Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 05-24-2013, 5:48 PM

Default I called the BLM office

... and spoke to Donna. She said one of the biggest things that help keep pressure off closing BLM land to shooting is Calguns! She told me that the rangers appreciate it and our efforts are definitely noticed.

I'm going out to Steele Peak this weekend for some shooting and I'm bringing a spring rake, manure rake and some lawn-n-leaf bags. I found that my 8-yr-old son focuses on the cleanup if the shooting part is conditional on helping with the cleanup phase, and only if the cleanup comes first.
Old 05-24-2013, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

That's awesome. I must admit that I have only cleaned up my own mess but hearing people put in more work to keep things cleaned I am inspired to throw a rake and trash bags in my jeep when I shoot at BLM land.
Old 05-24-2013, 7:05 PM

Thanks to all that cleanup, i went to the last cleanup and we had a great turnout and cleaned most all that place up on 4-27-13. Im gonna try to make it there this weekend also for a few hours, with my trash bags and rake.
Old 05-24-2013, 7:53 PM

I'm going to cow mountain Blm land in NorCal ...
Guns clean [/]
Ammo. [/]
Rake. [/]
Snow shavel [/]
10 mil bags. [/]

Good to go! It seem that I'm the only one cleaning there ...
Old 05-24-2013, 8:11 PM

I go shooting up in Sly Park all the time. I always take out WAY more that I bring in.
I'd hate to see it happen but I really think the whole area should be closed to shooting since so may others can't be bothered to clean up after themselves and can't help but kill healthy trees.

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.
Old 05-25-2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
I go shooting up in Sly Park all the time. I always take out WAY more that I bring in.
I'd hate to see it happen but I really think the whole area should be closed to shooting since so may others can't be bothered to clean up after themselves and can't help but kill healthy trees.
Agreed.
We went to sly park once last summer. Between the trash and stupidity of shooting trees it really was disappointing to see. That kind of behavior is only going to hurt the pro 2A community. Close it. If the mental midgets amongst us can't get a clue then they can be stuck with paying to rent range time.
On the other hand, a huge hat tip to those who go out and try. Those that take out more than they bring in. Somebody really did a number cleaning the local blm spot I frequent. They had to have taken 10+ pickup loads worth of trash from there. They even had a sign made and posted explaining that blm has made it clear : clean it, or lose it. Some *****le shot the sign...
A huge thanks to whomever you are.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Packed out way more than I brought in, and picked up a ton of brass, too- someone went through about 200 rounds of .357 Sig and left the brass for me. Also got 2 Big Gulp cups worth of new .308 brass. Much appreciated!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsDad View Post
... and spoke to Donna. She said one of the biggest things that help keep pressure off closing BLM land to shooting is Calguns! She told me that the rangers appreciate it and our efforts are definitely noticed.

I'm going out to Steele Peak this weekend for some shooting and I'm bringing a spring rake, manure rake and some lawn-n-leaf bags. I found that my 8-yr-old son focuses on the cleanup if the shooting part is conditional on helping with the cleanup phase, and only if the cleanup comes first.
Donna is a great person, I speak with her fairly often. Jennifer, the BLM clean up coordinator is great too, she is the one I speak with to set up the clean ups.

Last weeks BLM newsletter had a little write up about the last clean up on 4-27, here is the quote from the email I got with a link to the write up. First thing you see when you click the link is the Calguns clean up sign by Eat Dirt.

Quote:
"Steele Peak Reserve Cleanup" (News.bytes Extra)
The Palm Springs-South Coast BLM Field Office, in cooperation with Riverside County Habitat Conservation Agency, Riverside County Waste Management, and members of Calguns.net hosted a volunteer cleanup at Steele Peak Stephen's Kangaroo Rat Reserve. Approximately 65-70 volunteers showed on a recent Saturday to remove garbage, including broken target boards and spent shells, from the hillsides of the reserve.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/new...ele.print.html
Thanks to all the Calguns members that have helped in the past clean ups and to the ones that do their part when they go out there to shoot.

Last edited by chknlyps2; 05-27-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 6:54 AM

Fixed link
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/new...ele.print.html

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Wow. That the gov would actually put some shooters in a positive light is nice. I only shoot at panoche BLM during the fall and spring and we always take our own brass and targets with us. I wish I had a stake side truck I could have hauled out some old tv and air compressor tanks. What's the scrap value of brass ? Ie shells so degraded you wouldn't dare reload
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 PM

A rake and trash bags are always a good idea, for cleaning up the mess that others leave behind.

Lately we have been bringing a huge tarp with us to lay on the ground.

It makes it a lot easier to police your own brass, and also keeps the dirt off your front side when shooting prone.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
Thank You! I fixed my post also.
Old 07-06-2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTluvr View Post
Agreed.
We went to sly park once last summer. Between the trash and stupidity of shooting trees it really was disappointing to see. That kind of behavior is only going to hurt the pro 2A community. Close it. If the mental midgets amongst us can't get a clue then they can be stuck with paying to rent range time.
On the other hand, a huge hat tip to those who go out and try. Those that take out more than they bring in. Somebody really did a number cleaning the local blm spot I frequent. They had to have taken 10+ pickup loads worth of trash from there. They even had a sign made and posted explaining that blm has made it clear : clean it, or lose it. Some *****le shot the sign...
A huge thanks to whomever you are.
i think i shoot in the same area... with the lake to your back i have cleaned everytime i go out there and it seems that there is always a mess the next time i go, but you are right someone else cleaned that place up ALOT, i think alot of it came from the guys i see out there not shooting but picking up all the brass that gets left behind. i deffinatly would lobve getting that whole area spotless though.
Old 07-07-2013, 6:38 PM

I was at BLM's Steele Peak Friday morning...had loaded some 20 GA Remington Gun Clubs and wanted to make sure that the grandson and I could still hit those clay pigeons when we reduced our 7/8's down to 14.5 grains with the 20/28. It wasn't too bad, I shot 4 boxes and then raked and cleaned up the immediate area I was shooting....I do want to thank the
personnel that shot all the Winchester 12's and left those Remington 20 GA STS hulls on the ground. First time I have been at this range and was smiling all the time I was raking and picking up the STS's....couple of young guys shooting next to me....they picked up all their debris and left ahead of me.
If personnel would just pick up what they brought and a little extra, we would never get "Ranger Rick" to get torked at us {shooters}....just wish I knew when the shooters shooting those Remington 20 GA hulls and leaving them on the ground, I sure can use those hulls.
Old 07-07-2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
Wow. That the gov would actually put some shooters in a positive light is nice. I only shoot at panoche BLM during the fall and spring and we always take our own brass and targets with us. I wish I had a stake side truck I could have hauled out some old tv and air compressor tanks. What's the scrap value of brass ? Ie shells so degraded you wouldn't dare reload
you should be able to get about $1.00/lb for yellow brass.