Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-04-2013, 6:33 AM
Banned

Default Honda 2K generator owners, a question on fuel consumption?

What kind of fuel usage do you get with the honda 2k gen? I have a 1k gen that gets crazy good mpg. How big of a tank does it have and how long would it last at idle, 1/4 or 1/3rd eco-throttle?

If you used it for 30 mins per day to charge batteries and maybe run a few small things how long would the tank last?

Ive stuck my 1k up for sale. Guess Im going to get a 2k. Really not crazy about the extra gas consumption or weight but want the extra power if needed for emergencies.
Old 07-04-2013, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

I've owned a Honda EU2001 for almost two years now. Purchased new.

Absolute best money I ever spent. For a small generator, there is no peer.

I get 5 hours per tank (1 gallon) with a full load. Double + that, when the eco-throttle system is engaged.

"If you used it for 30 mins per day to charge batteries and maybe run a few small things how long would the tank last?" I'd say 20 days.

I've used only Trufuel 92 octane (no ethanol, benzene) since day one. Zero problems, zero issues. Some folks complain about the price of the gas. I don't. Worth every penny. Will stay good for years. Buy at Lowes.

When I need my generator, I NEED my generator. It's starts with one pull, runs quiet and and has never failed. I run it every month and keep the tank full. Burn the Trufuel, you won't have any problems.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Mr. Beretta; 07-04-2013 at 7:49 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

as far as generators go. I have to say depends on the load you are putting on it. how much power you are using from it will dictate how long it will run.

since I work on diesel generators from time to time at work. when we load test them we test them between 75% to 90% load since they sit a lot.

if you are not using that much of a load you will "wet stack" the generator. i'm not too sure about gas but on diesel they will have a wet area around the exhaust which means you are not using enough of the generators power output.

it really depends on what you are running and how much you are drawing from it. in my experience it is always better to use the generator and use it not just let it sit. but that is my opinion.

for longer use you may be able to attach another fuel source to it and get longer run times.

i'am unsure if the OP has me on ignore and will not see what I posted for his benefit and not threadcraping.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 07-04-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used mine to power my cabin cruiser. I have an electric flush head, basically all of my lights on the boat, to maintain my 4 deep cycle batteries, and the large bug zapper in the delta. The zapper worked great killing the bugs, had a pile about 4 inches tall and about as wide in the morning. I ran it 12 hours and I still had a 1/4 tank left in the morning.

I love the generator, Honda EU series rocks. If I had the money I would buy the EU2000 companion to go with mine.
Old 07-05-2013, 7:18 AM

I don't know if this will help you, because we run ours off propane, and I think you're asking for gasoline numbers.

As another caveat, we've only done this once, just for grins, but the one time we ran a "max" test, (max output for max duration) we got about 12 hours from a standard Home Depot 20# propane tank.

On 50% load, we've never run it dry to see what we get. I've read the propane numbers scale in a nearly linear way, so I would anticipate over 24 hours. We have certainly gotten over 20, but never pushed it to the end, so I'm taking it on faith it would go the extra 4 or whatever. There was def propane left in the bottle at that time, but it was convenient to change the bottle for the next trip, so we did.

On an somewhat-related note, if it's at all do-able financially, consider keeping the 1k. For the scenario you mentioned (sipping for 30 mins per day), the 1k is in a class by itself.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
as far as generators go. I have to say depends on the load you are putting on it. how much power you are using from it will dictate how long it will run.

since I work on diesel generators from time to time at work. when we load test them we test them between 75% to 90% load since they sit a lot.

if you are not using that much of a load you will "wet stack" the generator. i'm not too sure about gas but on diesel they will have a wet area around the exhaust which means you are not using enough of the generators power output.

it really depends on what you are running and how much you are drawing from it. in my experience it is always better to use the generator and use it not just let it sit. but that is my opinion.

for longer use you may be able to attach another fuel source to it and get longer run times.

i'am unsure if the OP has me on ignore and will not see what I posted for his benefit and not threadcraping.
Wet stacking is strickly a diesel thing that develops during idle or low load conditions carboning up the exhaust stack, gas generators do not suffer from this.

