Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2013, 7:28 AM
Fjold's Avatar
Fjold Fjold is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,480
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default 700 Yard goat shots

Just found this video of a guy shooting a suppressed Remington at long range goats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3q46J8WB-s
__________________
Frank


One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 07-06-2013 at 8:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2013, 7:37 AM
BrianRodela's Avatar
BrianRodela BrianRodela is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lancaster, Ca
Posts: 597
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Impressive shot, especially when accounting for the angle and wind. Nice vid Frank.
__________________

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2013, 7:39 AM
Motor Man Motor Man is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Martinez, CA
Posts: 480
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Looks like a lot of work to make the retrieval. Looks like he'll need a pack mule. Good video.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2013, 1:45 PM
Mr.1904 Mr.1904 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 1904(SD)
Posts: 3,315
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

That second one was a hell of a shot. Great video
__________________
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2013, 1:49 PM
Cruznegao Cruznegao is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Irvine
Posts: 584
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Don't think he's thinking about retrieving those... Just shooting at moving targets
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2013, 1:52 PM
connorr931's Avatar
connorr931 connorr931 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 1,249
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

It's awesome to see the bullet ark. Like Motor said, he's going to have a fun time trying get those out of there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Ishooter's Avatar
Ishooter Ishooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 413
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Those goat hunters are hardcore. It's normal that they walk and climb mountains to hunt. It's not like hunting deer or hog. They should be able to pick up the goats.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM
SKSDan's Avatar
SKSDan SKSDan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South bay area
Posts: 261
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Made me miss my 7mm...
__________________
It is dangerous to be right on matters in which the established authorities are wrong. - Voltair
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2013, 5:53 AM
sd_shooter's Avatar
sd_shooter sd_shooter is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,762
iTrader: 72 / 100%
Default

Here's another, close to 1000 yards. The rest of the herd barely reacted:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2013, 6:53 AM
hawaii five-0 hawaii five-0 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 704
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

The neck shot on goat #2 is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2013, 8:38 AM
rm1911's Avatar
rm1911 rm1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Soviet Socialist Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 2,492
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznegao View Post
Don't think he's thinking about retrieving those... Just shooting at moving targets
I hope they plan on retrieving those animals. Goats aren't prairie dogs or gophers. Shoot them. Fine. But you have a responsibility to retrieve them. Period.

And have a reason to hunt them other than just shooting something. Sorry but these things really make us look bad unless there's a reason to hunt them. I have no objections to hunting anything but wanton killing is not hunting.
__________________
NRA Life Member since 1990

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2013, 9:18 AM
Blacktail 8541's Avatar
Blacktail 8541 Blacktail 8541 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,468
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post
I hope they plan on retrieving those animals. Goats aren't prairie dogs or gophers. Shoot them. Fine. But you have a responsibility to retrieve them. Period.

You are spot on with this statement.


And have a reason to hunt them other than just shooting something. Sorry but these things really make us look bad unless there's a reason to hunt them. I have no objections to hunting anything but wanton killing is not hunting.

This statement is supposition on your part as you have no information on what the game will be retrieved or not.
.............
__________________
BT 8541




"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM
rm1911's Avatar
rm1911 rm1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Soviet Socialist Republic of Kalifornia
Posts: 2,492
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911
I hope they plan on retrieving those animals. Goats aren't prairie dogs or gophers. Shoot them. Fine. But you have a responsibility to retrieve them. Period.

You are spot on with this statement.

And have a reason to hunt them other than just shooting something. Sorry but these things really make us look bad unless there's a reason to hunt them. I have no objections to hunting anything but wanton killing is not hunting.

This statement is supposition on your part as you have no information on what the game will be retrieved or not.
I don't understand the second part. did you mean "whether" the game will be retrieved? because that fits with the first part, that they ought to retrieve them. the second part is that of the "wanton killing". I don't think we ought to support wanton killing of animals.

