Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

View Poll Results: Will you Leave Calfornia after Retirement due to the Increase of the Anti-Gun Laws
) Yes, Because the Legislators seem to forget to protect Retired Law Enforcement Officers. 7 14.58%
No, Just Because. 5 10.42%
Yes, Because the CA. continues to make it easier for the criminal element. 33 68.75%
No, Because It's Cheaper than a Divorce,(I'll just buy another Off-Roster Toy). 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Will you Leave California after Retirement Because of the Increased Anti-Gun Laws

Poll Added

Last edited by AR15Man; 06-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Poll
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Add a poll...

I need to get hired first but in all honesty I'd probably stay. I havnt the sligntest idea where else to settle down for retirement. I just know I want a few acres to stretch my legs.

Last edited by Just-in; 06-04-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Already left early this year!!! Enjoying life in Northern Arizona... MANY retired LEO's around the area!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 PM

I'd vote, but the choice of answers is incomplete. So, I'm not voting. If this choice was offered, I'd vote:

"YES I'm leaving CA when I retire because CA politicians are unfriendly to ALL gun owners and I can't hand down certain firearms to my children."

Limiting the choices to just "sworn" or "previously sworn" personnel just leaves out my "non-sworn" friends and family. To me, they are every bit as important, if not more important to me, than myself.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
-Proud "DEPLORABLE!"
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

^ This answer for me, too. I'd begun to make plans to leave California before I retired, the economy and housing market bubble changed those plans for me. I'm back on track now, it's just a matter of time and money.

Edit - This week, I reached my savings goal for the move by selling both of the motorcycles that I owned. The clock is started. By this time next year, if all goes well, I'll be living in a free state!

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 07-05-2013 at 1:56 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

^SAA that forced retirement due to being broken, really put a crimp in my plan. Starting to get things back in line. Although I still face an uphill battle trying to convince someone that Wyoming isn't too cold in the winter.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 PM

P5Ret, I know your troubles all too well my brother.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

SVT-40......What part of AZ do you live?? My wife and I were looking at Prescott.

For the poll.......Its the taxes, cost of living, other laws and not the gun laws that is chasing me out.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM

The new batch of anti-guns bills which just passed the senate pushed me over the edge. Hope to be retired before they go into effect and then outta here for sure. Even if they don't get signed into law, the future of Ca. is slanted towards those in the cart (aka freeloaders) and not those pulling the cart (aka taxpayers) so I'm still outta here.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
I'd vote, but the choice of answers is incomplete. So, I'm not voting. If this choice was offered, I'd vote:

"YES I'm leaving CA when I retire because CA politicians are unfriendly to ALL gun owners and I can't hand down certain firearms to my children."

Limiting the choices to just "sworn" or "previously sworn" personnel just leaves out my "non-sworn" friends and family. To me, they are every bit as important, if not more important to me, than myself.
---

Totally agree with your statement.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:37 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am definitely leaving when I retire. I decided this years ago.
Old 06-05-2013, 7:39 AM

I am more motivated to escape the high personal tax rates. NV is looking pretty good.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:06 AM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I am looking to Idaho currently. It will be before I retire, WAY before. I almost put in for Colorado recently as well, but with their new laws passing I am glad I didn't go for it.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:34 AM

not to mention there is no state income tax in Nevada so I should be getting about 11% more on my check.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
SVT-40......What part of AZ do you live?? My wife and I were looking at Prescott.

For the poll.......Its the taxes, cost of living, other laws and not the gun laws that is chasing me out.
This for me, plus the massive liberal/dependant state we live in...
Old 06-05-2013, 9:48 AM

Why leave AFTER retirement?
Old 06-05-2013, 9:58 AM

Yes.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM

"At the end of my working career I'd like to take my tax deferred savings to a state with lower income taxes and a lower cost of living."

For the younger crowd......take this amount and think about 9.3% gone to the state.........or keep the amount in your pocket......Especially if you go to a non-income tax state like NV. If you take into account your pension on top of this its an easy decision (for me). If my wife and I moved to NV we would be getting enough of a net increase that it would be like a free house payment. I have two friends who bought a new four door Jeep Wrangler this year. The one in Oregon pays $89 for two years DMV reg & fees. The Calif buyer paid about $1000.00 for one year.

The AB 109 babies (Jerry's Kids) don't help either.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Prescott. The perfect place for us. We looked for over two years. Found the perfect place!!

