Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-31-2013, 1:22 PM

Default Academy

So I've finally got word that I am accepted into the a Sheriff Academy and I feel honored. I am going in as a non-sponsered non-affiliated attending the extended format in August. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and/or information about surviving and graduating. I know it's a long shot and there is no actual guarantee of a job in the end but it's something I've always wanted to do and feel dedicated to do so. Any insight will be helpful and thanks in advance.

Last edited by StraightShot04; 02-08-2016 at 2:46 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 2:15 PM

Get in good physical shape now. And find out ways to get help with the kiddo and anything else around the house ahead of time. If you don't have enough time to train and fully understand the materials because you are busy with work, family, or whatever else don't waste your time going yet. Good LEO jobs are often very competitive right now; don't whittle down your chances by scoring poorly on the tests.

That being said, if you can get in good shape ahead of time and are able to keep a clear schedule as best you can you will do fine. LEO academies aren't THAT difficult.
Old 05-31-2013, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Make sure you CDL and vehicle registration are up to date...every class has at least on which is expired.

Don't be late for anything...believe me you don't want to carry a rock around.

The traffic getting onto the base is always worst then you think it will be...learn where the back way in is.
Old 06-02-2013, 4:49 PM

Thanks for the info and tips. I'm not too worried about my son. He has loving grandparents that already watch him while I'm at work and a loving mother as well. As far as physical shape, I believe I am in decent shape but I still hit the gym almost on a nightly basis to try and push myself further. Any other tips and what to expect or look out for is greatly appreciated. Insight from anyone who went through the academy while working would greatly help as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 5:08 PM

You will be doing lots of memos. Use real language; not text codes or you will get even more memos.

Use a dictionary when needed as spelling memos can add up quickly.

If they require handwritten vs computer stuff, get a stencil at a uniform store and learn to use it now.

Make sure your vehicle is CA compliant as they do inspections and
violations equal more memos.

You're there for a reason, to learn and graduate, plus you have a family.
Don't get pulled into the groups that study at a restaurant or bar.

Is this a III/II, or a III/II/I academy?
Old 06-02-2013, 6:23 PM

III/II/I
Old 06-02-2013, 6:37 PM

Good luck to you.
Old 06-02-2013, 7:03 PM

good luck man
Old 06-02-2013, 7:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I went through the extended academy several years ago in Santa Rosa. It took about a year. We met Tues and Thurs evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday. I can tell you that it might be a little hard physically but the biggest challenge for most of us was mental. You have to balance your day job, family life, and the demands of the academy for a year. You are basically giving up a year of your life. Is it worth it? For me it was.
Best of luck to you.
Old 06-02-2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Make sure you CDL and vehicle registration are up to date...every class has at least on which is expired.

Don't be late for anything...believe me you don't want to carry a rock around.

The traffic getting onto the base is always worst then you think it will be...learn where the back way in is.
They have moved the academy back to Riverwalk.....where it should be

Op...start running now. I was in decent shape when I started the academy. Was regularly cycling 100-200 miles a week and assumed I would be fine running. Shin splints and torn meniscus in both knees made the multiple daily runs miserable.

Don't worry about being non-affiliated. Almost everyone gets picked up as an on-call (no benefits and limited anual hours) if they graduate. VERY common to work as an on-call for a few years before getting picked up full time.

And as others have said...have your vehicle 100% legal. Academy staff was NOT humored by the bullet holes in my windsheild. They cited me for broken windsheild and no mud flaps.

Last edited by Rockit; 06-02-2013 at 7:46 PM..
Old 06-02-2013, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
They have moved the academy back to Riverwalk.....where it should be
You're right...the thing to remember is not to drink the water there.

Not speeding through the neighborhood is very important as Riverwalk is located in one of the most entitled parts of Sacto

Quote:
Op...start running now. I was in decent shape when I started the academy. Was regularly cycling 100-200 miles a week and assumed I would be fine running. Shin splints and torn meniscus in both knees made the multiple daily runs miserable.
Yup, run and build wind

Quote:
Don't worry about being non-affiliated. Almost everyone gets picked up as an on-call (no benefits and limited anual hours) if they graduate. VERY common to work as an on-call for a few years before getting picked up full time.
This has been true of every academy class I've ever seen...On-Calls are actually called Permanent Intermittent employees...and they are allowed to work up to one pay period short of half a year.

The only trainees who didn't become On-Calls were ones who got picked up by other local departments, ones who were taken for warrants during their background checks and the one who got a DUI 3 weeks before graduation
Old 06-02-2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post

The only trainees who didn't become On-Calls were ones who got picked up by other local departments, ones who were taken for warrants during their background checks and the one who got a DUI 3 weeks before graduation
Unbelievable...

My confidence to keep testing has been boosted for the day.
Old 06-02-2013, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
As far as physical shape, I believe I am in decent shape

As CBR_rider said, "Get in good physical shape now." Being in decent shape won't do it. You definitely need to be in good shape prior to entering. Don't just run, but also do push ups, sit ups and squad thrusts. You will be doing a lot of them during the academy.

