Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default MiFi Vs Smartphone plans ?

So i finally got a old smartphone cheap (Droid X2) and have had it a couple of days and already rooted it (not sure why other then to say its rooted lol) and started loading it up with the apps i want (tapatalk,tomtom, ect) and found it works great as a voip phone with my google voice and that got me thinking if i went ahead and just picked up a MiFi box my monthly service charge would only be about 50 bucks compared to 70 for the same data and phone service and get 4g lte instead of the 3g thats in the Droid, but not knowing much about these new fangled cell services would running groove ip and gvoice all the time eat up alot of data ?

also wondering what the range is on the MiFi's, meaning would they work if i left it say 100 feet away in my car could i access it or would i have to carry it around with me also to keep my phone connected to the wifi ? and if i had to carry it around what's the smallest MiFi around ?

as far as data usage i would only be useing it as a voip phone and surfing places like here and google no videos or music downloads with a 5 gig plan

and any tips to a new smart phone user would be great
Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan View Post
Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.
Old 06-16-2013, 7:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Mifi should work when 100 feet away from your PC/phone. The problem is that in a car, the RF signals could be interfered with because a car has a lot of steel. This environment could cause a lot of signal reflection and scatter, which could potentially cause poor wireless performance.
Old 06-18-2013, 6:45 PM

Your cellular connectivity is going to depend on where you are traveling when you use it. Remember that not all areas will have LTE and in that case, you will fall back to 4G or 3G connectivity. I have two devices; one is for Verizon LTE and the other is on Virgin Mobile (3G/4G). I use the Virgin Mobile hotspot more often because it's less expensive than using the Verizon hotspot. Verizon wants $60 per month on a prepaid plan whenever I use it while the Virgin Mobile service is only $35/month. I only use them when I need data connectivity for a road trip. All other times I am using the data on my phone.
Old 07-14-2013, 8:20 PM

If you get a mifi you will still have to pay for data on your smartphone.
Old 07-16-2013, 2:59 AM

I added a mifi on my t-mobile family plan and it cost me $10 per month for 500M on 4G and unlimited on 3G. I mount my N7 in my car as a stereo controller and navigation. It uses the data from the mifi. It's a cheap solution.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Yeah, I would go Verizon and use the mifi and family plan.