Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 7:24 AM

Default Vacaville Gun Store - pro gun control?

I wanted to bring to your attention and get your ideas concerning an issue that came up yesterday when my 24 year old son went to pick up his new hunting rifle that he purchased from "Guns, Fishing and Other Stuff" in Vacaville, CA. My son is a returning veteran and a life long California resident. He was honorably discharged this year and is currently living in my home. He passed the back ground check and waiting period required by law to purchase a firearm, and as the law dictates, he showed his current "valid" id but to his shock, Guns, Fishing and Other Stuff would not give him his rifle. They decided that California gun control laws aren't stringent enough already. They decided to add more gun control to make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own fire arms. They decided to make their customers show "more" documentation, they want two documents proving your residency and they have a specific list of what they will accept. My son does not have any of these documents. He currently lives at home and he has been in the Navy for the past 5 years. I questioned one of their managers about this yesterday, "Charlie", I said "why are you guys imposing stricter gun control than the State of California?" "Why are you requiring these extra documents for the purchase of a hunting rifle?". His reply to me was that this has always been their stores policy because in the past they have been fined because their employees sold firearms without the customer having a valid id". So I said to him, "instead of disciplining your employees who make mistakes, your going to punish all of your customers instead?". His only reply to that was "it's our policy".

I am no longer doing business with "Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff". I threw away my shirt advertising their store that I used to wear frequently, and I am urging my friends and family to no longer do business with them. I don't know what else to do except to try to get the word out.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about a "rifle" purchase, not a hand gun.

I'm very offended by this stores "policy".
Old 09-12-2013, 9:59 AM

I quite shopping there a long time ago. Couldn't stand their attitudes. Like they were doing me a favor by being there.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

That's suck, what extra document they are asking?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

**** THIS PLACE... I refuse to show ID and have it logged to buy reloading components and other stuff...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM

WHAT!!! GFAOS is full of it and a terrible place to buy a gun????

If only there was some California gun community website where you could have found this out in advance...

In other breaking news, water is wet.

But, welcome to Calguns!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM

This really sucks... Hopefully this helps your son get his rifle. you can make him a rental agreement as if he were renting his room from you as his place of residence, even for a dollar a month with both your signatures on it... I think you can get them like at a local staples or office depot...

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg33 View Post
That's suck, what extra document they are asking?
the same that they would ask for if it were a hand gun he was buying. a current utility bill with his name, a rental lease, a property deed, or military orders showing he is a permanent resident. I told him to take his DD-214 (discharge papers) but apparently that is unacceptable. The point is though, California has no repuirement for proof of residency for rifles, only hand guns, but this company company wants this for both. They acknowledged that they are aware of the law but they just choose to make it a little bit harder.

Last edited by Wilkie94585; 09-12-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Douch outfit. Don"t bother. To many customer service fails in the past. -g

Last edited by G-Man WC; 09-14-2013 at 9:55 AM..
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D.A View Post
This really sucks... Hopefully this helps your son get his rifle. you can make him a rental agreement as if he were renting his room from you as his place of residence, even for a dollar a month with both your signatures on it... I think you can get them like at a local staples or office depot...

Yes, but why should I have too? I probably will anyway, I would prefer that my son does not get the gun now, unfortuneatly, he would not get a full refund.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie94585 View Post
Yes, but why should I have too? I probably will anyway, I would prefer that my son does not get the gun now, unfortuneatly, he would not get a full refund.

I completely agree with you 100%
I'd also go for the refund but if he's gonna lose money on it and can already pick it up and NOT wait another 10 glorious days then it's just a quick fix and I just suggested it cause i'm not sure if he has another source of 2nd proof

Old 09-16-2013, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

People still shop there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsfishing View Post
However, to make sure we are not in error, we have forwarded this post with your information & firearm information to DOJ, and am awaiting their response. Once I get their written response, I will gladly post it here as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 8:52 PM

i remember this store. they reported a "suspicious" AK pistol to DoJ
Old 09-16-2013, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon6551 View Post
People still shop there?
BAHAHAHAH.. NO kidding. To bad the OP did not frequent this site prior to his sons dealings with GFAOS. There are plenty of bad reviews on here regarding this store. I am truly surprised this joke of a gun store is still in business as they are worse on gunlaws than Yee, Steinberg and Feinstein. Maybe they are using there profits to secretely help fund their campaigns lol.. I had a horrible dealing with this store as well a few years back, my review is on yelp warning others. Hope he gets his gun, they probably will try and hold it over the 30 days to get more money out of him.

Now lets wait to here the owner of GFAOS as he should be chiming in on here any second defending his store like always..

