Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Exigency

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/05/la...gate-neighbor/

What justification do the police have to seize a neighbor's residence when attempting to contain a dangerous suspect?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM

WOW! Unbelievable (or maybe not) if that article is accurate. I'm really curious how this will be defended?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/05/la...gate-neighbor/

What justification do the police have to seize a neighbor's residence when attempting to contain a dangerous suspect?
It sounded like they wanted to use the residence for surveillance. No exigent circumstance seemed to have existed. If there was they should have been at the suspects front door not their neighbors.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM

I'm curious to see "what really happened" as well. Of course as the situation as presented by the plaintiffs' attorneys the situation seems simply inexcusable. What I really want to see is WHY they wanted the house to gain a "tactical advantage." Hostage situation where they needed the height of the neighbor's houses to set up overwatch? Multi-level target house? I simply don't know and am very curious about this case as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

man now i got to rig up peppergas foggers in the house along with a front door cage that cannot be opened till the front door is closed
Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
man now i got to rig up peppergas foggers in the house along with a front door cage that cannot be opened till the front door is closed
If you have ever locked your keys in your car or accidentally set off your home alarm system and a similar mistake with those things would be hilarious!

I agree with others that there has got to be more to this than what the plaintiffs have put out.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Dupe
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=788086

I think a few members have been banned due to very flagrant rule violations related to the earlier thread....So play nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Dupe
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=788086

I think a few members have been banned due to very flagrant rule violations related to the earlier thread....So play nice...
Maybe... But it lacks the sauciness of the other thread. I think I like this one better so far (well, once we have more to talk about re: this case).
Old 07-06-2013, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

At least 5 threads on this have been deleted, because they devolve rapidly.

The entire thing is based on the "Pleading Paper" which does not have to have factual information in it, only an allegation.

The "Daily Caller" is really a blog that has the credibility of the Natiinal Enquirer.

Since LE do not qualify as "soldiers" expect a summary judgement or dismissal with prejudice on a 3rd Amendment argument.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 07-06-2013 at 9:32 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ok I'm a bit fuzzy after reading the "article" was it a DV investigation, or a barricaded suspect with hostages after a DV incident? Since the "article" seems to suggest both, depending upon who the police were dealing with. I guess they couldn't get a picture of an actual Henderson NV. patrol vehicle, I guess that just shows the credibility of the publication.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:07 AM
Calguns Addict

The reason I asked the question is because I'd like to know under what circumstances is the Police allowed to evacuate a private residence and arrest the occupants for failing to obey the evacuation order. I don't care what the allegation says or what really happened. It doesn't matter.

We have fires and earthquakes and a-holes living amongst us who do stupid things. But my house is my house, and if I wanna die in it, that's my prerogative.

I suppose it would be different if minors were involved cuz that could turn into a child endangerment issue.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Each circumstance is different, and is weighed on its own merits, so no one here can give you a definitive answer.

Old 07-07-2013, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Each circumstance is different, and is weighed on its own merits, so no one here can give you a definitive answer.
Can you give us an example, then, using that scenario:

Say my neighbor gets in a shootout with the cops and runs inside his house, refusing to come out. Can I be forced to leave my residence?
Old 07-07-2013, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The reason I asked the question is because I'd like to know under what circumstances is the Police allowed to evacuate a private residence and arrest the occupants for failing to obey the evacuation order. I don't care what the allegation says or what really happened. It doesn't matter.

We have fires and earthquakes and a-holes living amongst us who do stupid things. But my house is my house, and if I wanna die in it, that's my prerogative.

I suppose it would be different if minors were involved cuz that could turn into a child endangerment issue.
Is there really any point in discussing this if it hasn't even been proven true? There have been bannings that occurred because some members took this article to be true and got into a pissing match. Just an FYI

Why not just pose your actual question instead of linking something without credibility?

Last edited by skyscraper; 07-07-2013 at 1:11 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

And what has credibility? Name a source with credibility? Credibility is a scarce thing these days. I have a question and everyone is doing their best not to answer it.

If you don't know, just say it or don't interject.
Old 07-07-2013, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Can you give us an example, then, using that scenario:

Say my neighbor gets in a shootout with the cops and runs inside his house, refusing to come out. Can I be forced to leave my residence?
Like I said, each circumstance is different. Your added scenario is a maybe, because there are too many variables.

You can't seem to grasp tat basic concept, which is something that LEOs deal with all the time.

Each situation is different. End of story.

Old 07-07-2013, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Like I said, each circumstance is different. Your added scenario is a maybe, because there are too many variables.

You can't seem to grasp tat basic concept, which is something that LEOs deal with all the time.

Each situation is different. End of story.
I do grasp that concept.

Can I minimize the variables so that you can answer? If so, which variables would you like me to address?
Old 07-07-2013, 4:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Each and every situation has its own set of variables. For example, you may handle 10 domestic disturbance calls on a shift but each one is different and with its own variants. You cannot blanketly say how any one situation should of, or could of, been handled because of that very reason.

None of us were there, none of us have the imtimate details of what really happened at that incident and none of us here can make some ill advised comment of what shoulda/coulda/woulda have happened.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Last edited by yzernie; 07-07-2013 at 5:30 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm curious as to why it took almost two years for this to surface.......

If it had truly occurred as in the complaint, I would think that it would have been front page news the day after.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-07-2013, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I do grasp that concept.

Can I minimize the variables so that you can answer? If so, which variables would you like me to address?
Sorry, no, because now we are just playing silly "what if" games and playing with words.

Each incident will have to stand on its own merits, based on what is reasonable and prudent at the time of the incident.

Old 07-09-2013, 1:18 AM

Let's take evacuations due to fire, as an example. A number of years ago, we had a canyon fire that became very dangerous. My partner and I were sent down a narrow, winding street to evacuate or assist anyone who was trapped in a home, like an invalid/elderly. I kicked in many doors that day searching for folks who were smart enough to leave on their own. Never got a complaint or a claim against the city, which is an interesting aside. If I had kicked in your door and you refused to leave, I would have left you and told you no one was going to risk their butt to save you if you didn't come immediately. I did not have time to argue with morons as the fire approached. My time was better spent checking other houses. I viewed it as triage; why waste time on someone who didn't want my help when there were plenty of others who needed it and not enough cops to go around.