Just down the block and around the corner a ex LASD deputy just bought a home....The guy across the street from him is a retired Prescott cop who now works for the tribal police here in town. He works with a guy I worked with for 20+years who also retired here and also works for the tribal PD.

Small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Think twice about NV. It's a young Ca and their state is controlled by Dems. Although pro-gun now, this can change when more Ca. blue people move there. No tax is nice too but don't want to have move twice. Idaho sounds like my kind of place and will gladly pay my state tax to keep my 2nd Amend rights.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM

I had one co-worker retire and move to Mexico! He lives in a gated fully furnished apt complex thats very plush. $400 a month......He keeps his guns in Calif/AZ though. Another is thinking about the Philippines.......fully furnished condo runs about $1500 in a very nice area.

Last edited by oddjob; 06-05-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

Go Phillipines, at least there you can get a CCW reallly easy even for AR's
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddis View Post
Think twice about NV. It's a young Ca and their state is controlled by Dems. Although pro-gun now, this can change when more Ca. blue people move there. No tax is nice too but don't want to have move twice. Idaho sounds like my kind of place and will gladly pay my state tax to keep my 2nd Amend rights.
My dad retired there and hates it. Can't get out now...One of my co workers actually moved to Washington State and found a part time job on the other side of the river in Oregon. He's raking in the dough...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Default arizona

Prescott, AZ for me next year. Two of my fellow officers there already. Prescott is named as one of the top ten places recomended for retirement.
Old 06-05-2013, 2:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^ 100%

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Last edited by yzernie; 06-05-2013 at 2:39 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in View Post
Add a poll...

I need to get hired first but in all honesty I'd probably stay. I havnt the sligntest idea where else to settle down for retirement. I just know I want a few acres to stretch my legs.
You'll lose that in the divorce. I know I did. The only acres you'll get after divorce is in NM or west Texas
Old 06-05-2013, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
Why leave AFTER retirement?
It depends on if you are divorced and lost 50% of your retirement. Lost all of your life savings before and after the divorce due to ex-wife's spending habits. If you are a home owner or not. My house I bought in 1987 for $800/mo I lost in a divorce and I pay twice that much today just to rent. The BK that led to the divorce leaves you with no credit cards too.

Great if you have a 3.0 but my agency did not. So my retirement is no where near what I expected in 1981.
Old 06-05-2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
I had one co-worker retire and move to Mexico! He lives in a gated fully furnished apt complex thats very plush. $400 a month......He keeps his guns in Calif/AZ though.
I had a co-worker do that too. He bought a bar and restaurant. Got murdered there too. R.I.P.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
It depends on if you are divorced and lost 50% of your retirement. Lost all of your life savings before and after the divorce due to ex-wife's spending habits. If you are a home owner or not. My house I bought in 1987 for $800/mo I lost in a divorce and I pay twice that much today just to rent. The BK that led to the divorce leaves you with no credit cards too.

Great if you have a 3.0 but my agency did not. So my retirement is no where near what I expected in 1981.
Ouch! I'm sorry to read of your misfortune.

I'm in the under 30 and not married crowd which is why I had to ask the question. Stay here for nearly another 40 years to wait for retirement? How about a hell no! A no income tax state sounds highly desirable. I have several friends looking into Tennessee around the Nashville area and I will be working as hard as I can to try and join them. I'm ready for a different pace of life and a culture that has more of a tendency to be a community.
Old 06-05-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddis View Post
Nevada is still largely Republican except you guessed it... Reno (Washoe County) and Las Vegas (Clark County).

Even though I'm only up there about 1 weekend a month I have no worries. Next door neighbor is a Warden for Nevada Wildlife. Across the street lived the retired Sgt, Maj for the Marine Corps' Mountain Warfare Training Center. Several Correctional Officers for the Nevada State Prison in Carson City and numerous Lyon County Sheriff's and Nevada Highway Patrol officers.
Old 06-05-2013, 9:09 PM

Glad to hear so many retired cops are looking at/living in Prescott. We recently opened escrow on a very nice townhouse in the Hassayampa area of Prescott; expect to close by the end of the month. Looking forward to connecting with the retired cops in the area.
Old 06-06-2013, 2:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

After thinking about this for a couple days I realized the reasons I want out. I moved here in 1966 when the company my dad worked for expanded and transfered him out here from the outskirts of Chicago. He said then he didn't want to come here because there were "to many wierdo people out there". Little did I know his words would ring prophetic.

