Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-20-2013, 9:35 AM

Default Shining boots for academy

Hey guys,

I start academy at Napa this july and I'm trying to get a mirror shine on my boots early so I don't end up having to spend all day shining the day before academy starts. I've got magnum cobra boots and a kiwi kit. Tried the heat gun (hair drier) trick and they looked pretty good until i flexed them and all of the polish I had just applied flaked off in the crease area. Anyone know any tricks to keep it from flaking off where the boot flexes? Did i just use too much polish?

Help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Dstompe
Old 05-20-2013, 9:51 AM

Parade Gloss Kiwi, soft tshirt or cotton balls, water, heat gun. Just keep working em.

US Army Combat Engineer 03'-08' 1st Cav
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM

It will always dull where it flexes. That isn't a big deal. If your layers are too thick, that's when it will flake.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Flaking is usually attributed to two things.... Fake leather used in the boot and a failure to strip the boot prior to polishing.

These days I am using Lincoln Wax and a heat gun, not a hair drier. If you have a Korea connection, get some Kangaroo Polish and life will be good. Best shining polish on earth.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Boot inserts, Kiwi, water, old cotton shirt. Sit down turn on music or tv. Wet the shirt, use two fingers, swipe the kiwi, rotate fingers counter clockwise. Repeat, repeat, repeat until its as shiny as you want it to be. Good luck with academy!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Find an old fashion shoe shine stand. Many barbershops still have them. Pay to get a good base shine. After that, keeping them shiny is easy. When they get too bad, its back to the shine stand.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 05-20-2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
It will always dull where it flexes. That isn't a big deal. If your layers are too thick, that's when it will flake.
What he said. Get two pairs of boots... something like the rocky side zip parade boot for inspections only.... if you can swing the extra 100 some odd dollars.
Old 05-20-2013, 2:41 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Don't polish so far back that you're polishing the crease!
Old 05-20-2013, 3:42 PM

Go to walmart and buy a pair of silk leggings. cut em up and keep a good square of it in your pocket. A quick rub down after your running around will go a long way. The kiwi sponge is quick fix for those days when someone forgot or whatever, but dont depend on it, it wont beat hard work of a spit shine.

Old 05-20-2013, 4:22 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I'd like to try and avoid buying two sets given that I've already dropped close to 500 bucks on the rest of my uniform, so i just think I'll try and give a lesser polish on the crease portion for now
Old 05-20-2013, 4:24 PM

Also, last time I was in Galls, they had a shoe shine stand....lots of motors boots gleaming....this was at the Anaheim store.
Old 05-20-2013, 7:23 PM

I've got some scratches in the toes from working a summer as a maintenance worker. Am I SOL on getting the toes to look good or can they be sanded with really high grit sand paper?
Old 05-20-2013, 9:08 PM

You're probably going to want a new pair. Find someone who has been through the academy or the military and have them show you how to get a killer spit shine and then practice it yourself. It's really hard to polish over or sand out scratches in the leather. You're going to get jammed up by the DI's no matter what you do, it's just better to give them as little ammo as possible.

I went through the Napa academy about 5 years ago, you need to show up with a true spit shine. Anything less will get you attention you don't want. If you can see color in the reflection off the toes and there's no waves or orange peel, you're doing it right.

Nylons or pantyhose are great for touch ups.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Dont dare go and pay to get your boots done somewhere before the academy. Tell all your mates the same. The Tact staff will ask if you did it yourself, you cant lie, so they will make sure the boots lose that $10 shine you were so proud of. Then you will be expected to have shined boots the next day. The point of the academy is to work hard and not cut corners.

Whats also funny is if your boots are looking like glass, and the guy next to you looks like trash, you will probably get smoked for not helping him with his.

Enjoy!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 2:46 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

You should double check what is acceptable footwear for the academy. Many academies (Including mine) did not allow boots at all. Everyone had to wear black dress shoes while in suits and low quarter black leather uniform shoes when in uniform.

The uniforms were a privilege that had to be earned. We didn't even put them on until the 4th or 5th week I think.
Old 05-21-2013, 2:57 PM

Clean off dust. Moist cotton ball, swipe in kiwi, use nickel sized light pressure swirl motions. At about the fifth time the shine should start. The cotton ball should almost be dry on the last application. Give a breath to fog up the tip and lightly swirl again. Polished.

Still alive, still fight.

Last edited by fal_762x51; 05-21-2013 at 3:29 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Just be like me.... Get memo everyday....

Lincoln, cotton ball, water, and heat gun
Old 05-21-2013, 3:55 PM

Cotton ball soaked in Mop&Glow....
Old 05-21-2013, 4:25 PM

Sweet, thanks for the help. Need boots, no uniform shoes or dress shoes. We start off in long sleeve uniform and have to earn our short sleeve. Napa in the middle of summer will be having me work my *** off to get out of the long sleeve shirt.

