Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Just got a call from one of the deputies that I was also accepted into the academy! So I'll be at the upcoming orientation for the Extended August format as well. I'm so excited to get started, it's going to be pretty difficult to contain myself at work today!
Awesome brother! Great to hear another calgunner will be there! We can help each other through.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
Awesome brother! Great to hear another calgunner will be there! We can help each other through.
Most definitely! We'll get in touch at some point sooner or later, for sure.
Old 06-11-2013, 2:31 PM

Make sure that you don't roll up in a rice rocket or something fuming out the tail pipe.

I think another member already stated this, but make sure your vehicle is up to code.

LEO's are not immune to laws... on paper, however you are not sworn in yet and just another cadet until then.

That being said, my MR2 is 100% CA legal. Vroom, Vroom!
Old 06-11-2013, 3:33 PM

All vehicles are up to code. Gave up the "tuner" life a long time ago. I was never really to big on that. Now I'm driving my son around in our family grocery getter. I'm lucky I get to keep my bike...lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 4:47 PM

I've gone through my truck ever since I heard others saying that they were cited for their vehicles not being up to code and things like that. I've been lagging on getting mudflaps (that has been in the plans for at least a few months now), but definitely need to get some now!

I'm still into modifying and working on my vehicles, but I just don't have the funds to get myself another Z32TT, so I won't have to worry about that.
Old 06-12-2013, 2:12 PM

Does anyone know what the "dress code" is for orientation day?
Old 06-12-2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
Does anyone know what the "dress code" is for orientation day?
Actually, I was thinking about that as soon as I got off the phone with my fiance to tell her the exciting news.

The deputy asked if I had any questions, but I totally forgot to ask her. My plan was to wear the simple slacks, shirt, and tie. Nothing too fancy like a full on, 3 piece suit, but still very presentable and clean.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM

Wear a suit. Be professional and NOT "pimptastic" or trendy. Standard business. Power ties. LEO's should always present themselves as professional, at ALL times.

Sell yourself. Not like a prostitute, but like a business trying to earn another company's business.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Here are the Sac Sheriff's radio codes and phonetic alphabets for anyone who wants to start studying ahead of time.

Radio Codes

Phonetic Alphabets

Last edited by StraightShot04; 06-18-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Congrats to you guys! its always exciting to get that call. Prepare yourselves and your family for the next couple of months. Prepare your body (work out!) and mind (you CAN do this, no matter WHAT they say). You are going to go through the ringer. Nothing you do will be good enough, and even if you are ready, some of your classmates will not be ready.

Day 1 my class was around 100 cadets all smiling and happy. The DT team kicked the door and it went from all smiles to WTF did I just get into. They marched us outside and proceeded to destroy everything you thought you did right. The next few weeks we had DT plus the presure of the academy. It then went from DT to our PT instructors who KNEW if you didnt prepare.

Needless to say it wasn't what I would call "fun" however, the class got closer, and better yet we each found out how tough we mentally were. I had torn cartalige in my rib cage, but I finished and I did it, I had shin splints and I was able to run through them. I didn't think I could ever be that "tough", and at the end of the academy I KNEW that I was.

We graduated 40 out of the 100 that joined. We lost people to PT, testing, shooting and people who just couldnt deal with the yelling. (there is alot)

Good luck to you guys, prepare yourselves!

EDIT: Wear a suit, shine your shoes, you never know who will be there for orientation. I wore a suit to mine and the first person we saw (and who saw us) was the Chief of police at a local agency sitting in to watch for possible new hires. This is a year long job interview.

Last edited by Jonnyboy182; 06-18-2013 at 11:49 AM..
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy182 View Post
Congrats to you guys! its always exciting to get that call. Prepare yourselves and your family for the next couple of months. Prepare your body (work out!) and mind (you CAN do this, no matter WHAT they say). You are going to go through the ringer. Nothing you do will be good enough, and even if you are ready, some of your classmates will not be ready.

Day 1 my class was around 100 cadets all smiling and happy. The DT team kicked the door and it went from all smiles to WTF did I just get into. They marched us outside and proceeded to destroy everything you thought you did right. The next few weeks we had DT plus the presure of the academy. It then went from DT to our PT instructors who KNEW if you didnt prepare.

Needless to say it wasn't what I would call "fun" however, the class got closer, and better yet we each found out how tough we mentally were. I had torn cartalige in my rib cage, but I finished and I did it, I had shin splints and I was able to run through them. I didn't think I could ever be that "tough", and at the end of the academy I KNEW that I was.

We graduated 40 out of the 100 that joined. We lost people to PT, testing, shooting and people who just couldnt deal with the yelling. (there is alot)

Good luck to you guys, prepare yourselves!

EDIT: Wear a suit, shine your shoes, you never know who will be there for orientation. I wore a suit to mine and the first person we saw (and who saw us) was the Chief of police at a local agency sitting in to watch for possible new hires. This is a year long job interview.
Thank you for your encouraging words. I will definately do all that I can to possibly help myself advance and be that much closer to being a sworn officer or deputy. As the day gets closer, I get more excited about what is in store for the future. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried as well.

Last edited by StraightShot04; 06-18-2013 at 1:42 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy182 View Post
To any possible future recruits, listen and follow the wise words above. Orientation was last night and I am glad I listened. There were definately some high profile people who will be a part of the hiring process there. Those who wore anything less than a suit got chewed out.