If you are in good shape when you enter, you will be in great shape when you graduate. The promise you need to make to yourself when you graduate, is to remain in good shape during your career if you are hired. Some let themselves go and become not only out of shape, but obese. Not only are you possibly putting yourself in danger, you do the same for your partners.

I know of one incident at my station were a deputy was in a fight with a burglary suspect for his gun (deputy's). They were in the back yard of a residence. The assisting deputy who was in the rear yard of the neighbor's residence, was unable to climb over the wall to assist the deputy struggling with the suspect because of his weight and poor physical condition. Thankfully, the deputy in the struggle gained control of the suspect and cuffed him. You don't want to be either leo in a similar situation.
Old 06-03-2013, 7:29 AM

I was also accepted to the Sheriff Academy starting in August but I'm a little worried about the physical part more specifically the weight training. I had an injury to my arm that makes it very difficult to do bench presses, if anyone knows how much lifting are you required to do in the Academy? I can do everything else no problem, push, sit ups and running. I did 7 years in the military prior.
Old 06-03-2013, 8:16 AM

I just wanted to say good luck to everyone. It's not something anyone wants to repeat, but it'll be fun
Old 06-03-2013, 8:48 AM

Thank you all for the well wishes and excellent tips. It definitely helps and is appreciated.
Old 06-03-2013, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstart101 View Post
I was also accepted to the Sheriff Academy starting in August but I'm a little worried about the physical part more specifically the weight training. I had an injury to my arm that makes it very difficult to do bench presses, if anyone knows how much lifting are you required to do in the Academy? I can do everything else no problem, push, sit ups and running. I did 7 years in the military prior.
Geez, I can tell the academy has changed quite a bit from when I attended.

We didn't lift at all and the hardest thing were did was run a couple of miles every other day...they timed us for 3 miles before graduation
Old 06-03-2013, 7:42 PM

Same here, thanks for the wishes. As of right now the only thing I'm worried about is my work conflicting with the academy hours on sATURDAY.
Old 06-03-2013, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck with the job conflicts.

I leave you with something I'm pretty sure you know already. No matter how non-understanding your employer might be about you missing work, it will pale to the reaction of the academy staff.

LE is a calling and it requires a dedicated personal commitment. But take that with a grain of salt; I was paid a full salary while I attended...but, we had to live on site
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 AM

I went there a few years ago for Level I. There are good instructors there. Good luck and if your are looking to save some $$$ on uniforms, I'll sell you mine. PM me for sizes if you are interested.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM

I didn't attend that academy, but I did go through an extended III/II/I one.
It took 11 months of every friday night and all day Sat/Sun. Not fun, we lost over half of our class. (60% or so). I also was married, working full time and had a son that was about 2.

Tips? Get in shape. We didnt do much weight-training, we did a TON of crossfit stuff, pushups, etc. The main punishment was squats or pushups. Be ready to run for a few miles and sprint for a short distance. The most we ever ran was about 5 miles, they were going to get us up to 10 but the trainer went to a POST class and we started sprinting over distance running.

Learn how to study and manage your time. I had a room in my house that was "my office" where all my books/uniforms/gear went. The tests aren't all that "hard" but they are "tough". If you dont study or take it seriously you will fail. A vast majority of the people that failed in my class failed because of testing. We did lose 2 to PT and a few to shooting as well.

You will always have the idiots that come and screw up when in the academy. My class didn't see that as much as the jr class when I was going through. They lost quite a few to DUI's. Think before you do anything.

Good luck, keep your head down, BUY 2 OF EVERYTHING!, learn how to shine boots, learn how to press your uniforms or get them done by a good place. Make sure your family understands the difficulty you will be going through, and are prep(ed) to help you.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM

It's been quite awhile but, basic rules don't change.
1. Work on your study habits. Work on memorization and how you memorize.
2. Common sense. If you don't have good Cop common sense, you should have time to develop it. That is part of job of the Academy.
3. Teamwork. Always help your teammates at the fist indication of help needed....at least offer it.
4. Notetaking. Take copious class notes in case you have to let someone in #3, above, borrow them. Worst case, you have good notes for studying. Writing the notes enforces the memorization above.
5. High quality manicure scissors AND clippers. Irish pennant removal.
6. Quit nothing, ever.

Best wishes!
Old 06-06-2013, 6:46 PM

Does anyone know how much money I will need to have by orientation day? I was told to bring a check in the amount of $1150 for tuition and money for other things. How much exactly or an estimate of what I will need.
Old 06-06-2013, 7:01 PM

I've been told to save up to $5k comfortably in case of any issues with life or unexpected bills. You just never know.

IIRC Sac Sheriff requires all new deputies to start off in the jail for 3 years. I believe it is 5 now, but don't quote me. I know deputies that have been there for as long as 6 and still not at the top of the list to go out into the field, however they've all said that they've learned valuable info for the streets.

