Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-29-2013, 4:17 PM

Default Air Force CCT

I'm looking for some insight into Combat Control, specifically first hand accounts. I'm currently waiting for a contract and CCT is one of my top choices, along with Air Traffic Control.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2013, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorky View Post
I'm looking for some insight into Combat Control, specifically first hand accounts. I'm currently waiting for a contract and CCT is one of my top choices, along with Air Traffic Control.

Thanks in advance.
I never served in CCT, but I did share a class with an NCO who did. He was in my class because he was cross-training into my career field after 10 years in special ops. I learned a lot from the guy , me being an FNG tech school Airman curious about The Ways of The 'Force.

Its long hours, hard work-and more vitally, once youre in youre not getting out. Ever. The US Government spends a lot of money training Special Operations personnel, and because selection is tough the career field is always "critically manned". Meaning you will NOT be permitted to transition jobs like most members typically can do. The NCO i'm referring to had to wait until his second enlistment was up , Palace Chase to the National Guard, and THEN he could cross-train into my comparatively-sedate AFSC.

The man had a family , and he reasonably wanted to work a military job which allowed him to see his kids sometime before they graduated college. The Staff Sergeant had more rows of medals on his blues then a General Officer, so he was definitely in the BTDT category.

Air Traffic Control is a demanding job, especially in the USAF. The training process isn't a joke-when I was in ATC training was run out of Keesler AFB, which is where my tech school coincidentally was located. Their tech school training is VERY intense academically, and takes 18 months to finish . Believe me when I say you'll be sick of AETC restrictions real fast-I almost went nuts myself with all the rules and such, and I was there for about 6 months. Bottom line, you'd better be motivated like nobody's business to succeed in EITHER career category. I don't wish to come off like a douchebag, but you need a real gut-check before signing on the line for either job position. Both careers will put your mind and body to the highest test imaginable.

Hope this helps you out.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

Last edited by SilverTauron; 08-29-2013 at 8:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2013, 7:52 AM

I was in the CCT back in 1966-1968, so I'm sure that a lot has changed over the years. Back then, the USAF would send you through all of the schools and training after "boot camp", but now they have certain prerequisites, such as prior service in Army Rangers/Special Forces, Navy SEAL's or Marine Force Recon. They don't want "wet-behind-the-ears" applicants, mainly because all of the "pre-training" involved costs a LOT of money and takes a long time.

Also, from what I understand, CCT members are also trained and qualified as bona fide air traffic controllers. When I went through the training, the ATC aspect was minimal, and as I recall, only consisted of a few classes.
Old 09-15-2013, 3:33 PM

Go for it. You will have fun.
Old 09-15-2013, 6:55 PM

Im not sure if you know that CCT's and air traffic controllers are nothing alike. One career field you get to ride ATV's out the back of C-130 combat talons and cut people's faces off. The other , you give aircrews directions where to fly their jets and hear them whine for a short cuts. Before you sign your contract, make sure you have a back up job picked out or you will find yourself in supply handing out gas masks. Also Look into TACP if your interested in causing havoc. Go to romad.com
Old 09-18-2013, 8:00 AM

my understanding from recent reading is the CCT has become more of a ATC, whereas the TACP calls in for the gun runs more often.

seem correct?
Old 09-18-2013, 9:50 AM

Thanks for all the input! I'm still not sure what I want to do.

As for the difference between TACP and CCT, CCT are certified air traffic controllers that go in by themselves to set up airstrips and direct forward air traffic, whereas TACP are NOT certified air traffic controllers and are attached to Army units and mostly call in airstrikes