Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-08-2013, 8:58 AM

Default FiOS problem with wifi booster

So my girlfriend has fios in her house and she cannot get wifi in here room. I then bought a mobile wifi booster by netgear and plugged it in. I tried several distances to see if that was the reason but it still wasn't working. I pushed the WPS button on the router and then pressed it on the booster with no luck. I'm stuck as of now and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Can you add an additional router to the LAN port of the Fios router in the WAN/Internet port of the new router and see if she can connect to that? I would try a new router, as the Fios router that I had for 3 years was not letting some devices connect most of the time, and my lady's phone would work fine, then just not connect almost randomly. I took apart my buddy's old one he gave me (1st gen) and the caps were all leaking or bulging probably due to the Cap-Plague. Sometimes you can call VZ and tell them what is going on, and state how many devices you have on it (tell them like "15"), and they MIGHT send you an upgraded, or replacement one out, gratis.

I know some kids disassociate people from routers for fun, and some wireless arrays can be set to do this automatically, (Xirus arrays can disassociate "Rouge APs" [anything that isn't Xirus, unless added to a kosher list, or something], I was told).
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM

just pressing the button probably wont work, you'll need to login to the webconsole and configure it. those boosters go wifi to wifi, and more expensive models will receive or transmit on 5ghz instead of 2.4
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM

I had to put mine more line of sight to the router and modem in the other room. Once I got it to connect and stay connect it works great. The first one I had would drop after about an hour so I shipped it back.
The default settings didn't work for me either.
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WN1000RP.aspx
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...18JUNE2012.pdf
Old 12-06-2013, 9:29 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

You really need to change the channel and also scan for other signals. Doesn't make sense what you are seeing.