Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-08-2013, 7:12 AM

That's pretty funny. I had the same issue with my boots. How many coats have you applied? What method are you using to shine them? Mine took a while to really start looking good.
BigLL hit the nail on the head, wait until EVOC.
Old 06-08-2013, 8:09 PM

Alright guys, boots showed up a couple days ago and I've stripped them down and put a couple coats of polish on tonight. Already way better than the magnums. The reinforced toe makes a huge difference since they wont flex there and the polish can build up much better. I'll post up pics when I'm done with them.

And again, thanks to everyone for the help. Really appreciate it
Old 06-08-2013, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortified Peasant View Post
CG should make a sticky on one of the better boot polishing threads. Seems to come up a lot.

OP, you dont need to use any heat to get a good polish, no heat guns, no lighters. I've seen a lot of guys use this method and it just seems like a quick fix to me that always flakes or peels off.

Start with a clean boot. If it has a failed polish job on it you will need to strip the boots, I would put them under runnig HOT water and wipe off as much polish as you can with a porous towel.

Once the boot is clean and dry use a soft towel ( I like to use the small cheap baby blankets you can get at Walmart ) take the towel and one or two fingers in it and wrap it around those fingers. Apply a small amount of polish on the towel at your finger tips and rub onto boot in small circular motions. Keep applying small amounds of polish till the boot is covered.

At this point you will have a dull coat of polish on your boots. Now take the same towel and same method with fingers dip into water and continue with small circuler motions. You may need to add small amounts of polish to your prefrence. Continue and you should see a mirror shine start to develope. This process is time consuming, I have spent more than an hour to comple the process, but in the end you have a propper shine.

Another thing you can keep on hand is a kiwi quick shine sponge, you can get them at Walmart. The sponge will add a little extra shine, but I felt it also made the polish were off quicker.

Good luck!
Good tips, but I would add if stripping down to to make certain that shoes have a good dye coat.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 07-09-2013, 7:12 PM

I do the same thing as Stockton explained above. Make sure you've worn the boot and it's creased where it bends. An old cotton T-shirt, wet a small portion and squeeze out as much of the water as you can (a spray water bottle works good), use a little Kiwi at a time and work it in. Most polish should end up on the boot and not the T-shirt. I found that when you put on too much polish too fast, it'll flake later. I showed my son how to polish and nowadays, he does most my boot polishing! LOL
Old 07-09-2013, 7:23 PM

Go pay someone who knows what they're doing, to shine your boots. You're gonna be very busy studying, and too tired when you're not studying. Have them touched up every weekend or so.

The only guys/gals that shined their own Oxfords (My Academy did not allow boots. That's changed now) were the former military types...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstompe View Post
Sweet, thanks for the help. Need boots, no uniform shoes or dress shoes. We start off in long sleeve uniform and have to earn our short sleeve. Napa in the middle of summer will be having me work my *** off to get out of the long sleeve shirt.

Had $40 in eBay credit so ordered up some 5.11 atac's today. Do I need to strip new boots or should the leather be good to polish out of the box?
Lots of good info in here. I am starting with Sac County and we are starting off in our Class A as well. I'm sure we have to earn our short sleeves but we also will be earning our patches. It'll be hot as hell so hopefully we can get out of the long sleeves asap, lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 9:24 PM

I went to Napa, polish your boots yourself. They will ask if you did them or somebody else did them. Remember to do your "front leaning rest" on your soles not your toes. Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstompe View Post
Alright guys, boots showed up a couple days ago and I've stripped them down and put a couple coats of polish on tonight. Already way better than the magnums. The reinforced toe makes a huge difference since they wont flex there and the polish can build up much better. I'll post up pics when I'm done with them.

And again, thanks to everyone for the help. Really appreciate it
I am shopping for boots at the moment and I'm sure it's been posted but what boots did you end up getting? I am looking for something light weight but comfortable.
Old 07-11-2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightShot04 View Post
I am shopping for boots at the moment and I'm sure it's been posted but what boots did you end up getting? I am looking for something light weight but comfortable.
I ended up getting the 5.11 Speed 8" boot. Pretty lightweight and feels pretty comfortable (will be better with insoles). I have seen people say that they are not super durable nor do they shine extremely well, but I will try to make it shine as best I can. Haha.

Some of the 5.11s are pretty comfortable though. I got the ATAC Shield 8", at first, and it was very comfortable but the heel had some extra stitching around it that I think would have made shining the heels a pain.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM

I got the ATAC sheild 8" and I havn't worn them a whole lot yet but they seem really comfortable and I was able to get a pretty good shine on the toes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM
CGN Contributor

man, all this about polishing some boots sounds like a waste of time, "make busy" work. why does it matter if you did the initial polishing or if you paid someone to do it for you?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.