Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Default AK help, i got money to burn!

ok, so im looking to buy an AK pattern rifle i have 3k i really only wanna spend around a grand give or take, i would really enjoy building one but ill wait til i have some more experience around this variant of rifle... ive narrowed it down to either WASR or Arsenel, ive been told to not bother with any besides arsenel but ive also heard you're just paying for the name arsenel and WASR does just as good, so, key points between the two? also, what caliber? 7.62x39 or 5.49x39? ive been told 5.49 is the better way to go, more accurate flatter trajectory, but 7.62 is fairly cheap (havent checked prices much of 5.49) and said to have better ballistics. also ive only seen arsenels in the poly tacticooool layout, and im debating between the classic black and wood or rail system with tacticool stuff, i know thats personal but do arsenels come in the wood?

thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Look at a build you can get a decent set up for $400 to $800 that wouldn't probably run you $900 to $1300..

Same the money you can and build 2... And a ton of ammo. Just cause you got it doesn't mean you have to blow it in one rifle.

I'm fairly new and have a decent grasp on AK enough to know what I want and need but not enough to really add in a list for you. Wish I could.

IMO tho I feel 47s should always be wood and 74s be black. Being every jungle rifle was an AK when I grew up and 74s were always Russians in the Cold War. So it's timely correct to me.

Anyways you'll probably get a few good guys pop in. But you have a ton of options with that budget

Also I have a WASR 10/63 in 7.62 wood and it funds like a beast. Put about 200 to 400 rounds of brass and cheap wolf stuff and no issues. Great rifle for the price

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

haha, go the Rifle Dynamics build class...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhachihachi View Post
ok, so im looking to buy an AK pattern rifle i have 3k i really only wanna spend around a grand give or take, i would really enjoy building one but ill wait til i have some more experience around this variant of rifle... ive narrowed it down to either WASR or Arsenel, ive been told to not bother with any besides arsenel but ive also heard you're just paying for the name arsenel and WASR does just as good, so, key points between the two? also, what caliber? 7.62x39 or 5.49x39? ive been told 5.49 is the better way to go, more accurate flatter trajectory, but 7.62 is fairly cheap (havent checked prices much of 5.49) and said to have better ballistics. also ive only seen arsenels in the poly tacticooool layout, and im debating between the classic black and wood or rail system with tacticool stuff, i know thats personal but do arsenels come in the wood?

thanks!
no difference between Arsenals and WASRS...what hole did u crawl out of and gimme some stuff u'd be SMOKING...
Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

thanks!
I believe this should serve your needs best, it has the polymer and the tactiCOOL furniture you desire, original CHF chrome lined barrel and you dont need to spend over $1200 for an Arsenal (converted Saiga with ****ty poly furniture). Its a WASR that Tapco threw up on
http://www.kygunco.com/mm-inc-m10-76...pe-rifle-58572
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
CGN Contributor

Buy a used one. Wider choice of styles and as long as it looks O.K. and the sights are not canted you should do fine. Spend the rest on ammo.

There is nothing on an AK that can't be easily and cheaply fixed.

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's
Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Get an Arsenal and invest a lot into magazines.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Saiga or VEPR is where it's at.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Buy a Saiga, convert it and now you have plenty of $$$ for ammo and mags. Although the Rifle Dynamics AK builders class seems like a good option too.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Definitely going to buy tons of mags and ammo... it isnt illegal to own 30 round mags, just to use them correct?

i do like that one you posted marco, price is nice too, but like i said im really torn between the classic wood furniture or tacticool, even then i would really only put a good red dot and flashlight or something, not gonna cram as much pica tinny stuff i can on there haha
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM

and i already have a 12 gauge semi auto tacticooool for HD so the flashlight would still be a maybe on the AK, im not into dressing up with full gear and running around seeing how much ammo i can dump while maximizing my cool factor
Old 07-06-2013, 2:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Perfectly legal to own and use 30rd mags.
You can't use them if you are running a maglock (bullet button) on your rifle with "evil features " but they are A OK to run on a featureless rifle. The real issue is acquisition, as there are very very few legal channels for you to obtain any 11plus round magazines now
Old 07-06-2013, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not in LA county.