Had $40 in eBay credit so ordered up some 5.11 atac's today. Do I need to strip new boots or should the leather be good to polish out of the box?
Old 05-21-2013, 7:04 PM

When I was in Academy (not Napa), we had to wear Rockys. I stripped them down to the bare leather (nerve-wracking on a $160 pair of new boots), then SLOWLY built up layers of polish with a little water, Lincoln polish, and an old white t-shirt. Took a LONG time, but worth it. For maintenence between inspections (daily inspections-bummer!), just a little heat, and a little polish. Worked great for 6 months, and they still look great at work. Also, as said above, DO NOT take your boots in to get them polished. It's considered cheating by some RTO's/Tact Staff. Mop-N-Glo is considered cheating by some RTO's, and eventually looks like hell. Another alternative is to have two pairs of boots-one for beaters that you shine daily, and another pair with a perfect mirror shine with few creases. Make sure your squad/classmates boots look good, and help your class succeed. The point is not to get through alone, but to work as a team and protect your partners/team. Double-check each other before inspection, and be sure to share things that work between each other. It pays off. Best of luck!

Last edited by pretend315; 05-21-2013 at 7:12 PM..
Old 05-21-2013, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretend315 View Post
When I was in Academy (not Napa), we had to wear Rockys. I stripped them down to the bare leather (nerve-wracking on a $160 pair of new boots), then SLOWLY built up layers of polish with a little water, Lincoln polish, and an old white t-shirt. Took a LONG time, but worth it. For maintenence between inspections (daily inspections-bummer!), just a little heat, and a little polish. Worked great for 6 months, and they still look great at work. Also, as said above, DO NOT take your boots in to get them polished. It's considered cheating by some RTO's/Tact Staff. Mop-N-Glo is considered cheating by some RTO's, and eventually looks like hell. Another alternative is to have two pairs of boots-one for beaters that you shine daily, and another pair with a perfect mirror shine with few creases. Make sure your squad/classmates boots look good, and help your class succeed. The point is not to get through alone, but to work as a team and protect your partners/team. Double-check each other before inspection, and be sure to share things that work between each other. It pays off. Best of luck!
You're still wearing your academy boots!?!? Those Rockys are way too heavy, I'm buying you boots for your birthday.
Old 05-22-2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstompe View Post
Sweet, thanks for the help. Need boots, no uniform shoes or dress shoes. We start off in long sleeve uniform and have to earn our short sleeve. Napa in the middle of summer will be having me work my *** off to get out of the long sleeve shirt.

Had $40 in eBay credit so ordered up some 5.11 atac's today. Do I need to strip new boots or should the leather be good to polish out of the box?
Good luck in the academy! I went through Napa back in 04'. Starting off in Class A's in the summer time heat is not fun. Make sure you're that you're squared away uniform wise. The sooner you and your class as a group are squared away, the sooner you'll all be in Class B's. Remember that it has to be the entire group. You all have to shine, or its Class A's for a very long time.

IMHO, you should strip all new boots before polishing. It gives you a good clean leather base to work with. I would break the boots in for a week prior to stripping (can't stress that enough), then apply your polish. I use Kiwi Parade Gloss, water, cotton balls, and a heat gun. The more you practice prior to the start of your academy class, the better your boots will look.
Old 05-23-2013, 7:23 PM

@Invisible Dave-hahahaha. Good times, huh?
Old 05-24-2013, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstompe View Post

I wear A.T.A.C. boots daily.... they shine like crap. It's a synthetic boot that does not hold polish well. They are comfortable as a sneaker though. Again I'll say on this boot, heatgun, Lincoln polish and after a while of buildup, you can basically hit it with the heatgun, 10 min with a horsehair brush and your boots will be good to go.
Old 05-24-2013, 6:27 AM

I just bought some underarmor boots, lightest boots ive ever owned. I just wish they were water proof.

Our academy we couldnt have boots with toe caps. So they made you shine the entire boot.

Old 05-24-2013, 7:37 AM

Everything I've read has said the atacs are full grain leather. They've got a composite toe also so I figured that would keep any creases from forming on the toe and flaking off my shine.
Old 05-24-2013, 8:20 AM

Does say full grain on the website. Also says it holds a great shine....Not!

The toe box and sides are way too thin and flex by touch once broken in. I'm not convinced that there isn't a synthetic outer layer on the boots. They don't strip well and getting polish to hold on them is slightly better than mixing oil and water.

I do love wearing them though. What I am currently wearing: http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...-Zip-Boot.html
Old 05-24-2013, 9:48 AM

Yeah that's the one I got except mine have a reinforced toe, so they shouldn't flex there and flake off the polish.

Here they are: http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ASTM-Boot.html

Called in to the academy and the guy on the phone said just heel and toe need to be super shiny, so I'll probably just hit the sides and uppers with a coat or two and focus my main effort on getting the toe and heel to mirror shine.
Old 05-24-2013, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

First day of academy... you do not have to worry about having super clean and shinning boots because you will be spending your time in DIRT LOL..... good times, good times...

