Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 07-15-2013, 6:24 PM

Default How often does this safe go on sale?

I think this safe from Costco fits my needs perfectly. Does anyone have this model?

I know Costco often has sales on safes and am wondering how often this model goes on sale. Is it worth waiting for a sale?
Old 07-17-2013, 2:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That's already $100 less than anyone else has that safe and around $400 less than any other comparable model. The 19ECB is the model that goes on sale all the time.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-17-2013, 4:11 AM

I have been safe shopping for quite some time. Too long in fact. 999 is an excellent price for a safe of that caliber. Think about the fire rating that that safe has. Also, considering that 999 includes the shipping, it's an incredible bargain. I would buy it in a moment but it's too big for my house.
Old 07-17-2013, 6:28 AM

It may look like a safe but its just a locking cabinet. Safes have thicker steel and concrete in the walls not drywall. It may suit your needs though.
Old 07-17-2013, 6:54 AM

Right. This safe uses 12 gauge steel and not something more sturdy like 10 or 8.
In my research I've concluded that the majority of safe shoppers are looking for something in the $750-$1500 range. (And I'll continue to use "safe" for ease of use but I do understand the point.). For these shoppers, they are looking for reasonable security - something that will keep your average criminal away from your guns when he's spending 5-10 mins rampaging through your house. Even less if your alarm is blaring. Other shoppers in this range are looking to keep their own family members out of their guns. For these shoppers, a safe like this is a very good buy.

Now, if you need to step up to the next level (or can to) and want a true safe that is extremely difficult to get into even for experienced criminals with time on their hands, you will need to move up into the $2500-$5000 range. A safe like that is out of the ballpark for the avg joe, although I would highly suggest making the investment if you have the means.
Old 07-17-2013, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

I don't get it.

So many people preach about getting a well-made safe but yet recommends the Bighorn "Costco" safe and to wait until it goes on sale. In the end, most everyone will have their valuables protected by a cheap Made in China safe that Costco sells at a "discount" just about every quarter. This doesn't bode well.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:15 AM

Honestly, I don't fully get it either. My hunch is that there are safe snobs out there who have dropped 3K and up and feel that their safe is so superior to the 800-1K costco safes. Technically, they are absolutely correct. But I think some practicality needs to come into play.

What is the probability that your home is going to get broken into?

What is the probability that a thief breaking in will spend longer than 5-10 minutes in your home?

What is the probability that a thief spending longer than 5-10 min in your home will have the necessary tools he needs to defeat a safe?

What is the probability that a thief spending longer than 10 min in your home and who has the right tools can break into the safe w/o going unnoticed by neighbors (ie making a lot of noise)?

I hope you can see where I'm going. If you think that all of the above questions are probable then you should probably invest in a high quality safe in the 2K-5K range. But if you think that most of the above questions are not probable then a safe in the 500-1000 range is more than enough.

In the end, how much protection do you need and how much do you want to spend for that protection?

Sorry for the long-winded thought but I just wanted to explain the thinking that I have been using lately. I have been shopping for a safe and have been spending a lot of time (obviously) thinking about this stuff.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

buy a sturdy gun safe. you will not regret it.
Old 07-17-2013, 9:18 AM

I bought the 19ECB about 10 months ago and I like it. It is made in China, but it does use thicker wall steel than some of the other bargain brands. It isn't quite 10 ga, but it's thicker than 12 ga. It uses 3mm steel plate, IIRC.

The safe is basically a compromise between security and cost. Many of use would like to dump $2000+ on a full blown safe, but don't have the money for that. Instead we still need to secure our firearms, keep curious kids from playing with them, and have some peace of mind, so we have to find something that will accomplish those things and not put a big hole in the pocketbook. For me, the 19ECB met those criteria. Bighorn also has a warranty on the safe and will replace it if it ever gets broken into. I have insurance on the items I store inside, so if someone does every decide to break into my safe, I can replace the items and the safe.

The B6030EL is basically a beefed up 19ECB. It's heavier, uses thicker steel walls, a nicer e-lock and costs about $400 more. I think either safe is a good option for someone willing to accept what they are getting. They are better than the stack-on, first alert steel cabinets but they certainly aren't as good as true safes. (I think these are classified as Residential Security Containers or RSC's)
Old 07-17-2013, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

They seem to come around every 4-5 months, if memory serves, and very much worth the money, and don't depreciate.

I bought one at the sale price 2 yrs ago and recently sold it here for $25 less than I paid (excluding tax)

When they came on sale again last week I bought another and had it shipped to my new place in TN (I didn't want the extra weight (435#) as I'm moving myself with a 4-horse trailer.

It is, in my opinion, a hell of a lot of safe for the money...
Old 07-17-2013, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g19jk View Post
I think this safe from Costco fits my needs perfectly. Does anyone have this model?

I know Costco often has sales on safes and am wondering how often this model goes on sale. Is it worth waiting for a sale?
smaller one on sale now
bought one on last sale a few months back

$599 free ship
don't remember seeing bigger ones on sale

http://www.costco.com/.product.11625...ViewPurchaseCP
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
Now, if you need to step up to the next level (or can to) and want a true safe that is extremely difficult to get into even for experienced criminals with time on their hands, you will need to move up into the $2500-$5000 range. A safe like that is out of the ballpark for the avg joe, although I would highly suggest making the investment if you have the means.
TL rated safe's start closer to $5000 and can easily go above $10,000. RSC rated gun safe's (the vast majority) are only guaranteed to survive a 5 minute attack. And that's if it's bolted down.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 07-17-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-18-2013, 7:15 AM

Call Rhino Safes directly. They make the bighorn, but they also have a US made line. I think the body is 11ga and the door is 1/4 plate. The small size runs about $1200
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-guy View Post
Call Rhino Safes directly. They make the bighorn, but they also have a US made line. I think the body is 11ga and the door is 1/4 plate. The small size runs about $1200
I have the $1200 one, Rhino 56. It's 10 gauge and 1/4" door. There's also some reinforcement in the door and body. It's 560lbs empty but some resellers mistakenly have it listed as 430lbs which I believe is about what it weighs without the door. I have no complaints about the quality. Compared it to my buddies 19ECB and you can tell the difference in quality.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-23-2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
They seem to come around every 4-5 months
Are you sure you're talking about the B6030EL model? The smaller one, the 19ECB, is currently on sale.