I don't know if they'll retrieve them, as 700 yds is a looooooong way to go, but it did look like a dead drop on the spot so if they triangulate it right and stay on their azimuth, they should find it. but that looked like a helluva valley to traverse to get there. and then getting it out won't be a breeze.

just hope that a video like that doesn't go viral with the anti-hunters. because things like that are what gets our hunting restricted here. I saw it long time ago up in norcal when they cancelled the bear hunts.
__________________
NRA Life Member since 1990

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Fjold's Avatar
Fjold Fjold is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,480
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post
I hope they plan on retrieving those animals. Goats aren't prairie dogs or gophers. Shoot them. Fine. But you have a responsibility to retrieve them. Period.

And have a reason to hunt them other than just shooting something. Sorry but these things really make us look bad unless there's a reason to hunt them. I have no objections to hunting anything but wanton killing is not hunting.
In New Zealand where I think that this video was taken, goats are an invasive species that are shot on sight. Feral goats and pigs are a huge problem over there because destruction of the native animals and plants and the competition for food with farm animals. I've killed 30 goats there in an afternoon's shooting helping out sheep farmers.
__________________
Frank


One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
hermosabeach's Avatar
hermosabeach hermosabeach is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9,450
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Haters gonna hate

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/goats-an...farming/page-1
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-07-2013, 3:56 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1911 View Post
I don't understand the second part. did you mean "whether" the game will be retrieved? because that fits with the first part, that they ought to retrieve them. the second part is that of the "wanton killing". I don't think we ought to support wanton killing of animals.

I don't know if they'll retrieve them, as 700 yds is a looooooong way to go, but it did look like a dead drop on the spot so if they triangulate it right and stay on their azimuth, they should find it. but that looked like a helluva valley to traverse to get there. and then getting it out won't be a breeze.

just hope that a video like that doesn't go viral with the anti-hunters. because things like that are what gets our hunting restricted here. I saw it long time ago up in norcal when they cancelled the bear hunts.
Those don't look like true Mountain Goats (such as are native and often protected here in the Sierra and Rockies), those appear to be feral goats, bu the OP stated he retrieved it and ate it. I've had goat and, while it's not prime rib or filet mignon, it can be a good meal if the right cut is prepared properly. One day I'll try smoking some for 10 hours like I do pulled pork or brisket and I'll bet with would make great tacos.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-07-2013, 4:23 PM
CRTguns's Avatar
CRTguns CRTguns is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St George, UT
Posts: 2,605
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

hmm... I have to poke holes in this. I've shot a lot of bullets... and even seen them in flight... that trajectory suggests way less than a 700 yard shot. 400 maybe. Midrange was no more than 24" over line of sight.
And he cuts the camera before and after the first kill. Trying to make you think that goat was on that same hillside.
Any gun-guy capable of a 700 yd cold bore neck shot would not call his SPS an ADL.

2nd kill looked happy to receive the bullet. His tail was wagging after he got hit.

Last edited by CRTguns; 07-07-2013 at 4:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2013, 4:28 PM
Ishooter's Avatar
Ishooter Ishooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 413
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Unless the animals are to be meals or really cause problems for the habitats or humans, I don't see just killing them justifying anything. Same thing for fishing. Killing them just to test equipments or skills or for fun is a huge waste of the natural and human resources.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-07-2013, 6:39 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Unless the animals are to be meals or really cause problems for the habitats or humans, I don't see just killing them justifying anything. Same thing for fishing. Killing them just to test equipments or skills or for fun is a huge waste of the natural and human resources.
I personally feel that way—if I kill it, I eat it including fish (I do a lot of catch and release trout fishing). But YouTube is full of joy killing of coyotes, rabbits, etc. It's hard to miss—it's human nature unfortunately. Man is literally the only animal that kills just for enjoyment.

