Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-04-2013, 2:10 PM

The targets are within reason as they look the same at 25 yards as a NRA A23 target would look in irons at 50 yards.

I personally shoot these when I am practicing. They are about the exact same size as this months target, but with the outer rings.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8536/8...f952858b_o.jpg

The outer rings mean nothing to me when shooting as I often can't even make them out. All I look for is my black dot.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 06-04-2013, 2:13 PM
Head Janitor

Why did this turn in to a debate thread and who gave mrrabbit the wrong definition of 'strawman'?

Seriously, if that's all you're going to say to people at least use it in the right context for crap's sake!

Now, knock of the bickering and thread derailing and stay on topic.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 06-04-2013, 2:15 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Why did this turn in to a debate thread and who gave mrrabbit the wrong definition of 'strawman'?

Seriously, if that's all you're going to say to people at least use it in the right context for crap's sake!

Now, knock of the bickering and thread derailing and stay on topic.
Thank you.

Izzy43
Old 06-04-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Strawman - I'm asking the opposite - don't shrink. The normal 50 from March and the 100 and 25 from May for example are just right.

=8-)
PM Sent.
Old 06-04-2013, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
So stop using a center of mass hold, and use a 6 o'clock hold. I even found an image for you of an example of a 6 o'clock hold sight picture. You'll notice that the center of the target is not obstructed. Using a different sight picture so your target isn't obstructed has nothing to do with "elite" equipment, it's using a more appropriate sight picture for the equipment you have.
edit: Heck, here's another image for you
You posted that graphic....not I.

The slight under at 6 o'clock is what I use for 25, the "on" 6 o'clock is what I use for 50, and 12 o'clock roughly 7-8 inches up is what I use for 100 for my Henry AR-7 zeroed at 50.

Go back to May posting and see my 100 and 25. I had no problem seeing those targets - Mr. Consistency won those matches - that's for me to deal with.

This month however the OP posted 25 yard targets that are smaller. I sighted 'em last night - all I see is a tiny ball - I have no chance at estimating and aiming within. I'm reduced to simply hitting the target period.

For those wondering about my eyesight - I build 300-500 bicycle wheels per year @ +/- .002-.003 in. tolerance without the use of a dial indicator.

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
You posted that graphic....not I.

The slight under at 6 o'clock is what I use for 25, the "on" 6 o'clock is what I use for 50, and 12 o'clock roughly 7-8 inches up is what I use for 100 for my Henry AR-7 zeroed at 50.

Go back to May posting and see my 100 and 25. I had no problem seeing those targets - Mr. Consistency won those matches - that's for me to deal with.

This month however the OP posted 25 yard targets that are smaller. I sighted 'em last night - all I see is a tiny ball - I have no chance at estimating and aiming within. I'm reduced to simply hitting the target period.

For those wondering about my eyesight - I build 300-500 bicycle wheels per year @ +/- .002-.003 in. tolerance without the use of a dial indicator.

=8-)
Bottom line the point we are all trying to make is we all see it as a little dot. Atleast I know I am not superman with magnified vision, and I already showed you what my sight picture looks like.

We are all shooting the same target - I personally thought my score was pretty bad. 204/480 possible points is way below 50%. Now hopefully with some practice I can improve on that. My short term goal is to score 240 plus.

This is how I shoot on a normal training day.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga

Last edited by Dattebayo; 06-04-2013 at 2:30 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Anyhow polite and reasonable PM received...so I'll stop at this point.

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 2:54 PM

OK !!!! ENOUGH WITH THE BULL*****

I haven't heard this much crap in a long time, like when my kids played 3rd grade soccer
( oh yea everybody got a trophy )
The targets are what they are LIKE IT OR NOT

mrrabbitt deal with it, or get off this forum !!!!

The match coordinators spend a lot of time and effort to run these matches and I for one appreciate there efforts and I don't care to see one person posting all of this negative crap on my favorite forum
Old 06-04-2013, 3:28 PM

Man does my 10/22 like that Wolf MT. Just wish I could find some more. Not sure if I can improve on this one. BTW, I removed the extra 'stuff' on the target to save on printer ink.

100 YRDS Bench Ruger 10/22 Wolf MT BSA scope 24x
Score: 100 (104 if we're doing the extra points)

Last edited by rwojnilo; 06-04-2013 at 3:31 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwojnilo View Post
Man does my 10/22 like that Wolf MT. Just wish I could find some more. Not sure if I can improve on this one. BTW, I removed the extra 'stuff' on the target to save on printer ink.

