Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-14-2013, 8:56 PM

Default Just bought a .17 Win Super mag.

Just paid for a new Savage Bmag in .17 win super mag. Shoots 3000 fps, more velocity at 200 yards than a 22mag has at 50
Old 07-14-2013, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

How is ammo availability and cost?
Old 07-14-2013, 9:57 PM

That barrel ought to burn out nice and fast. Better hope replacements are available, and reasonably priced.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats! The 17 WSM looks like a promising round, it'll be interesting to see what the ammo availability is like.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
That barrel ought to burn out nice and fast. Better hope replacements are available, and reasonably priced.
Fortunately the Savage B mag is only $300, so if you wear it out you can just buy another one.

Time will tell how long the barrels will last.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:44 PM

Where did you get it
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Banned

I don't much care for a lot of the newer calibers but this looks promising,
the terminal effects of this cartridge are stupendous,
lets hope the availability and cost is reasonable
Please continue to share your information on this very exciting round

Z
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Keep us posted. I know a few CGers that are looking to buy one.
Old 07-15-2013, 4:12 AM

Please tell me it is awesome and it will catch on quickly...

...because I want to see this rimfire case in .22 caliber.

oh yes - and pix
Old 07-15-2013, 7:34 AM

Been thinking about buying a Savage 17hmr but holding off a while to see how people like's there Bmags.
Old 07-16-2013, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Kind of a shame it is being released during an ammo crisis. I really hope it survives through the rimfire drought and thrives after it is over. I want to try one out pretty bad!
Old 07-16-2013, 9:07 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Kind of a shame it is being released during an ammo crisis. I really hope it survives through the rimfire drought and thrives after it is over. I want to try one out pretty bad!
Shouldn't be much impact from the current crisis as its a new caliber with few owners. Time will tell if the Bmag will survive. Hope it doesn't go the same route as the Remington 5mm Magnum. That is a great round but has just barely survived as Remington was the only manufacturer to produce that rifle and doesn't any longer. Hopefully the Bmag will get more shooters on its bandwagon and it will be successful.

Hopefully Marlin and maybe CZ will produce a rifle as well. Survival will most likely be based on ammo production. If Hornady, Federal and CCI produce ammo for it I think it will be a success. Ammo is the key.
Old 07-16-2013, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm waiting for something nicer than the Savage. I like Savage in general, but this one just doesn't do it for me. Too much plastic & castings. Regarding "barrel burnout" - although 3000 fps is pretty good for a rimfire I doubt it's an issue, otherwise we'd have piles of AR barrels tossed aside each year.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Regarding "barrel burnout" - although 3000 fps is pretty good for a rimfire I doubt it's an issue, otherwise we'd have piles of AR barrels tossed aside each year.
I suspect you are right. .17HMR has been around for years now and its muzzle velocity is around 400FPS less than the Bmag and I've never heard or read of someone shooting out their barrel.
Old 07-16-2013, 3:55 PM

Hard to beat this rifle for the price. I'm waiting a little longer to pick one up just to see where the ammo is going be. It looks to be a lot of fun to shoot.
Old 07-16-2013, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Shouldn't be much impact from the current crisis as its a new caliber with few owners. Time will tell if the Bmag will survive. Hope it doesn't go the same route as the Remington 5mm Magnum. That is a great round but has just barely survived as Remington was the only manufacturer to produce that rifle and doesn't any longer. Hopefully the Bmag will get more shooters on its bandwagon and it will be successful.

Hopefully Marlin and maybe CZ will produce a rifle as well. Survival will most likely be based on ammo production. If Hornady, Federal and CCI produce ammo for it I think it will be a success. Ammo is the key.
I am guessing the new owners of the B mag will buy every bit of ammo they can as I think most guys have learned their lesson from the last panic about stocking up on ammo.

It will be a while before 17 WSM ammo is reasonably available.
Old 07-17-2013, 3:42 PM

Please keep us updated on your thoughts about this round. Very intriguing and probably a must buy in the future for me.

Like others I'm hoping it takes off and more gun makers get involved.
Old 07-20-2013, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post

True, but if ammo isnt available not many rifles will be sold. If Savage doesnt see enough sales at the release of the rifle, they may stop production.
Old 07-20-2013, 1:21 PM

Default b-mag

I bought mine last week in Montana, below MSRP @$299.00 no tax or reg. The bolt is a little stiff and with the 4x16 Vortex scope it is not a fast chamber. On another web site the editor advised that their will be two other MFG's making a rifle to fit the caliber. The first will be a VOLQUARTSEN and will be a semi-auto model and second will be a Winchester Low Wall. The round is made from an old standard Winchester commercial blank load made for the Ram Jet Nailer the case is 27 cal. necked down to the 17 Cal. As for the ammo it is very hard to find the speculators are already buying all they can and putting it on G/B or G/A at over a dollar a round and more. The case is thicker than the 17 HMR and should stand up to the pressures that will occurred. Midway shows the ammo for $14.95 to $16.95 when they have it. Bass Pro's price is $18.99 when available. I think Winchester and Savage will have to do something about the ammo prices to keep the rifle going, That's my opinion only.
Old 07-20-2013, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure I see the mass appeal of this round. Ammo costs as much as a .223 (pre-insanity) with far less range and power than the .223. Ammo for the .17 HMR is cheaper and has the same effective range.

To me it's a solution looking for a problem. If there's any demand for such a round, the niche is going to be awfully small.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-20-2013, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I'm not sure I see the mass appeal of this round. Ammo costs as much as a .223 (pre-insanity) with far less range and power than the .223. Ammo for the .17 HMR is cheaper and has the same effective range.

To me it's a solution looking for a problem. If there's any demand for such a round, the niche is going to be awfully small.
The cost of ammo is just above the 17HMR, Grafs lists it for $13.89-$15.89.
The 17HMR will not have the same effective range as this new round.

I think if it survives it will give the 17HMR a run for its money, and that is not a small market.
Old 07-20-2013, 9:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
The cost of ammo is just above the 17HMR, Grafs lists it for $13.89-$15.89.
The 17HMR will not have the same effective range as this new round.

I think if it survives it will give the 17HMR a run for its money, and that is not a small market.
I haven't bought .17 HMR in awhile since I have a bunch, but I was paying about 18 to 20 cents per round. Super Mag is going for 30 to 35 cents per round which is nearly the same as .223 (pre-insanity).

The effective range for both is around 200 yards. Wind becomes a problem after that for the Super. And good luck hitting a ground squirrel headshot at 300. Anything past 200 is better suited for .223. Wind doesn't affect .223 nearly as much as any .17.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-21-2013, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Not to rain on the parade but with the ammo crisis I see this going the way of the HM2. The HMR is well established and revived the 22 mag from death. I see some moderate success but not being relevant 5 years from now. For this I hope I eat my words and it is successful. It is a very interesting round.
Old 07-22-2013, 2:58 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

It's the cover story on the new American Rifleman I just got in today... Haven't read it yet, but if I stumble across one of these in a shop, I'll likely buy it!
Old 07-22-2013, 3:11 PM

So where do you find ammo for this rifle? I have a better chance of getting hit by lighting and then winning the lottery than finding a box of 22LR ammo.
Old 07-22-2013, 3:15 PM

I can see a box of 20 rounds going for $50.00 bucks. Ammo manufacturers are so backlogged on the standard calibers right now and they will have no plans to expand production just because their profit margins are so high. Beside, why spend millions on new facilities and equipment only to incur a loss in the future when the panic buying ends.