Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Castro Valley 6/15-16 .22lr available

Hi - if you're planning on attending the Appleseed at Chabot next weekend, but need .22lr ammo in order to do so , please pm me. I have enough for 3 or 4 other shooters. Nothing fancy, primarily Rem GBs (always shot well for me), but if it means you can do the weekend, should be good enough.
$30 for the 300 rounds needed (pretty much my cost).
Old 06-07-2013, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

That's good of you. This is probably a long shot but if anybody's planning on going to Chabot on the 14th to get a zero or do function testing or whatever I'm going to be there in the afternoon and would be happy to sell some .22 at cost to people doing the Appleseed that weekend. I can also help people get their rifle zeroed if needed (it'll be rough, since the public lines are at 20 yards instead of the 25 meters appleseed uses, but you'll be close). Just drop me a PM before Thursday.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Right now we've got room for about 10 more folks each day, either advance signups or walk-ons. If you've been letting ammo hold you up, here's your chance...
Old 06-09-2013, 9:19 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Echoing AdvRider & Eljay's offer on ammo, I have CCI 375 count boxes mini mag .22 for any enrolled attendees that need .22 in order to attend, I'll be there and bring extra for that.

... wonder how much extra 22 we'd need to shoot full course rather than reduced round count?

Eljay, I saw this ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=422252 ) -- seems like 20 yard zero is what you need for chabot, and they'll use a scaled target?

Last edited by Trgt; 06-10-2013 at 1:29 AM..
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trgt View Post
Echoing AdvRider & Eljay's offer on ammo, I have CCI 375 count boxes mini mag .22 for any enrolled attendees that need .22 in order to attend, I'll be there and bring extra for that.
Thanks! Help spread the word - we've got space for 10 more shooters.

Quote:
... wonder how much extra 22 we'd need to shoot full course rather than reduced round count?
The usual is 450 - 500 rounds. For this weekend, the basic count is right at 300. I've eliminated some evaluation targets ('redcoats'), substituted dry fire drills in a couple of places, and dropped the 'mad minute' fun shoots. There may be an option, depending on time, to shoot additional 'AQTs' for score, at 40 rounds each, if you've got the ammo.

Quote:
Eljay, I saw this ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=422252 ) -- seems like 20 yard zero is what you need for chabot, and they'll use a scaled target?
For the actual AS shoot, we are at 25m. The 20 yard targets are to use on the Chabot public line, which doesn't have 25m as an option. If you zero about 2 MOA (1/3 inch) low at 20 yards, you should be really close at 25m (depends on your rifle and ammo, of course.)
Old 06-10-2013, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
For the actual AS shoot, we are at 25m. The 20 yard targets are to use on the Chabot public line, which doesn't have 25m as an option. If you zero about 2 MOA (1/3 inch) low at 20 yards, you should be really close at 25m (depends on your rifle and ammo, of course.)
Put another way if you zero for 20 yards you'll be hitting about a half inch high (again, depending on rifle and ammo - this was for a .223 AR). Which means if you're shooting the 1" squares they use to start people on you'll hit the top of the square instead of the center. Which is fine to get rolling, and they teach zeroing early to get that last little bit fine tuned. But as PurplePeople says, if you zero a bit lower at 20 to start you'll be even closer.

The 20 yard targets linked above are handy to practice shooting AQTs at Chabot after the first Appleseed. They're what I used to practice between shooting a Saturday only and then shooting a Sunday only a couple of months later and I made rifleman right away Sunday morning. So they're definitely "good enough".

It's a bit confusing because Chabot has different rules for people renting a range versus people on the public lines.

Last edited by Eljay; 06-10-2013 at 1:17 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 6:02 PM

PurplePeople / Eljay - thanks on the clarifications on 20 vs 25 yard AQT for Chabot, very helpful! You should get them to post some of this chabot specific info to the chabot Appleseed page. It would be very helpful for someone who looks at the general Appleseed info know how its implemented at Chabot. And the reduced round count sounds like its done in an efficient way to not lose anything. I like you considering the option for extra AQTs.

BTW, sounds like some of the Appleseed's will do a longer distance at some point on Sunday, like 100 or 200? Will we do that at Chabot, or will we be strictly at 25M the whole time? Just curious if I should bring a centerfire out for when there is longer distance stuff, or if .22 is fine for the whole course since we're at 25 meters the whole time?

Last edited by Trgt; 06-11-2013 at 6:05 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

At Chabot they just do 25m. Once you've done an Appleseed if you want to do longer distance you will be pleased to hear that the same people periodically run them on a 200m range in San Jose. Look for "KD" shoots in the shoot list. I believe there are two one day shoots scheduled this year. I'm hoping to make it to one - I did a weekend there earlier this year and it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I'd bring the .22 and not plan on switching rifles but if you have a centerfire rifle set up with a sling go ahead and bring it as a backup.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM

There will be one-day "known distance" shoots at the San Jose 'Metcalf' range on the last Saturdays in August and November. Since those are one day only, they will be 'previous Appleseeders only', and we won't do the usual marksmanship instruction. Instead we'll concentrating on getting zeros at multiple distances and firing procedures for KD AQTs. We plan on having side-by-side centerfire (to 200 yards) and rimfire (to 100 yards) lines running.

If you really want to go long distance, though, look into the Redding and Hat Creek shoots up north - they go out to 400 yards - lots of fun!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Anyway, I'd bring the .22 and not plan on switching rifles but if you have a centerfire rifle set up with a sling go ahead and bring it as a backup.
There will be a chance to zero a 2nd rifle on Sunday morning, if you want to bring a centerfire as backup or for fun.
Old 06-13-2013, 7:32 AM

A note from one of our shooters, re ammo supply:

"Ammo for Castro Valley Appleseed The new Dick's Sporting Goods in Dublin has 22LR. I was able to purchase CCI Mini Mag on Wed. 06-12, 3 boxes of 100 per person (over 18). They also had bricks of Remington Gold (525 rounds) for $24.00. Hope this helps! (I think they have another truck coming in on Friday too, be there at opening for your best chance of getting ammo.) "
Old 06-13-2013, 8:53 AM

BTW, do I need to bring tent stakes or sandbags to keep my shooting mat from blowing away? I assume we're range 4 on the dirt 25M from target fence? ... when out there for other stuff the wind is constantly trying to rip the targets off ...

Last edited by Trgt; 06-16-2013 at 6:20 AM..
Old 06-13-2013, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, range 4, they'll take down the fence and put up their own target system but basically in the same place. I shot a match there Saturday and there was no wind but as you have noticed it can get windy there. If you're concerned take a lesson from the boy scouts and "be prepared".
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM

New shooter here, excited for this weekend. Thanks everyone for all the 22lr offers. I have right about 300, so I should be good, but I might take one of you up on it if we end up shooting more.

See everyone there!
Old 06-20-2013, 3:00 PM

Hey guys, i had a great time at my first appleseed I'll be sure to recommend it to my friends! I'll probably make a brief post about it in the training section later .