Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-15-2013, 7:46 AM

Default Great new book about being prepared

Just read a great book titled "Gunfighting in Teams". It was written by a retired law enforcement officer who has done a lot of training on shooting tactics and being prepared for whatever might come our way.

I think it is a good read and I learned some stuff that I had not thought of. Well worth the small price. It is on Amazon.

Stay safe out there,
Allen
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the tip re: Gunfighting in Teams.

On the one hand, I hear lots of lone-wolf preppers that misguidedly base their carbine selection on military practice. Shooting as a soldier on the battlefield, a trained member of a team that trains together and supplied by a military-grade logistics chain (and often supported by air and artillery) is quite different from defending one's home single-handedly from looters in a typical SHTF scenario. I appreciate that this book is aware of that difference.

I think it is useful because my perspective is that "lone wolves" are going to be at a disadvantage to small gangs or teams.
Old 07-15-2013, 1:32 PM

Default Alone or with a group?

I agree completely.

As a Viet Nam vet with some considerable experience it is almost always best to work as a small cohesive unit than on your own. The possible exception is the sniper but even they work in teams of two.

The book does not advocate a large force but a small one of 5 or so members that actually can train together. A squad of people that know what they are doing and know their roles in the group is so superior to almost any number of rag-tag assaulters without training.

He makes another point that I firmly believe. When considering speed he states that slow is accurate, accurate is fast. I am paraphrasing here but I have seen it happen a lot of times. The person that snaps a gun into a insecure firing position and then shoots as fast as possible seldom hits the intended target.

Someone that takes that split second before the first shot to control the weapon and sight picture before sending the first shot downrange often does not need the second shot.
Old 07-15-2013, 1:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, It better be good!
I just bought a copy...
Old 07-15-2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenS View Post
The person that snaps a gun into a insecure firing position and then shoots as fast as possible seldom hits the intended target.

Someone that takes that split second before the first shot to control the weapon and sight picture before sending the first shot downrange often does not need the second shot.
"Aim small, miss small"
Old 07-16-2013, 6:29 AM

Another very good saying. I am always amazed to see police shootout videos where the bad guy is exchanging shots with one or more officers. Guns blazing on both sides and often nobody gets hit.

Military special tactics units (Seals, Rangers etc) and SWAT members must look on in total amazement.
Old 07-16-2013, 4:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenS View Post
Another very good saying. I am always amazed to see police shootout videos where the bad guy is exchanging shots with one or more officers. Guns blazing on both sides and often nobody gets hit.

Military special tactics units (Seals, Rangers etc) and SWAT members must look on in total amazement.
Looks like a good book. Wonder if it comes on kindle?

Many of those cops are EX-military. They are skilled at killing peoples dogs standing at their feet wagging their tales. Most cops I have met are arrogant SOB's with a huge chip on their shoulder. Wouldn't last 5 seconds with a skilled shooter shooting back.

Rules to live by...........

http://www.thegunzone.com/gunfighting.html

Rules of Gunfighting

You may someday need to apply one or more of these

The absolute First Rule of a Gunfight, in Mark Moritz' brilliantly enunciated aphorism, is "Have a gun!" The rest will supplement that first rule….
  1. Have a gun.
    1. Preferably, have at least two guns.
    2. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
  2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
    1. "Why did you shoot only once? There's no additional paperwork for shooting someone twice!" -- Firearms Instructor P.O.J.D., MOS debriefing after a shooting.
    2. Bring ammo.
      1. The right ammo.
      2. Lots of it.
  3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
  4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.
  5. Proximity negates skill. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
  6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun… and a friend with a long gun.
  7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
  8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running.
  9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works every time. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
  11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
    1. "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly."
This is the law:
  • The purpose of fighting is to win.
  • There is no possible victory in defense.
  • The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
  • The final weapon is the brain.
  • All else is supplemental.
- John Steinbeck (courtesy of Ken Campbell)
  1. Have a plan.
    1. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
  2. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
    (Consequences of not enough of the above.)
  3. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect your own flank.
  4. Don't drop your guard.
  5. Always perform a tactical reload and then threat scan 360 degrees.
  6. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)
  7. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
  8. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
  9. Be polite. Be professional. But… have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  10. Be courteous to everyone. Friendly to no one.
  11. Your number one option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
  12. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
    1. Nothing handheld is a reliable stopper.
  13. Carry the same gun in the same place all the time.

Last edited by problemchild; 07-16-2013 at 4:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 9:37 PM

I hope you guys are all my friends with guns. I'll be your friend.
Old 07-18-2013, 6:40 AM

Relative to the posts above, I like the references that ProblemChild added but I could have done without his personal assault on first responders. I respect his right to voice an opinion and served our country voluntarily in combat to secure his right to say what he wants, but his view is counter to my 66 years of experience.

My brother was a cop. He was not an arrogant SOB with a chip on his shoulder. He was a good guy with a wife and 2 kids. He worked every day sometimes putting his life on the line to help keep his community safer from scumbags, drug dealers, drug users, robbers, rapists, and yes murderers.

He lived a good life, but passed a few years back. Most cops I have met have a bit of an edge. They need to when faced with what they have to deal with every day. They need to be assertive and in command when confronting the public as every situation can be a deadly one. You just don't know who will be the next person to pull a handgun as you walk up to their car on a traffic stop.

I am biased, but I don't like it when people label all cops as somehow the evil in the area. Many of them will not win a contest for being the most congenial person on the block, but when the SHTF most people call 911. The cops seem to be appreciated when the public needs them.

Just my 2-cents.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I am biased, but I don't like it when people label all cops as somehow the evil in the area. Many of them will not win a contest for being the most congenial person on the block, but when the SHTF most people call 911. The cops seem to be appreciated when the public needs them.
If all cops followed the same law they use against us, you wouldn't have this problem.

The hypocrites are running the asylum and the few honest cops will not meet their promotional criteria.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".