The goats were in a herd but that is a feral as well as livestock tendency_feral pigs herd lie that too. Then again they sure seem to be a large healthy crowd for a feral herd and the guy's accent wasn't New Zealand that I could tell. It could very well be a joy killing of someone's livestock—we just don't and probably cannot ever know for sure.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-07-2013, 7:10 PM
toby toby is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Soon to be in Texas.
Posts: 10,597
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
Unless the animals are to be meals or really cause problems for the habitats or humans, I don't see just killing them justifying anything. Same thing for fishing. Killing them just to test equipments or skills or for fun is a huge waste of the natural and human resources.
Sometimes thing's/animals have to be managed and this has been the way of life for ever.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-07-2013, 7:24 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Sometimes thing's/animals have to be managed and this has been the way of life for ever.
That is true too. that's why the Grizzly is extinct in California.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2013, 7:25 PM
Fjold's Avatar
Fjold Fjold is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,480
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
I personally feel that way—if I kill it, I eat it including fish (I do a lot of catch and release trout fishing). But YouTube is full of joy killing of coyotes, rabbits, etc. It's hard to miss—it's human nature unfortunately. Man is literally the only animal that kills just for enjoyment.

The goats were in a herd but that is a feral as well as livestock tendency_feral pigs herd lie that too. Then again they sure seem to be a large healthy crowd for a feral herd and the guy's accent wasn't New Zealand that I could tell. It could very well be a joy killing of someone's livestock—we just don't and probably cannot ever know for sure.
There are many documented cases of wild dogs and wolves killing whole herds of animals and not eating them.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/43055822.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/09...hington-state/

Even the weasel is known to kill whole coops of chickens for the fun of it.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/100-199/nb137.htm
__________________
Frank


One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 07-07-2013 at 7:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2013, 7:36 PM
toby toby is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Soon to be in Texas.
Posts: 10,597
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
That is true too. that's why the Grizzly is extinct in California.
Yes unfortunately that could very well be true as well as lack of food and other factors, How do you feel about the unnecessary slaughtering of Deer and Elk on Santa Rosa island as well as the same with goats and pigs on Catalina Island. For the Grizzly case in the Eastern and Northern Sierras as it turns out it was a good thing due to all of the panzy azz city people that moved to the woods that would have been eaten otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2013, 7:38 PM
Californio Californio is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 3,518
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

All the feral animals on the California Channel Islands, goats, sheep and pigs were shot in place and left to rot in the sun. I believe the horses on Santa Cruz Island and elk/deer on Santa Rosa Island met the same fate, but it was Gubmit Sanctioned and they kept it out of site of the public, they even brought in foreigners to do the deed.
__________________
"I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it." Matthew Quigley
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2013, 8:22 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
There are many documented cases of wild dogs and wolves killing whole herds of animals and not eating them.

http://www.kval.com/news/local/43055822.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/09...hington-state/

Even the weasel is known to kill whole coops of chickens for the fun of it.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/100-199/nb137.htm
Some of those killing are rivalries or territorial in nature and there are other reasons. Wolf packs fight and kill other packs and don't eat them, Bull Sea Lions will kill other males, male lions will kill the cubs of their mate with another mate, male polar bears will kill their own offspring if given the chance due to competition, baby birds shove the weak ones out of the nest, and on and on—animals have a instinctual reason other than "joy" because they are not self-aware (some apes excepted). You wrongly anthropomorphize the behavior and act because you have the biased perspective of a human and so a distorted perspective.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-07-2013, 8:33 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
How do you feel about the unnecessary slaughtering of Deer and Elk on Santa Rosa island as well as the same with goats and pigs on Catalina Island.
I don't think anything about it frankly. A cow died to make your belt and shoes. I care more that the government is trying to ban all lead ammunition based on junk science and ignoring the lead in Condors is environmental not bullet related. The Government has absolute power which corrupts absolutely and that worries me most of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
For the Grizzly case in the Eastern and Northern Sierras as it turns out it was a good thing due to all of the panzy azz city people that moved to the woods that would have been eaten otherwise.
Yep. That why a lot of them were hunted and shot while the relatively docile Back Bear survives to this day. While it's true Grizzlies probably need a bigger range, there is room in Yosemite for instance and up North. It was their bellicose nature that doomed them as California's population grew no doubt about it.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-08-2013, 3:39 PM
Fjold's Avatar
Fjold Fjold is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,480
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
Some of those killing are rivalries or territorial in nature and there are other reasons. Wolf packs fight and kill other packs and don't eat them, Bull Sea Lions will kill other males, male lions will kill the cubs of their mate with another mate, male polar bears will kill their own offspring if given the chance due to competition, baby birds shove the weak ones out of the nest, and on and on—animals have a instinctual reason other than "joy" because they are not self-aware (some apes excepted). You wrongly anthropomorphize the behavior and act because you have the biased perspective of a human and so a distorted perspective.
And you also assume that you know what animals are thinking, talk about bias.
__________________
Frank