The ultimate backup generators use LP gas or Propane. No problems from sour gas, no fuel contamination of lube oil, no gumming up of carbs/injection systems since the LP just evaporates off without leaving a residue, a problem with gasoline engines. For those with LP gas tanks at home, (PG&E is not everywhere), LP gas model generators work great. Most of the home sized backup generator companys offer LP gas models.
Old 07-05-2013, 5:43 PM

As said here, the Honda 2k is $$ well spent. One tank will power your site for the day. Take a tour of any RV park or race track and you will quickly learn their reputation, and that makes them a highly valued item with thieves. Just try try find a newer used one with less than 5k run hours...

Bought mine new a few years back, and I shopped... pricy at $900ish, worth every cent.

Give her a 20min run every 3 to 4 months when in storage.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".

Last edited by sdkevin; 07-05-2013 at 5:47 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 8:40 AM
Clan of the Hunt's
CGN Contributor

Additionally, you can look into installing a tri-fuel kit onto your Honda eu2000i. I purchased the kit from the following vendor. It allows me to run gasoline, propane, or natural gas to power the unit. Pretty versatile if you ask me.

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...2000i_Tri_Fuel

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2013, 8:55 AM
Clan of the Hunt's
CGN Contributor

And yes, I'm aware the link I provided shows it's not for sale in California. That is the entire generator WITH the tri-fuel kit already installed. You can purchase the tri-fuel kit on your own and install it yourself onto your Honda eu2000i just fine in California. Here is the link for just the kit --> http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...i_Tri_Fuel_Kit

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2013, 8:59 AM

Parallel it with the 30amp rig and you have redundancy out the wazoo..

"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-06-2013, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Just curious to the OP if you charge the batteries and such you need in 30 minutes wouldn't solar be a better option? For half the cost of a Honda 2000 you can have 2 full size panels to nearly 500 watts, an inverter and score 6 to 8 hrs a day of quiet charging that should do all a generator would in 30 minutes and then some?

I'm not dissing generators. I like them especially if you are in an environment with little sun (north) and wooded areas.
Old 07-06-2013, 9:16 AM

Not sure what batteries you will be charging in 30 minutes . . . deep cycles take way longer than that to take a charge. BUT its low current over time to charge them. The 2000 would not even throttle up to run the charger system.

I use my 2000 to recharge the deep cycle bank in my RV when dry camping - runs for about 3 hours a day (usually dinner time so we can run the microwave while cooking), like they have said, 5-8 hours per tank depending on load.
Old 07-06-2013, 9:38 AM

Quote:
For half the cost of a Honda 2000 you can have 2 full size panels to nearly 500 watts, an inverter and score 6 to 8 hrs a day of quiet charging that should do all a generator would in 30 minutes and then some?
Read up on solar charging, much to learn for you.

Quote:
The 2000 would not even throttle up to run the charger system.
State your source/data, thanks.

Old 07-06-2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post

State your source/data, thanks.
Personal experience. I have a bank of 3 deep cycles in my trailer. Spend 3-5 day stretches dry camping. We use our electronics (lights, TV if there is a good game to watch, furnace, fridge and water pump).

If not running the furnace in evening, batteries last the full trip. When we need to charge, plug the Honda 2000 into the system and let it do its thing. Unless we run the microwave the 2000 stays at idle.
Old 07-06-2013, 3:36 PM
Just Another Guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Parallel it with the 30amp rig and you have redundancy out the wazoo..
+1 and you can scale it back to just one unit when you don't need the extra power...

"Tyrants Fear Free Men"
Old 07-06-2013, 3:46 PM

Sorry lds, sounds like you're running a big 5th - in that case, the single 2k will have a tough run.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Yes sdkevin a 30' 5th wheel. The 2000 runs everything except the air conditioner.

Considered the 3000w unit but could not justify the cost (3000w won't run the a/c either; the manufacturers recommend 4000+ tu run the a/c).

Trailer is getting a new roof before this winter. Will install a solar system at the same time for added charge capability
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM

As a guy that owned a NON honda gennie, I can say I support your decision!!!