100 YRDS Ruger 10/22 Wolf MT BSA scope 24x

That is some awesome shooting man! Love the wood on that stock as well!
Old 06-04-2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:

That is absolutely spectacular shooting and very nice rifle. You saved me some $$$ this month, no need for me to shoot (but I will anyway). Could you measure the distance from the outside of the two holes that are the farthest from each other and subtract .22". I think that groups is well below MOA (1" @100yds). I hate to shout on the internet but "DO NOT SELL THAT RIFLE".
Old 06-04-2013, 3:44 PM

To Mr. Rabbits,

I didn't understand your dilemma until I actually started drawing sight pictures. The way it was explained to me was that I should always make a lollipop with the front sight and the target. Therefore, I have drawn some sight pictures for your consideration. The top row is how you are shooting now, the bottom row is a potential solution for your issue.

Regards,

Shelton

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sight_pictures.jpg (6.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo2x View Post
To Mr. Rabbits,

I didn't understand your dilemma until I actually started drawing sight pictures. The way it was explained to me was that I should always make a lollipop with the front sight and the target. Therefore, I have drawn some sight pictures for your consideration. The top row is how you are shooting now, the bottom row is a potential solution for your issue.

Regards,

Shelton

Rear sight is an aperture (peep). It does work exactly as designed - but I really do prefer the old open blades.

Supposedly you look through the peep and focus on the blade and target, not at the peep. That's what I do. So how do you do what you're suggesting other than adjusting the peep blade itself which has no markings for recording 25, 50 and 100 yard zeros?

Time to take out that jewelers file?

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
That is absolutely spectacular shooting and very nice rifle. You saved me some $$$ this month, no need for me to shoot (but I will anyway). Could you measure the distance from the outside of the two holes that are the farthest from each other and subtract .22". I think that groups is well below MOA (1" @100yds). I hate to shout on the internet but "DO NOT SELL THAT RIFLE".
Dattebayo: Thanks, everything just came together for this one. This was my second of 4 targets. First being sighters, and I was not able to replicate the grouping on the following targets. Close but not quite.

Izzy43: Thanks also. This rifle has always loved the wolf ammo and I would never sell it as it's my first customized 10/22. This baby will be handed down some day.

Here's the measurement:

Old 06-04-2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Dattebayo: Thanks, everything just came together for this one. This was my second of 4 targets. First being sighters, and I was not able to replicate the grouping on the following targets. Close but not quite.

Izzy43: Thanks also. This rifle has always loved the wolf ammo and I would never sell it as it's my first customized 10/22. This baby will be handed down some day.

Here's the measurement:

Awesome deal. I have a Nikon 6-20 Monarch scope I have been debating on getting rings to slap onto the trainer to see how much tighter I can get the groups when I can see the bull.

Only thing that has been stopping me is that I'd have to take off my aperture sights, and that is not an easy task as I have them on there pretty good. Maybe it is time for me to purchase a .22lr for scoped comps. CZ 452 Trainers are on sale at J&R for $339 atm.
Old 06-04-2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:

Here's the measurement:

Thanks. My old eyes measure that as about .4" or .4 MOA. Thats an excellent group for 50yds so @ 100yd its amazing for a .22.
Old 06-04-2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Rear sight is an aperture (peep). It does work exactly as designed - but I really do prefer the old open blades.

Supposedly you look through the peep and focus on the blade and target, not at the peep. That's what I do. So how do you do what you're suggesting other than adjusting the peep blade itself which has no markings for recording 25, 50 and 100 yard zeros?

=8-)
I'm not sure about aperture sights (I don't have any). Maybe sight in 6 o'clock at 100 yards, then hold lower for the other two shorter distances?

Hopefully, someone with way more experience will chime in with a solution.

To rwojnilo: Nice shooting!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 4:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

=8-)
You adjust your elevation with the peep, and if it doesn't have marks for MOA, mil, or whatever, make your own witness marks for approximate distances and just fine tune as necessary between adjustments.

If you understood how sights work(and people were trying to help you with this...) you'd realize that you can make your own markings if none exist already.

If the sights are not adjustable, then you either continue to make due, or get something more appropriate.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:07 PM
CGN Contributor

Rwojnilo - holy cow! that's amazing!

i noticed an immediate improvement on painting the front sight post on my 10/22 today - yesterday's second target was a 160, today's was a 177. based upon scores on prior month's targets and the relative size of the various scoring rings, i feel relatively confident that i should be able to get close to the 220 range for a score on this sheet - just going to take some practice. good thing it's a 3 month match! lots of time for practice.

i'm also happy to announce that i should be able to get in some more range time on the longer range targets, just need to either get another gun to put a scope on, or put a better scope on my son's gun. i was able to come up with a 4th person to allow us to sign up for a corporate membership at the indoor range i frequent now, which saves me enough money to also join the fresno rifle and pistol club range on auberry road, which gives me access to an outdoors range up to 100 yds, plus dingers at 200, 220, and 300 yards. with my membership expiring saturday at the firing line, getting that fourth person to agree to sign up was just in time.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo2x View Post
I'm not sure about aperture sights (I don't have any). Maybe sight in 6 o'clock at 100 yards, then hold lower for the other two shorter distances?

