Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-05-2013, 4:40 PM

Default Hit and Run I got hit

Hi...Just a general question, I got hit on the freeway while going 65 in slow lane, other driver just ran into me. We both pulled over, the driver was very agitated and offered his bosses business card, nothing more, and tried to take off..I got him to stay long enough to get a plate number..then he took off as dialing 911...

When CHP arrived he called the "bosses" card. The owner of the car was the same as the card...the owner told the CHP that yes it was his car, but his worker claims he was in ******* out of gas on side road.

The CHP asked where and that he was going to check right now on that story, then apparently the owner said well maybe he is gone now

Anyway the CHP wrote down hit and run...

Just wondering what happens now?

Sorry long story..
Old 07-05-2013, 5:33 PM

Dupe?
Old 07-05-2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSCLOKES View Post
Dupe?
No I was looking for LEO input on what happens with hit run type accidents
Old 07-05-2013, 6:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

well he did stop and you got the plate let insurance do the work
Old 07-05-2013, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

You'll never catch me. Good luck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!
Old 07-05-2013, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
well he did stop and you got the plate let insurance do the work
That does not qualify as abiding by the requirement to exchange CDL and insurance information. The CHP and the OP's insurance company will both follow thru. The OP just needs to check with them. The CHP report is usually available within 10 days IIRC. OP, have your insurance company obtain it, otherwise you will be charged for it.

OP, also make sure that if you have more than $750 worth of damage to your vehicle or you believe he might, you are required to fill out the SR1 form available thru the DMV website. Failure to do so within 10 days can result in your CDL being suspended. You will have to obtain your insurance company's NCIC number from them to fill out the form completely. Call your agent's office and they can provide that.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2013, 2:29 AM

Basically, what he^ said. Also, make sure you take photo's of your vehicle's condition on your own in case there is a dispute with the insurance.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM

If the owner has insurance, it will just be a civil issue. The report will show it as a hit and run but the other driver was never identified. Identification by you is necessary and will involve a six-pack photo lineup where you would have to ID the driver and I doubt the Chippie is going to do any serious follow up. Non-injuury hit and runs are low priority crimes.
Old 07-12-2013, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
That does not qualify as abiding by the requirement to exchange CDL and insurance information. The CHP and the OP's insurance company will both follow thru. The OP just needs to check with them. The CHP report is usually available within 10 days IIRC. OP, have your insurance company obtain it, otherwise you will be charged for it.

OP, also make sure that if you have more than $750 worth of damage to your vehicle or you believe he might, you are required to fill out the SR1 form available thru the DMV website. Failure to do so within 10 days can result in your CDL being suspended. You will have to obtain your insurance company's NCIC number from them to fill out the form completely. Call your agent's office and they can provide that.

Good luck.
Doesn't the 555 cover that? I've always been under the impression that you only need to bother with that if there is no report written by a LEO.

- Cop