Expensive? yes. Buy once, cry once, you'll never regret owning a generator that allows you to talk within 100 yards of the thing!

If you have to quiet a generator, the trick really is how heavy the material surrounding it is. Those sound waves will vibrate right through anything light. Cinder blocks worked best for me around it to channel the noise straight up-ish.

But seriously the next one I'd get would be a Honda. Plus I'd *NEVER* buy one used. Nobody drains the fuel from the carbs and then wonder why it doesn't start after sitting a year or two or three, then they put it on craigslist as needing a little work or something.

Fuel stabilizer is a good investment too , but you already knew that.
Old 07-07-2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
you'll never regret owning a generator that allows you to talk within 100 yards of the thing!
A quick walk through a beach RV site will teach you that, and noisy generators that people think you have to put up with... run the risk of extra attention.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Have you thought about just keeping your 1000k and paralleling with another 1000k. Then you would have the option of running one, or both.

I know that natural gas is a great fuel option but your generator will loose about 20% of rated wattage on that fuel, not sure if the same for propane.
An important consideration when choosing a generator to meet your needs.

I would consider my max wattage needs then add about 20% more wattage for engine longevity, fuel consumption, noise, and good measure.
Old 07-07-2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
What kind of fuel usage do you get with the honda 2k gen? I have a 1k gen that gets crazy good mpg. How big of a tank does it have and how long would it last at idle, 1/4 or 1/3rd eco-throttle?

If you used it for 30 mins per day to charge batteries and maybe run a few small things how long would the tank last?

Ive stuck my 1k up for sale. Guess Im going to get a 2k. Really not crazy about the extra gas consumption or weight but want the extra power if needed for emergencies.
I have a 3000 and a couple 2000's. I can tell you with the 2000, @ 1/3 eco throttle. I've gotten around 7-8 hrs run time on petrol.

I use it to power electronics in remote areas for work. Good move on the 2000. Buy once cry once, also if you have a long term outage or SHTF your put-put wont be alerting the whole neighborhood that you got your **** together

I see a lot of video playback guys with the 1000's.. IMHO, they are lighter but usually redlining when you have a load on. I'd rather have a unit that is running at a lower rpm putting out the same power as the 1000 screaming to keep up.

Also, being a bit anal retentive with my equipment. I always put an hour meter on mine and change more often than recommended. Less than a quart of synthetic is cheap insurance in my book. Oh and I drain my bowl out and use stabil if it's going to be stored for a while. It's usually the 3000 on a trickle.

Will have to check out the tri-fuel system that waxer recommended. Sounds like a smart idea to have the option for propane. Even with Stabil'd CA gas it only last's a year.
Old 07-07-2013, 2:07 PM

How big is the fuel tank ? 7 or 8 hours on a 5 gallon tank isn't very good but it would be fantastic with a 1 gallon tank.

It all gets down to how much wattage you need. I have a EU 7000i for the fifth wheel and it uses less fuel than my buddies eb3500. His is always maxed out and wide open and mine is just loafing. It is always better to have more power than you need.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
How big is the fuel tank ? 7 or 8 hours on a 5 gallon tank isn't very good but it would be fantastic with a 1 gallon tank.

It all gets down to how much wattage you need. I have a EU 7000i for the fifth wheel and it uses less fuel than my buddies eb3500. His is always maxed out and wide open and mine is just loafing. It is always better to have more power than you need.
The tank is technically 0.95gallons, so basically 1gallon. Over the years I've timed the runout and it's around 7-8hrs. I'm powering x2 25" monitors a Macpro tower, vectorscope, and some other little peripherals. This is running @ 2000rpm.
Old 07-08-2013, 4:29 AM

Had the 2000, sold it as I needed the money. Thereafter, I went with A KIPOR 2000 (oddly the parts seem interchangable) and the Champion 2000. Many hours on both and very please at 1/2 the price. Both units are quiet and well built. You can find the remanufactured Champion on eBay for 350 to your door, an awsome deal. Sorry for the thread diversion.