I was told its not illegal to possess 30s period

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 07-06-2013, 3:06 PM

When ad's say "comes with welded muzzle nut" does that mean they just welded a nut on the end of the muzzle to make it "inoperable?"
Old 07-06-2013, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

3 k is over kill.. Arsenal is good, Siaga's that are converted are good. Yugo PAP's are good, ISD guns are good. AK's come in all sorts of other calibers, 8mm Mauser, 308, 5.56 , 5.45 , 7.62x39. WASR's are at the bottom of the barrel. They run, just the fit and finish is meh

Quote:

thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 3:15 PM

should've mentioned, i sold one of my cars for 3k so i have some play money, but 1k give or take is my budget i want to spend on one..... i dont really wanna mess around with conversions id rather just buy it how i want it and be done with it... im kinda set on 7.62 i was debating on 5.45 and 7.62 but a 1k round case for 300 bucks sounds good to me

is it uncommon for AK's to come with rails on the dust cover? or are they usually put on the top fore grip?
Old 07-06-2013, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
should've mentioned, i sold one of my cars for 3k so i have some play money, but 1k give or take is my budget i want to spend on one..... i dont really wanna mess around with conversions id rather just buy it how i want it and be done with it... im kinda set on 7.62 i was debating on 5.45 and 7.62 but a 1k round case for 300 bucks sounds good to me

is it uncommon for AK's to come with rails on the dust cover? or are they usually put on the top fore grip?
Get the 7.62 and 5.45 . You want an ak with a side mount.
Old 07-06-2013, 4:08 PM

Side mount like this then correct?
http://www.jgsales.com/cai-yugo-zast....-p-57949.html

I dont know if any of you ever use JG, but ive ordered tons of ammo from them, always got great customer service, and theyre in AZ so it doesnt take too long for it to get here in CA
Old 07-06-2013, 5:03 PM

Big difference in quality between WASR and Arsenal. I'm still hoping to find one (AArsenal) with a decent price. I should have bought em when they were about 700 bucks.

FFLs/Store I support and recommend:
Don at Straightline Tactical in Anaheim
Steve at OC Firearms in Fountain Valley.
Old 07-06-2013, 5:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You could always go the build route and and save yourself a lot of money. Buy a build kit (with barrel already populated) and attend a build party. Total build cost is in the $600-$800 range.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Definitely going to buy tons of mags and ammo... it isnt illegal to own 30 round mags, just to use them correct?

i do like that one you posted marco, price is nice too, but like i said im really torn between the classic wood furniture or tacticool, even then i would really only put a good red dot and flashlight or something, not gonna cram as much pica tinny stuff i can on there haha
Well then, you can get the M10 and replace the buttstock and the lower hand guard with red wood and keep the upper hand guard railed up (it will look like an AK-100 series)
Old 07-07-2013, 8:47 AM

If you want tacticool crap get an AR. Rails and flashlights and junk have no place on an AK.
There is no better way to "learn about the platform" than building one. I just did it and know more about the gun than just buying one. The real problem is that it is addictive and if I had $3,000 I would probably build several.
Build one and put on a siderail during the build. That way it actually looks authentic and you can put on a red dot or scope.
I already had an AR so wanted a totally different caliber and built a 7.62 and couldn't be happier.
With the rest of your money, get a Mosin, an SKS and a stainless 1911. Oh wait, that is what I would do.
And lots of ammo for everything.
Old 07-07-2013, 9:04 AM

Get an arsenal or fime and be done with it, they're great.
Old 07-07-2013, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had no experience with Ak's when I built mine. It was awesome building MY rifle. I am actually looking for another kit to build.
Than Oversexed & Underlaid...:D
Old 07-07-2013, 9:08 AM

Get an egyptian maadi and mak 90, call it a day!
Old 07-07-2013, 9:21 AM

Default Aks

I too have been looking at getting an Ak. I've been doing quite a bit of research and like the looks of the Arsenal, Saiga, and Veprs although they are expensive. I've heard the new wasr types coming out of the cugir warehouse are decent and have worked on the canting and magazine wobble that other wasr's have had. Also check out the cz-58's. Very cool gun, not an AK but very close. Hickock 45 does an awesome video on them on youtube.