Hopefully, someone with way more experience will chime in with a solution.

To rwojnilo: Nice shooting!!!
Hmm...intriquing idea - work the opposite way. Seems kinda extreme though. Imagine how much I'd have to aim under at 25 though...that would be one "deep six" - he he.

I was planning on marking the peep blade for 25, 50, and 100 zero - but I really didn't want leave permanent markings on the firearm. But maybe now that I'm shooting at the 100 yard target - the issue is being forced either way.

Quite frankly, zeroed at 50, I wasn't expecting last month to hit the 100 yard target at all that we use - but instead got quite a surprise with Eley Target and no reference to work with but open air above the target.

Right now, my setup for 25 and 50 works just fine.

Good news is I have a mini-metal lathe, a drill press, benched wood and metal vises, and plenty of tools. So I guess I'll just have to make sure I do a professional clean job of marking the peep blade just in case someone else ever has to use it.

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah that will be hard to beat but I have 3 months to try
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Hmm...intriquing idea - work the opposite way. Seems kinda extreme though. Imagine how much I'd have to aim under at 25 though...that would be one "deep six" - he he.

I was planning on marking the peep blade for 25, 50, and 100 zero - but I really didn't want leave permanent markings on the firearm. But maybe now that I'm shooting at the 100 yard target - the issue is being forced either way.

Quite frankly, zeroed at 50, I wasn't expecting last month to hit the 100 yard target at all that we use - but instead got quite a surprise with Eley Target and no reference to work with but open air above the target.

Good news is I have a mini-metal lathe, a drill press, benched wood and metal vises, and plenty of tools. So I guess I'll just have to make sure I do a professional clean job of marking the peep blade just in case someone else ever has to use it.

=8-)
I envy your work shop Mr. Rabbit !
Old 06-04-2013, 5:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Now that we've gotten past the nonsense...

Quote:
Onto my original question, the 100 yard scoped target is simply listed as a 100 yard scoped target, but the target itself is 100 yards sit/kneel or 50 standing. Is that 100 yards actually sitting or kneeling for it, or is that part being ignored and it's 100 yards however you want?
Old 06-04-2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Target can be shot from any position, bench rest, standing, or prone. Even from the hood of your truck/car.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:

=8-)
You may find this informative about aperture/peep sights. Doesn't talk to .22lr shooting but the concepts with the type of sights. Aperture/Peep sights can be difficult if they are not the adjustable type (for windage/elevation) as a typical .22lr bullet will drop 6-8 inches out to 100yds when the sights are zeroed @ 50yds. Difficult to hold over that much with fixed sights.

link to article: http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?page_id=502
Old 06-04-2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:

=8-)
I also have a Henry AR7, lots of fun for a camp rifle. I haven't done it to mine yet, but I've seen one with elevation markings added before...
- Set your peep/blade height for a medium distance, lets say 50 yards
- File/Dremel one thin line across the receiver and blade to mark this mid setting
- Remove the blade and file/Dremel two or three evenly spaced lines above and below the mid line... only do this on the blade.
- Fill in all the lines with a white paint or google how to paint rollmarks on a slide, same technic can be used.

Although the lines above and below your mid line are just evenly spaced and not actual MOA or anything, you can quickly figure out that "just above or below this line" is for a 100 yard shot.

The one I saw also had a different screw on the blade, it had a round knurled thumb screw so it was easy to loosen.

Happy shooting!
Old 06-04-2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Whatever way you want
Its just a target I pulled from the interweb

I personally shoot from a bench
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Target can be shot from any position, bench rest, standing, or prone. Even from the hood of your truck/car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
Whatever way you want
Its just a target I pulled from the interweb

I personally shoot from a bench
Thanks. I figured as much, just wanted the clarification since it was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the topic.
Old 06-04-2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
You may find this informative about aperture/peep sights. Doesn't talk to .22lr shooting but the concepts with the type of sights. Aperture/Peep sights can be difficult if they are not the adjustable type (for windage/elevation) as a typical .22lr bullet will drop 6-8 inches out to 100yds when the sights are zeroed @ 50yds. Difficult to hold over that much with fixed sights.

link to article: http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?page_id=502
I agree with that. Kentucky windage with aperture sights in my experience has been a crap shoot.
Old 06-04-2013, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
I envy your work shop Mr. Rabbit !
...sad thing is - once I got the mini metal lathe...I immediately found myself wanting a horizontal mill and vertical mill...

...I don't think my wife will tolerate the expense at 700.00 - 900.00 apiece.

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:
...sad thing is - once I got the mini metal lathe...I immediately found myself wanting a horizontal mill and vertical mill...