Tell your son to go to Center Mass next time. I have used them quite a few times when down in the Fairfield / Vacaville area and I have always had a great experience.. The funny thing is GFAOS staff were the ones whom referred me to Center Mass as they were to lazy to do a PPT themselves.
5.1.11 "Tonight we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush 43rd President (2001-2009)

Last edited by Hispanic_Hercules; 09-16-2013 at 9:03 PM..
Old 09-16-2013, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

I keep saying it, that shop is TERRIBLE.

Center Mass is much better.
Old 09-16-2013, 9:49 PM

I will NEVER do business again at GFAOS years ago when Browning just release the X-Bolt I wanted a new rifle me and a buddy was down at the gun range when finish I went up stair to inquire about the rifle to be exact it was a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Steal 7mm Rem Mag dont remember the guys name but he said "we have that rifle on the way should be here any time now if you put a deposit down it's your's"...so I decided to pay in full cash that same day he took all my info and said I'll call you ASAP when the rifle arrived weeks gone by have't received any calls few months go's by still no call so I called few a month later just to get an ETA guy over the phone said we one in stock on display would you like for me to hold it for you?...I said I paid for that rifle months ago you guys did't call me WTF he replied come down and proof to us you paid for the rifle so I did that same day here's where it get even worth after all this BS the day I went to pick up my rifle they said I needed to pay off the rifle before they can give it to me my reciept said paid in full still they refuse to give me the rifle and said the time when you purchase the rifle we did't have the bar code to scan the price...WTF is going on here so I told them I'll see you guys in court and started to walk out a manager come running after me and gave me my rifle and said he'll wave off the remaiming balance which was just over $100...

Beware People!

Last edited by shermansaelio; 09-16-2013 at 9:55 PM..
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Maybe a rental lease or 3 months bank statement under his name will do.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 PM

I was in there the other day to get cleaning supplies, had a M1a for $3,000. Hard not to laugh when I saw that price.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM

Similar recent thread about this place.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=815545

I no longer give them my business. Pretty much everyone I know here in Vacaville doesn't either.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM

This is just one more reason they don't get my money...and all my friends and I call it guns,fishing and attitude......

Sorry your son is getting screwed over by these guys....as a fellow service member it sucks he's getting treated like that I hope you can find a suitable solution.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermansaelio View Post
I will NEVER do business again at GFAOS years ago when Browning just release the X-Bolt I wanted a new rifle me and a buddy was down at the gun range when finish I went up stair to inquire about the rifle to be exact it was a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Steal 7mm Rem Mag dont remember the guys name but he said "we have that rifle on the way should be here any time now if you put a deposit down it's your's"...so I decided to pay in full cash that same day he took all my info and said I'll call you ASAP when the rifle arrived weeks gone by have't received any calls few months go's by still no call so I called few a month later just to get an ETA guy over the phone said we one in stock on display would you like for me to hold it for you?...I said I paid for that rifle months ago you guys did't call me WTF he replied come down and proof to us you paid for the rifle so I did that same day here's where it get even worth after all this BS the day I went to pick up my rifle they said I needed to pay off the rifle before they can give it to me my reciept said paid in full still they refuse to give me the rifle and said the time when you purchase the rifle we did't have the bar code to scan the price...WTF is going on here so I told them I'll see you guys in court and started to walk out a manager come running after me and gave me my rifle and said he'll wave off the remaiming balance which was just over $100...

Beware People!
I'm sorry you got conned but the lack of punctuation gave me a headache....

on another note I just remembered I had very good dealings with Center Mass in Vacaville, Also I recently purchased a handgun online and used Fairfield Pawn as my FFL. Good DROS/transfer fee and easy and friendly service. Just something to keep in mind for the future.
Old 09-17-2013, 1:04 AM

GFOS!!!! LOL

Too many wannabe lawyers in that place. Slower than DMV to process anything...
Old 09-17-2013, 6:51 AM

The day after I posted this GFOS caved to the pressure and gave my son his rifle. They acted like they were doing him a huge service. Had I known about this forum before and about all the negative feedback on GFOS, I never would have taken him there to buy his rifle! What a piece of work they are! I wonder if any if their employees are members of this forum?
Old 09-17-2013, 7:06 AM

You should have told them nevermind and moved on.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishfarmer View Post
I'm sorry you got conned but the lack of punctuation gave me a headache....

on another note I just remembered I had very good dealings with Center Mass in Vacaville, Also I recently purchased a handgun online and used Fairfield Pawn as my FFL. Good DROS/transfer fee and easy and friendly service. Just something to keep in mind for the future.
+1 for Fairfield pawn. Good price, no bs.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:39 AM

I would file a complaint with the city that issued the business license. If there is not a posted policy I believe the city will keep your complaint on file to be reviewed at the next renewal of their city license.

