Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-09-2013, 3:59 PM

Default Home PV, battery bank decision..

I suspect there maybe some folks in the know here..

Most of the system is already designed, but I'm having difficulty selecting 6v or 12v cells... MPPT 60a controller will take any. Wire runs are short, $$ of running amps is not a big factor.

Floated 6v or 12v sealed prices are about the same, this is not a "grid-linked" sys, just a quality backup.

Outside install for the bank so I can go sealed or vented.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-09-2013, 4:13 PM

I use 12V myself, but would recommend the 6V battery system, will change mine out once the batteries go TU. My understanding is the 6V's are a better way to go because of the AH's available and the charging cycles are better
Old 07-09-2013, 4:54 PM

Technicals of the 6's are heavier and are not designed for cranking, but I can toss a 12v in any vehicle...

If this was a committed off grid install, I would pick 6's.

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-11-2013, 1:21 AM

6's are better for true deep cycle applications. Just about all the big boats (35 and up) use 6 volt batteries for the house bank.
Also, 12v have 6 cells and 6v have 3 cells. You only have to maintain half as many cells.
Old 07-11-2013, 6:26 AM

6 volt batteries tend to have a much thicker lead plate which makes them more durable and last longer than a similar sized 12 volt battery because they are already a deep cycle battery. They also tend to be cheaper than a 12 volt battery.

Most of your electrical needs though would be better served with a 12 volt system with concern to device charging and inverters.

Wire a pair of batteries in series for 12 volts and then wire them into a bus bar for a parallel system. This allows you to expand your system easily so you can increase your available Amp Hours, take out a pair of batteries for maintenance or repairs and gives you a simple way to connect your input charger and output devices. I would also fuse the positive and negative leads between the bus bar and each pair of batteries as a form of protection. You need to make sure all of the batteries in your system are the same size also as mismatched batteries can easily cause overloads in the battery cells which could cause an explosion.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 07-11-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
They also tend to be cheaper than a 12 volt battery.
Only by a few bucks, price a Trojan 105 and an Optima Blue top and I'll be buying "cores" - $15-25 each. System will be wired for 24v so using 6v's will double the physical bank size (four or eight 6's or two or four 12's), 6's are nearly the same size as 12's. The ability to to run the cells as one or split it out for a functioning system are paramount.

I'm going with an MPPT 60a Outback FM-60 to minimize my equalization concerns and leaning towards agm batteries for the low maint aspect. The 60 is way over kill but gives plenty of room for an off-grid setup.

It's sounding like new 6's for the long run..... Trojan agm are 15Ah smaller than Trojan floated.

Last edited by sdkevin; 07-11-2013 at 7:53 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 4:49 PM

In a SHTF situation....seems to me there would be an abundance of 12v batteries available. Maybe not suited for deep cycling but with so many around who cares.