Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-20-2013, 1:28 PM

Default Brand new 10/22 problem

Hi maybe one of you guys out there might be able to help me on this issue. I just picked up my 10/22 rifle on friday and took it shooting this last sunday. When i shot it the round shot but it didnt eject so i cleared it and tried again and had the same troubles. This time it was a little harder to get the spent shell out but i got it out and i noticed a few parts fell out also. I looked them up in my manuel and it looks like its the extractor, extractor plunger & spring. Now my ? is: is this an easy fix or do i have to send it to ruger to get fixed? Im a good trouble shooter and would like to fix it myself and not send it back to ruger. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 05-20-2013, 1:33 PM

I've completely disassembled by 10/22 and put in aftermarket parts its not that hard. Check youtube, I'm pretty sure someone has put up a how to video
Old 05-20-2013, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Sure you could probably put those parts back in yourself but IMO if its a brand new gun and its already falling apart it probably needs a trip to the factory to see what else they did wrong...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 05-20-2013, 1:44 PM

Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking the same thing but i dont want to wait another month or 2 to get it back. Im not sure what the turn around is like at ruger. I plan on tricking this out a bit but really wanted to have some fun with it b4 i do. Thank God i had my marlin 60 with me!! that rifle shoots so darn good the only reason i got the ruger is cause they have so many cool goodies to put on it.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:55 PM

Order the Volquartsen extractor.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Karma for your negative itrader.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely tell Ruger about it ASAP and see what they can do for you. A new gun should not do that. I'm sure Volquartsen extractors are better, but I've never upgraded a stock one yet, and have no issues. With the price of 10/22's these days, Ruger needs to make it right.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
hahahaha
Old 05-20-2013, 3:24 PM

Thank you guys for the helpful info and as for scottschoe & c3rolling GROW UP your stupid remarks need to be kept to yourselfs. I just wanted some help with my 10/22 i didnt need any crap from lonley loosers like you guys!!
Old 05-20-2013, 3:28 PM

Won't last long...
Old 05-20-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRacin24 View Post
Thank you guys for the helpful info and as for scottschoe & c3rolling GROW UP your stupid remarks need to be kept to yourselfs. I just wanted some help with my 10/22 i didnt need any crap from lonley loosers like you guys!!
And I was going to skip this thread, looks like it may be interesting.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:38 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
You are just asking for more negative comments with the above response. Ignore the comments and you will be better off. Just some friendly advice from one who has been there.
Old 05-20-2013, 3:47 PM

I just got a 10/22 Take Down and have nothing put problems with it jamming and not ejecting. Going to get to Volquartsen ejector, and some other upgrades and just do it myself. As others have said, YouTube. I hate sending guns back to the factory. Sorry to hear yours fell apart. Keep us posted and ignore the others.
Old 05-20-2013, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
LMAO somebody had to say it
Old 05-20-2013, 6:14 PM

OP pm'd me some harsh words . I will laugh never again.
Old 05-24-2013, 1:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My 10/22 was shipped with a defective firing pin. It did not strike the bullet properly and caused the failed to fire. I called Ruger and they wanted me to ship it to them on my dime. I am installed a new firing pin myself and paid for it myself. Ruger customer support is nowhere near Hi Point.
Old 05-24-2013, 1:59 PM

Field stripping all parts to the bone on a 10/22 can all be found on you tube. Pretty easy if you know how to follow directions and if youre handy with basic tools. But if you feel like sending it back to Ruger, thats fine too.
Old 05-24-2013, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Charm school graduate, eh?
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 05-25-2013, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wee Dawgies

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 05-25-2013, 4:12 PM

Fix it yourself with better parts if you can afford them.
My last 2 Rugers with problems came back from the factory torn to SH*T.A Red Label I bought new had vise jaw marks deep into the reciever.According to them with apologies they have to sub out some work,when they get busy.Well it went back the same day,with the same problem I sent it for in the first place.It came back the second time working,but with more scratches and gouges.I will respectfully say I own several of their guns as well as other manufacturers.I will not buy another from the Ruger company.
Interesting I have told so many people over the years that a 10-22 is the first gun a person should buy and keep the rest of their life.I still have the one I got when I turned 12 over 40 years ago.Lately at least every other one has gone bad almost immediately.Several with the problem you mentioned.

I tend to buy alot of parts from Midway USA or Brownells.They will have many options for aftermarket things.Like these other guys have said,Volquartsen makes good stuff.
Another outlet is the brand KIDD.Even a seasoned person could go crazy on their website buying 10-22 stuff.My friend just did the KIDD trigger,extractor and bolt in his new one.I shot it the other day and was surprised.I was able to hold groups about nickel sized at 50 yds.His is the tactical barreled model and we used the brick/bulk ammo.We had a inexpensive 3-9 scope on it.

Last edited by Coyotegunner; 05-26-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 7:25 PM

Thanks again for all the help. I took the gun apart with the help of youtube and was able to fix the problem. Where in orange county can i buy some cool aftermarket parts?
Old 05-25-2013, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A Volquartsen extractor is a whole lot better than the one from the factory.

If you're missing the plunger then you need one.

A Gunsmither toolbar will make the job a lot easier but is not a necessity. Personally I think it's $13 well spent.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association