One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-08-2013, 3:43 PM
toby toby is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Soon to be in Texas.
Posts: 10,597
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Yep another one of those guy's......
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-08-2013, 5:10 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
And you also assume that you know what animals are thinking, talk about bias.
No, you assume animals think and that's where you go wrong. I don't assume animals think at all because they don't—animal researchers have determined it and scientific research has confirmed it. Only a few animals besides humans are self-aware and can think: humans, some apes, and maybe dolphins. That's it, the rest of the complex behavior you see is complex instinct honed over a multitude of generations of evolution. it is easy to mistake complex instinctual behavior with thinking and intelligence, but it's a mistake. Look up the word anthropomorphism and maybe you'll learn something.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 07-08-2013 at 5:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-08-2013, 5:18 PM
SB1964's Avatar
SB1964 SB1964 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,063
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Droppin' some goats & walking away...perfect!
__________________
Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-08-2013, 5:29 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1964 View Post
Droppin' some goats & walking away...perfect!
Even better that he ate'em. I still think smoked pulled-goat tacos would be excellent.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-08-2013, 5:45 PM
SB1964's Avatar
SB1964 SB1964 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,063
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Goat tacos, I'd try that!
__________________
Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-08-2013, 6:18 PM
yankee-pete's Avatar
yankee-pete yankee-pete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 609
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTguns View Post
hmm... I have to poke holes in this. I've shot a lot of bullets... and even seen them in flight... that trajectory suggests way less than a 700 yard shot. 400 maybe. Midrange was no more than 24" over line of sight.
You probably know more about this than I do, but when panned out its sure looks like 700 yards. Either way, cool video.

Like the idea of pulled goat too.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-08-2013, 6:29 PM
Fjold's Avatar
Fjold Fjold is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Bakersfield
Posts: 20,480
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiaboli View Post
No, you assume animals think and that's where you go wrong. I don't assume animals think at all because they don't—animal researchers have determined it and scientific research has confirmed it. Only a few animals besides humans are self-aware and can think: humans, some apes, and maybe dolphins. That's it, the rest of the complex behavior you see is complex instinct honed over a multitude of generations of evolution. it is easy to mistake complex instinctual behavior with thinking and intelligence, but it's a mistake. Look up the word anthropomorphism and maybe you'll learn something.
Setting aside the over simplification of your argument. Look up the definition of "Think".
__________________
Frank


One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-08-2013, 6:32 PM
RugerNo1's Avatar
RugerNo1 RugerNo1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,508
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Wow, we got some real ballisticians and Animal Behaviorists in here.

I won't touch the animal behaviorism discussion, but I can say that does look like about 700 yards to me. You .308 win. shooters need to realize that a 7mm does not have the rainbow trajectory that the .308 win. does and there seems to be a slight downward angle on the shot which will help as well.
__________________
Dane

For the Learned Rifleman
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-08-2013, 6:37 PM
bodger's Avatar
bodger bodger is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,876
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

My dog thinks he's a dolphin. I'm quite certain of this.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-08-2013, 6:37 PM
advocatusdiaboli's Avatar
advocatusdiaboli advocatusdiaboli is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rural Central California
Posts: 5,092
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Setting aside the over simplification of your argument. Look up the definition of "Think".
I will when you start doing it. Still waiting.
__________________
Benefactor Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran


"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-08-2013, 9:03 PM
The Bubble The Bubble is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 314
iTrader: 5 / 86%
Default

After reading the topic and read way down to here... I reached the conclusion that this thread became... R e t a r d e d.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:48 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.