...I don't think my wife will tolerate the expense at 700.00 - 900.00 apiece.

=8-)
Possibly go with a milling add on to the mini lathe till you can afford a dedicated vertical mill.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmax View Post
I also have a Henry AR7, lots of fun for a camp rifle. I haven't done it to mine yet, but I've seen one with elevation markings added before...
- Set your peep/blade height for a medium distance, lets say 50 yards
- File/Dremel one thin line across the receiver and blade to mark this mid setting
- Remove the blade and file/Dremel two or three evenly spaced lines above and below the mid line... only do this on the blade.
- Fill in all the lines with a white paint or google how to paint rollmarks on a slide, same technic can be used.

Although the lines above and below your mid line are just evenly spaced and not actual MOA or anything, you can quickly figure out that "just above or below this line" is for a 100 yard shot.

The one I saw also had a different screw on the blade, it had a round knurled thumb screw so it was easy to loosen.

Happy shooting!
"The one I saw also had a different screw on the blade, it had a round knurled thumb screw so it was easy to loosen."

That's an idea I really like...can probably use a allen socketed screw with a ring....

=8-)
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
"The one I saw also had a different screw on the blade, it had a round knurled thumb screw so it was easy to loosen."

That's an idea I really like...can probably use a allen socketed screw with a ring....

=8-)
I think with the tools you have, you can probably easily construct something along the lines of a leaf rear sight to adjust for range.

The CZ 452 Trainer/Lux/Ultralux come with a leaf/tangent sight that I found was superior to most factory sights.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
I think with the tools you have, you can probably easily construct something along the lines of a leaf rear sight to adjust for range.

The CZ 452 Trainer/Lux/Ultralux come with a leaf/tangent sight that I found was superior to most factory sights.

ad

Heh...

I was reading this post...on this larger screened laptop in my garage. And realized that the letters coming out of your Avatar don't spell "P O W E R B A L L" but rather your name.

=8-)
Old 06-05-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
ad

Heh...

I was reading this post...on this larger screened laptop in my garage. And realized that the letters coming out of your Avatar don't spell "P O W E R B A L L" but rather your name.

=8-)
Haha, I am glad someone mentioned something about my avatar. You are the first to ever comment about it! I actually made it specific for this forum. I am a professional photographer/graphic designer/journalist so forum sigs are fairly trivial for me, but it is fun to do.

Old 06-06-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
Ok first off congrats to the May winners
Scoped Rifle
50 yards JoeGSX 178 (damned fine shooting)
100 yards Izzy Score 50 (Nice shootin TEX)

Irons
25 yards RM1911 Score-129
50 yards USMCCHET Score 89
100 yards USMCCHET Score 51

Pistol Iron
15 yards Izzy Score-95

15 yard Pistol Scoped
Please help me who shot this

Pistol Scoped
15 yard
25 yard

Hey Pistol shooters I may have this wrong please double check
Hey guys would it be too much to ask for you to fix this and post the correct scores ??? Thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10xhobby View Post
Hey guys would it be too much to ask for you to fix this and post the correct scores ??? Thanks
Not too much to ask. The scores are being reviewed and will be posted soon. We are a little tied up with reviewing the rules for the matches. Sorry its taking a while. You are not forgotten.
Old 06-10-2013, 3:44 PM

Thumbs up JUNE 2013 MATCH TARGETS

Attachment 240409

Attachment 240410

Attachment 240411

Lazyme and myself went to the indoor Gun Range on Saturday, I was testing the new AR15 I just built. I was very pleased with the results. Also I shot some rimfire match targets, so here they are:

15 YARD PISTOL OFF HAND 100
15 YARD PISTOL BENCH REST 122

25 YARD PISTOL OFFHAND 51
25 YARD PISTOL BENCH REST 54 I was using Lazyme's Charger pistol

25 YARD RIFLE IRONS 209 this was a fun target

Last edited by 10xhobby; 12-06-2013 at 3:16 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10xhobby View Post
Attachment 240409

Attachment 240410

Attachment 240411

Lazyme and myself went to the indoor Gun Range on Saturday, I was testing the new AR15 I just built. I was very pleased with the results. Also I shot some rimfire match targets, so here they are:

15 YARD PISTOL OFF HAND 100
15 YARD PISTOL BENCH REST 122

25 YARD PISTOL OFFHAND 51
25 YARD PISTOL BENCH REST 54 I was using Lazyme's Charger pistol

25 YARD RIFLE IRONS 209 this was a fun target
Great shooting. You need to PM me with instructions on how to shoot a pistola OffHand. I shake like a heroin addict that hasn't had a fix in a week.
Old 06-10-2013, 6:25 PM

Nice job, 10X. Now I know who to beat. It always looks so easy...