Just remember this... happy place and happy place when you are pushing in the dirt.

Also, carry extra rag in your pocket... it will come handy..

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 05-24-2013 at 9:56 AM..
Old 05-24-2013, 9:57 AM

You need to strip them before you shine them, that is probably why it all flaked off. Shaving cream and a stiff-bristled brush works to strip them. Once they are stripped and dried, get a good shine on them and put a very thin coat of Mop&Glow on them to make them really shine.
To get a good shine, you need to use heat on the first few coats to get it into the leather, then just a bunch of thin coats using cold water.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Lincoln wax, heat gun, 75/25 water/ alcohol, cotton balls or old t shirt.

all these new style boots don't really shine well. I wore my BCT boots and Corcrans to the Academy. I will reiterate what has already been said above that you need to strip all the manufacture crap off the boots.

heat the boot to open up the leather, light heat on the wax. you need to really work in that base or your boots will never really shine. Each layer of wax should be lighter than the previous layer. Now once you think that your boots are super shiny, take a cotton ball and run a coat of mop'n glow over the area. Mop'n glow is not for shinning your boot but for putting a nice protective layer over the finish.

Do not use edge dressing or any of those stupid touch up bottles. That stuff always looks fake and seems to harm leather.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Go around the corner and pay a kid a nickle to shine em up for you.... oh wait this is 2013.. we don't condone to child slave labor
Old 05-24-2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaliente View Post
Dont dare go and pay to get your boots done somewhere before the academy. Tell all your mates the same. The Tact staff will ask if you did it yourself, you cant lie, so they will make sure the boots lose that $10 shine you were so proud of. Then you will be expected to have shined boots the next day. The point of the academy is to work hard and not cut corners.

Whats also funny is if your boots are looking like glass, and the guy next to you looks like trash, you will probably get smoked for not helping him with his.

Enjoy!!!!
not my experience at all.

we wore our uniforms to class, not PT or anything active....running shoes and BDU's were the norm for active wear.
Old 05-26-2013, 7:37 PM

USCG Chief located in Rohnert Park. If you need help, let me know and we'll link up. Ill SHOW you how rather than explain.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:43 PM

That's how I learned...Well done Chief!
Old 05-27-2013, 2:11 AM

Fig and Olympic in Downton Los Angeles @ the car wash n/w corner ask for Oscar...awesome mirror shine for $6
Old 05-27-2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
Lincoln wax, heat gun, 75/25 water/ alcohol, cotton balls or old t shirt.

all these new style boots don't really shine well. I wore my BCT boots and Corcrans to the Academy. I will reiterate what has already been said above that you need to strip all the manufacture crap off the boots.

heat the boot to open up the leather, light heat on the wax. you need to really work in that base or your boots will never really shine. Each layer of wax should be lighter than the previous layer. Now once you think that your boots are super shiny, take a cotton ball and run a coat of mop'n glow over the area. Mop'n glow is not for shinning your boot but for putting a nice protective layer over the finish.

Do not use edge dressing or any of those stupid touch up bottles. That stuff always looks fake and seems to harm leather.
My academy was in 1980, but above sounds similar to what I used to do.

Clean off the leather and then wipe with alcohol. Let dry completely. Use Lincoln wax (the best there is). Apply liberally. Use a wooden match and lightly go over the entire surface covered in polish. Use a 100% cotton t-shirt (not the one you'll be wearing later). Dip in water and buff in a circular pattern. Repeat several times and a nicley mirrored shine will develope that was resistant to cracks and creases (at least for me). Get an extra pair of shoes and do the same thing. Have one pair for morning inspection and another to change into for drills.
Old 05-28-2013, 7:22 AM

First of all, good luck in the Academy!

When I went through my academy, a buddy of mine couldn't get his boots to shine very well. He actually finally broke down and took them to a shoe shop to get them done, I dropped mine off as well. When we came back a few days later my boots looked great! My buddies, not so much. The shop actually gave him back his shoes and didn't charge him for the work as even they couldn't get a good enough shine on them. He only got jammed up once in the academy for his boots, and after a brief explanation of everthing he tried to get shined, the Sgt dropped the issue.
I hope you don't have one of these difficult pairs of boots as my buddy did.

C2
Old 05-28-2013, 9:30 AM

5.11's are awful boots for the academy. They are great for when you're workin, but terrible for the academy! I initially got a pair o 5.11's and after seeing how the "shine" didnt show up-no matter how I tried, I got a pair of Danners.

Advice? Return them and get a pair of full leather REAL leather boots that can be shined. You are going to get drilled in the academy daily, dont give them ammo to "notice" you.
Old 06-07-2013, 6:51 AM

just wait until you go into motors and got to shine those boots!