for SF. If you perform in Ranger School, they'll seek you out. Trust me. That's the route I took. It can be done. It takes time. Your age is gonna be your limiting factor. Just start early. You can do it.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Unless you're already a longtabber, you're better off going active if you want to be on an ODA and have a proper SF experience.

There used to be two Reserve (11th & 12th) and two NG Groups (19th & 20th) until post-Cold War downsizing and a realignment of combat arms units from Reserve to NG led to the deactivation of 11th & 12th Group. In all four cases though they have been there essentially to backfill the active duty Groups, though that role may have shifted a bit since 9/11.

My main problem with these units is that unless you're prior service SF, you're going to have a tough time ever getting 100% up to speed, even though you'll get far more UTAs than the average non-active unit. And while you may feel like a badass around other Reserve and NG units, you're going to be treated like a red headed stepchild whenever you integrate with the active Group you're aligned with. It's akin to being in a long distance relationship, where even though you may have been together for a few years, it doesn't compare to the time you were with someone you could see every day if you wanted. A couple years in an active SF battalion is worth 10 years in 19th, in my opinion.

That said, if going active isn't an option for you, then 19th is doable, but understand that to get the most out of it you'll need a lot of flexibility in your civilian life. If you can't break away on short notice for schools or exercises, let alone good jump opportunities, then you'll be kind of doing the minimum which can be extremely frustrating in that environment. And if you're serious about becoming an officer, then I suggest you just forget it and look elsewhere as the potential slots for you shrink to near zero.

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…

Last edited by brando; 10-02-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2013, 1:21 AM

I worked with 19th group on a couple of occasions, most of the guys were prior active duty who for whatever reason did not continue to be active yet still wanted to remain in group. My recommendation is like all the others go active go to selection and take it from there. Like 18D said Rangers is always an other option.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 10-03-2013, 6:49 PM

Thought I'd ask a question while this topic is relatively fresh.

When Is the next SFRE?
Old 10-03-2013, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

those guys are down the street from my shop and my Reserve unit. hardly see them though.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-04-2013, 5:27 AM

Thank You, its great to know we have SF just here in Calguns. I know I have wanted to pursue SF since I was a kid, and now that I have been out for almost two years, the thought of it is burning. I cant even sleep and I find myself doing ridiculous PT for no reason. I know the right thing to do is finish my education, but I absolutely hear you on your advice for leadership roles. I am also thinking I can just go back in enlisted with a college degree.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this post, I honestly didnt think I would find anyone who could relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
You have a long road ahead of you. It took me a year and a half to get a buddy in. And that's with me making calls and asking for favors. You had better be in the peak physical condition and mentally as strong. Languages are a plus and instructor level CQC will also make you marketable. You had also better have impeccable reviews in your current/past MOS. And that's just a start.

Good luck. But between what Loco and I said, you should be good to go. You're not going to be able to get your officer track while in SF. You'll be lucky if you get any sleep and chow. I have a masters degree but I'm still senior enlisted. You see what I mean?

The truly motivated will always make it. But if you "think" you want SF, you won't make it. It has to be consuming you. It has to be the only thing you care about. Your mother, father, brother, girlfriend, mistress...whatever. EVERYTHING. Nothing can be more important. You have to train, eat, and sleep SF. The cold, wet, discomfort, and constant rattling of your psyche can't bother you one bit. Expect to be hurt at least once a week.

Another route you can go is to go Airborne Ranger and then try out for SF. If you perform in Ranger School, they'll seek you out. Trust me. That's the route I took. It can be done. It takes time. Your age is gonna be your limiting factor. Just start early. You can do it.
Mosin Nagant M44