I actually am trying to get into the reserves for any local agency, but its been difficult. Every officer/deputy that I've asked gives me a different answer. The recruiters for the reserve programs don't reply back and even the Sacramento County Association of Reserve Deputy Sheriffs has been difficult to get a hold of.

Its almost as if its strictly for retired guys and that's it. Come on, even Steven Seagal and Shaq are Reserve Deputy Sheriffs for their counties.
Old 06-06-2013, 7:31 PM

Good luck, Straightshot and headstart!

Hoping that I'll get word soon if I got into the same Academy.
Old 06-06-2013, 8:37 PM

Get ready for the 5 mile run to Watt ave and back.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
I've been told to save up to $5k comfortably in case of any issues with life or unexpected bills. You just never know.

IIRC Sac Sheriff requires all new deputies to start off in the jail for 3 years. I believe it is 5 now, but don't quote me. I know deputies that have been there for as long as 6 and still not at the top of the list to go out into the field, however they've all said that they've learned valuable info for the streets.

I actually am trying to get into the reserves for any local agency, but its been difficult. Every officer/deputy that I've asked gives me a different answer. The recruiters for the reserve programs don't reply back and even the Sacramento County Association of Reserve Deputy Sheriffs has been difficult to get a hold of.

Its almost as if its strictly for retired guys and that's it. Come on, even Steven Seagal and Shaq are Reserve Deputy Sheriffs for their counties.
I hear you man! That's why I ended up going the non-affiliate route. Also, I'm not too worried about unexpected bills but more so on how much I need for the actual academy for orientation asides the tuition it's self. Anyway, good luck to you Jesse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Good luck, Straightshot and headstart!

Hoping that I'll get word soon if I got into the same Academy.
Thanks esy. My buddy just got word yesterday so don't lose hope yet.
Old 06-07-2013, 7:53 AM

Lol I didn't know this was you buddy. Text/call me later. I have experienced people that are willing to share with you info on what to expect. In person with documents and what not.

You'll be a zombie through the extended though. I may just do this myself or atleast to complete module II. Apparently module III alone means nothing to our local agencies. On paper yes, but real life no.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
I hear you man! That's why I ended up going the non-affiliate route. Also, I'm not too worried about unexpected bills but more so on how much I need for the actual academy for orientation asides the tuition it's self. Anyway, good luck to you Jesse.

Thanks esy. My buddy just got word yesterday so don't lose hope yet.
As far as money is concerned, I've estimated the same as others have mentioned with $5k in fees, equipment, etc. that was on the higher end as far as what SSD listed on their site and an overestimate.

Thanks for the kind words. I haven't lost hope, but it's just that my circumstances with my T-score are what's holding my process up. Once That clears up (hopefully very soon), everything will get rolling from that point on.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Kao, here:

http://www.arc.losrios.edu/Programs_...my/Modules.htm

The links are from last year, but if you look at Module I its $1,300 roughly for returning students who've completed Modules III and II through ARC. IDK about Module II or III pricing yet, but I've emailed SRPSTC about it already.

Sierra College has a similar program.

Either way I'll be there for this year. It appears they start in late December for Module III.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:53 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Sac Sheriff's Academy satisfies Modules III/II/I?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Yes if you take the full academy. This is for the Modular if you did not opt for the full time academy, but this is essentially the breakdown.

Are you sponsored by SSD?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Yes if you take the full academy. This is for the Modular if you did not opt for the full time academy, but this is essentially the breakdown.

Are you sponsored by SSD?
Oh okay, got it. I will be doing the full academy but unsponsored. Hopefully I can land a position before, during or after the academy.
Old 06-10-2013, 3:44 PM

Good luck. 6 straight months of essentially boot camp should be fun. You'll learn a ton of stuff that's extrememly valuable.

Its funny that I basically watched you grow up since you were in high school. Now you're becoming an honorable young man. Can't say the same for most in your generation. Good job.

PS, I can get you on a few ride a longs also. I'm doing one soon at one of the jails and maybe one in the surrounding areas of Oak Park AKA "Shank Central". If you wish to join, I'll send you the applications and submit at the same time.
Old 06-10-2013, 9:58 PM

Unsponsored is the way to go! Shows you have heart or 3 DUI's on your record. JK good luck the academy was fun for me due to knowing what to expect from being a vet.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTheCop View Post
Unsponsored is the way to go! Shows you have heart or 3 DUI's on your record. JK good luck the academy was fun for me due to knowing what to expect from being a vet.
Any tips for someone with no military background?
Old 06-11-2013, 8:02 AM

Watch the first half of "Full Metal Jacket"

Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTheCop View Post
Watch the first half of "Full Metal Jacket"
bwahahahaha
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Academy staff was NOT humored by the bullet holes in my windsheild. They cited me for broken windsheild and no mud flaps.
Why does that not surprise me!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Just got a call from one of the deputies that I was also accepted into the academy! So I'll be at the upcoming orientation for the Extended August format as well. I'm so excited to get started, it's going to be pretty difficult to contain myself at work today!