Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 09-11-2013, 5:46 PM

Default .22lr pistol conversions

Any opinions on the advantage arms glock conversion? Whats a good price on them lately? Are they worth it in $ saved on ammo?

Are there any pistol conversions for S&W MP pistols?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a factory 22 conversion kit for the HK P2000 and a real good 22 kit for the Browning Hi Power. Just my 02 cents...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrai2020 View Post
Any opinions on the advantage arms glock conversion? Whats a good price on them lately? Are they worth it in $ saved on ammo?

Are there any pistol conversions for S&W MP pistols?
The Advantage Arms is the most popular most reliable conversion for Glocks. It has very similar sight picture to stock Glock sights but it is an adjustable rear sight which is a big plus. It takes standard Glock sights as well, so you could add the same night sites or whatever as your regular slide. My gun is my night time go-to gun (upstairs go-to gun anyway) so it is great to practice with the Streamlight in place using .22. This is a perfect training tool for learning trigger control IMHO, because you are unlikely to shoot 500-1000 rounds of larger caliber in a session. You shoot that much often and you can't help but get real good with that Glock trigger.

It makes for a super light gun, so the weight is not the same, but to me that's a good thing - it makes it super handy and fun to shoot, and shoot fast. Whatever mods you do to your frame stay with you for .22 practice.

I think they go for $300-$350 right now if they are in stock at an LGS.

For me it fills a role that my Walther P22, and MarkII cannot. I got mine as a trainer, but after shooting it it is my favorite 22 pistol (17-22 kit).

You do the math on the savings for what you paid for your ammo. I shoot mini-mags (.08 per round) and Golden Bullets (.055 per round) out of mine instead of shooting regular practice ammo like .40 S&W 165 gr WWB or 180 gr WWB (.40 per round). Last time I went out I shot $40 worth of .40 for 100 rounds and 400 rounds of .22 for about $20.

Did it SAVE me money? I would not have shot 500 rounds of .40 through the Glock. I still would have shot 100 and shot 400 rounds of .22 in another gun. I also would not have benefited from looking down the sights and pulling that Glock trigger 500 times.

Last edited by crufflers; 09-12-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 09-15-2013, 8:27 PM

I bought a glock one. Waste of money. Way too picky in ammo. You can alter it to make it eat more types of ammo but it voids the warranty. Just get a cheap dedicated pistol
Old 09-15-2013, 8:31 PM

Mine works great on at Glock 19.
Old 10-29-2013, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Pistol 22 conversion units can be quite picky about the ammo they run with. Many, many moons ago, I bought an extremely expensive factory SIG 22 conversion kit for my SIG P210-2 9mm---the mags were expensive too---the conversion unit only functions with three types of ammo---22 Rem Golden Bullets, CCI Mini Mags and the cheaper CCI Blazers. The good news is it works damn near perfect with these three ammos...
Old 11-03-2013, 8:40 AM

I had kits for a 1911, glock, and a few other pistols, I ended up selling them all. They seem to be very picky with ammo, usually cycles mini mags wells but all the bulk packs are hit and miss.

Ended up getting a smith and Wesson 22a dedicated 22lr pistol and couldn't be happier. Eats anything I feed it, also have a colt m4 uramex and eats every ammo I feed it as well.

my 2 cents, it's best to just get a dedicated 22lr pistol or rifle

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Old 11-03-2013, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

I have 22 conversion kits for all my pistols and love them all. The CZ Kadet is most reliable, actually it's perfect, but all have been good. I use the Kimber kit the most because I like the weight.

I'd rather have a conversion kit for the guns I use than a 22 pistol that doesn't feel like the guns I use.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My AA conversion for glock 17 is nice to let me draw from same holster as 9mm setup, and AA mags are cheap - about $14 each. Downsides are it's not nearly as accurate as my .22LR pistols, and conversions can be finicky with any custom light triggers. I like them both for different reasons.