As far as building one, where can one find a lower receiver? And whats the best way to begin a build?
Old 07-07-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmellberg27 View Post
It is a felony in CA to possess a magazine that holds more than 10rds. The only high cap mags that can be owned are those made before 2000.
Ill give you a thousand dollars if you can show me where this is true.If you cant, erase your post.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Ill give you a thousand dollars if you can show me where this is true.If you cant, erase your post.
I'll double this, another thousand up for grabs.
Old 07-07-2013, 3:33 PM

Default High cap mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
CAL. PEN. CODE 12020 : California Code - Section 12020

(2)Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

If you have a high cap mag in Cal. that was made after Jan 1, 2000 you have either imported it into the state (felony), or you have put together a kit (manufactured) the mag (felony). This would seem to me that possessing one is a felony under these guidelines.

However, I will retract my above statement and admit that I am not a lawyer and I realize there are already many forums discussing this very issue on cal guns. I should state that I would not advise an individual to flaunt their ownership of a high cap mag as the laws are murky.

Last edited by mwmellberg27; 07-07-2013 at 3:49 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 7:30 PM

I dont think the laws are murky at all.Its of zerioconsequence to merely posess a high capacity magazine.The potential for trouble arises when said mag is inserted into the wrong weapon or the owner of the mag incriminates himself.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:00 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

(2)Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

If you have a high cap mag in Cal. that was made after Jan 1, 2000 you have either imported it into the state (felony), or you have put together a kit (manufactured) the mag (felony). This would seem to me that possessing one is a felony under these guidelines.

However, I will retract my above statement and admit that I am not a lawyer and I realize there are already many forums discussing this very issue on cal guns. I should state that I would not advise an individual to flaunt their ownership of a high cap mag as the laws are murky.
^^Nothing in the above says you cannot posses/own or use* a greater than 10 round magazine.

While I am personally uncomfortable with and would not do it. It is not illegal to find a 30 round mag made in 2013 and use it. Laws like the one above are full of loop holes.

*It would be illegal in a rifle with a maglock but legal in a featureless rifle like a Siaga Sporter.

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's
Old 07-07-2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:
I should state that I would not advise an individual to flaunt their ownership of a high cap mag as the laws are murky.
The only thing murky is your understanding of the law. Probably shouldn't be doling out legal advice that is patently false.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:14 PM

Arsenal all the way, but I'm biased as I've had a nice Bulgarian for the past 17 years. The 5.45 is dirt cheap to shoot.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:26 PM

I havent even seen any 5.45... found tons of places with non corrosive 7.62, i shoot corrosive bulk in my mosin and its a pain cause i usually just wanna get home and take a nap and not clean guns haha
Old 07-07-2013, 8:34 PM

Once I can get my 74 built, I'll send my next paycheck to http://www.usacsales.com/545x39-ammo-can for bulletz! Still trolling for a BP.

E1,E2,E3,E4,E5,E6,E7,O1,(W1, W2),O2,O3,O4,O5 - BAM, retired.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
I'll double this, another thousand up for grabs.
Ill toss in a Scar17 and lets say about 20k dollars worth of vintage guitars
Quote:

Your 2nd paragraph is even worse than your previous post. Don't worry about your disclaimer, I assure you nobody here or elsewhere would mistake you for a JD. Please delete this posts

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Mags

Point taken and I stand corrected and apologize but why am I constantly told from all gun stores that it is illegal for me to take my M1A out shooting with a 20 round mag attached?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-nut View Post
The only thing murky is your understanding of the law. Probably shouldn't be doling out legal advice that is patently false.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Why don't you just get a Saiga and just spend time converting it , cheap and probably well under your budget!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Default More info on choosing ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4pxpz0QJc
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM

If i found an AK without the sidemount, id imagine you can easily put one on by rivets im guessing? whats the success rate of it?

Any yay or nay on Century's full USA made "sporter?"