Thanks your Son for his service.
Old 09-17-2013, 7:49 AM

I would call DOJ and ask why these people won't release your sons rifle. That should get them to stop this BS.
Old 09-17-2013, 8:04 AM

Welcome to the club.. I myself have had far too many bad experiences their.. I was forced to shop their a few weeks ago as my in-laws thought a gift card would be a good present. I cringed at the the of having to shop there. When I walked in the guy at the front counter asked if I was looking for anything in particular (the most customer service I've ever gotten there). I told him I was looking to pick up a knife. He pointed to the knife counter. 45 minutes went past, during which time 5 employees walked past me and I was able to stop 2 and asked to see a knife, both told me the would go get someone. The first employee ! same back and asked if I needed any help, which I told him "it would have been nice to have help the first time I asked for it, and normally I would speak to your manager, but I know customer service isn't a priority in the store." I bought the knife and left without saying another word.

Go ahead, let me have it... Cool story bro...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The day after I posted this GFOS caved to the pressure and gave my son his rifle. They acted like they were doing him a huge service. Had I known about this forum before and about all the negative feedback on GFOS, I never would have taken him there to buy his rifle! What a piece of work they are! I wonder if any if their employees are members of this forum?
Glad to hear your son was able to leave with his property.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
I would call DOJ and ask why these people won't release your sons rifle. That should get them to stop this BS.
Does that actually work?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM

The owners are pussies.
Old 09-17-2013, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Really glad your son got his rifle. Thank him for his service for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Not Cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

I bought a rifle off of them right after they opened, they seemed fine then. However, the last few times I have gone in it was like I was a criminal on the loose in their eyes. Its too bad they suck, since they tended to have a decent inventory
Old 09-25-2013, 1:12 PM

I feel the same way, I've purchased two rifles, a shotgun and a 9mm from them in the past. I've always had my registration in the glove box so when they asked for it I never gave it a 2nd thought. It wasn't until my son baught his and he didn't have this 2nd proof of residency document that I realized, "hey, that's not right!" I won't shop there now at all out of pure principal. And your right, frequently I've been confronted by employees with attitudes, they should be grateful for their customers, not expect their customers to be grateful to them.
Old 09-25-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliedad View Post
Really glad your son got his rifle. Thank him for his service for me.
Thank you! I will.
Old 09-25-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
It isn't illegal for them to add more requirements, it is their business and they can operate it how they please, it IS BS though. It is only illegal if they don't do the minimum required by law. So calling the DOJ probably wouldn't do any good. I think reporting on forums like this, the NRA, and other firearms advocates are the way to go. I posted on their facebook page too which seems to have caught their attention.
Old 09-25-2013, 1:40 PM

Well it just keeps getting better. My son baught a scope with his rifle and GFOS "bore sighted" it for us before he picked it up. Sunday we went to the range to sight it in to get ready for "D" zone this coming weekend. We went through several boxes of ammo and just couldn't get it close. He would get 3 shot groupings, not good groupings, and they were always several inches from where he was aiming, and everytime we'd make an adjustment the next round of shots would be somewhere else, we were hitting all over the target but not close to the bullseye. I got to looking the rifle over and found that the screws for the scope mounts were not tightened down and the scope was bouncing all over the place!! WTF? I wonder if they were getting me back for the negative feedback I was giving them or if they are just that incompetent? Either way, they already lost my business and this is just another nail in their coffin.
Old 09-25-2013, 3:33 PM

thats a bunch of bs. i purchased a 15-22 from triple a sporting goods & only needed a valid drivers license after dros for pick up. + no handling fee like gfos. but glad he got his rifle!
Old 09-26-2013, 9:34 AM

Driver's license and a Fishing License or Hunting License should do it. The law discusses "two government issued forms of ID showing current address". Hunting and fishing licenses are easy to get. Or you can use an online form to create a Renter's Agreement that looks official, with you renting him his room at your address.

Their behavior sounds pretty arbitrary to me.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 10-01-2013, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptusa View Post
WHAT!!! GFAOS is full of it and a terrible place to buy a gun????
If only there was some California gun community website where you could have found this out in advance...
In other breaking news, water is wet.
But, welcome to Calguns!
OP just joined CGN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
i remember this store. they reported a "suspicious" AK pistol to DoJ
Hence my Sig line!

Quote:
Glad it worked out. Shame they had to treat you like that. I know you have to have 2 forms, but asking for 3 is crazy talk.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 10-05-2013, 5:02 PM

Curious, this thread only mentions that his ID was "valid", but not mention if the address on the ID is the same as he wrote on the 4473 as his current residence address. If it is different, under federal law, he must present a "government issued document" that contains his current residence address. This is a DIFFERENT requirement than the state requirement for handguns. Many sales people are confused by this. I watched a Bass Pro sales guy spout FUD to a customer saying that his current car registration was not enough. In fact, the car registration, if current, will fill the state and fed requirements.

Depending on the address on the license, GFOS could have been correct or mistaken....

400 Moffett Blvd., Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043

www.eddysguns.com

Tue-Fri 12-7, Sat 11-5