I remember growing up in SoCal and being able to walk anywhere without fear of getting your *** kicked for no reason. Had to walk because my mom didn't drive and dad worked two jobs so mom could stay at home. I used to go door to door in my neighborhood and ask the folks if they wanted their soda/milk bottles so I could go turn them in for bubble gum money. Now people, even your own neighbors, won't answer the door when you go over to say hi and give them a piece of mail that accidently got put into your box.

The list of societal degeneration I have see over my time in this state is staggering. I'm tired of this state continuing the hammer the good and working people of our communities with more taxes, fees, permits, stupid laws, taxes, levies, plain ole highway robbery to register a car in this state, taxes, more stupid laws...and on...and on...in order to support the dredges of our state. These fools in Sacto refuse to identify with the working stiffs of our state and continue to tax us and implement idiotic laws to the point of breaking our spirit and love of the state. I'm tired of driving on the freeways and having to dodge trash, holes that would swollow my motorcycle and shake me hard enough to have to wear a kidney belt to keep from bleeding when I pee.

I used to like living in this state because it afforded those who wanted to work an opportunity to better their own and their families lives. With all of the nonsense Sacto has imposed on our lives in the last couple years I no longer like living in this state and haven't for several years. We have retirement propery in another state and the wife will be retiring early next year. She has been working on our retirement house plans and we will be living in a much more friendly state come 2015. I truly find that sad as this state has natural beauty but unfortunaly, to me it is not worth dealing with having to carry my gun with me everywhere I go just to make sure I dion't get jumped by some jackass while pumping gas. I'll miss it but I can always come visit!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-06-2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
Ouch! I'm sorry to read of your misfortune.

I'm in the under 30 and not married crowd which is why I had to ask the question. Stay here for nearly another 40 years to wait for retirement? How about a hell no! A no income tax state sounds highly desirable. I have several friends looking into Tennessee around the Nashville area and I will be working as hard as I can to try and join them. I'm ready for a different pace of life and a culture that has more of a tendency to be a community.
< 30 and single, you got a great future stay focus. When I was a hot shot rookie the Vets told me my wife was a gold digger, d'oh should have listen.

Stay safe my friend
Old 06-06-2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Glad to hear so many retired cops are looking at/living in Prescott. We recently opened escrow on a very nice townhouse in the Hassayampa area of Prescott; expect to close by the end of the month. Looking forward to connecting with the retired cops in the area.
If you like baseball, the adult league is likely 50% retired cops.
Old 06-06-2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
After thinking about this for a couple days I realized the reasons I want out. ...

... to me it is not worth dealing with having to carry my gun with me everywhere I go just to make sure I dion't get jumped by some jackass while pumping gas. I'll miss it but I can always come visit!!!
My brother, a cop too. He dropped a BG in his driveway. About 5 years later I am working graveyard shift and when I entered my car I knew that van did not belong across the street. I left my coffee cup in the house so I exited my car spooked the BG he missed me by three feet (blew out the window) and his buddy had that van rolling 0 to 60 in a nanosecond. Suspects still outstanding ...

Stay safe my friends

Last edited by Che762x39; 06-06-2013 at 2:30 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-06-2013, 7:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Why is divorce so expensive?...because it is worth EVERY penny of it!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 06-07-2013, 7:25 AM

I'm headed out of here.......for every single reason listed above!.....Oh.....I'm taking the Original O'Lady.......Lucky me!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Prescott. The perfect place for us. We looked for over two years. Found theooths perfect place!!

Just down the block and around the corner a ex LASD deputy just bought a home....The guy across the street from him is a retired Prescott cop who now works for the tribal police here in town. He works with a guy I worked with for 20+years who also retired here and also works for the tribal PD.

Small world.
Shhhhhhh!!!

SORRY, Arizona's all full.

Gov Brewer is going to install inbound tax collection booths on I-10 and I-8 for all the potential westbound escapees.

BTW, my property taxes on 2.5 acres is $1,075 per year. 3bd 2 ba attached garage.

AR15MAN
(Successful Komiforniastan Escapee)
Old 06-09-2013, 4:09 AM

How come the last free states are mostly either desert or cold? Why can't, say, Hawaii or the Florida Keys (I know, I know, its part of a state...), be gun friendly places to live with effective governments? I don't plan on waiting till I retire to jump ship, my problem is finding a place where I can deal with the weather. I'll admit, I've been spoiled by the California weather and the beautiful scenery.
Old 06-09-2013, 8:24 PM

How is Prescott Valley??