Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-09-2013, 4:55 PM

Default Anyone have experience with the POSP scopes ?

Contemplating either a scout scope or maybe one of the Russian POSP scopes for my AR SPR/DMR build. I see the POSP type scopes are available for std rails now.. But are they able to #1 hold zero #2 durable #3 repeatable ?
Old 05-11-2013, 5:42 AM

Eh, I have a bit of experience with them, a couple of years ago I tinkered with a PSL trying to make the most out of it, I wound up ordering a POSP 4-12 illuminated scope off of kalinka optics to replace the standard one that came with the PSL. For both of the scopes-

The good. -it was cheap, sort of, the illumination reticle was cool and was powered by some cheap watch batteries.
The bad - it was cheap and outdated tech. When I had it up to 12X it still looked worse than my 3-9 leaupold mark AR cranked up to 9X, you're using 1970's commie tech, and you'll know it.
The ugly. - Really wont matter much because you're AR will probably be well put together but if you are using it on an AK that isnt completely "straight" as in barrel cant, you may have to shim the scope, which I did. I used makeshift shims and locktite.

All in all, they are pretty durable for their price, the stock POSP scope wasnt too bad, I just think really you're better off going with some better more up to date optics, I think that for a little more you could get something that is specifically designed for the platform you are running. The only reason I could see using a POSP nowadays would be to have a matching rusky platform, like using a KOBRA instead of an Aimpoint.

To answer your question, I would say that more than likely unless you get a lemon that it will hold zero and will be repeatable. There are definitely better options out there for an AR though.
Old 05-11-2013, 6:54 AM

Thanks Justin... maybe the Nikon or Burris .223 lower power scopes would be the better way to go. Nothing worse than a bad scope to ruin your day out. I've spent quite a bit on an SPR type upper ... I really like the idea of the scout scope . Think maybe I'll look closer at the more popular brands.
Old 05-11-2013, 7:07 AM

POSP scopes are great. All the performance of expensive glass, half the cost. Kinda odd for an AR but, it's your rifle. Just know the holdover marks are for russian rds. Either 7.62x39 or 7.62x54.

Here is my POSP 4x24 @ 200 yds. 7.62x39 out of one of my Arsenals. Thats 1" tape.
This rifle and optic = sub MOA AK!

Attachment 231811

Nasty Nate

Last edited by NastyNate; 08-20-2014 at 7:00 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
POSP scopes are great. All the performance of expensive glass, half the cost. Kinda odd for an AR but, it's your rifle. Just know the holdover marks are for russian rds. Either 7.62x39 or 7.62x54.

Here is my POSP 4x24 @ 200 yds. 7.62x39 out of one of my Arsenals. Thats 1" tape.
This rifle and optic = sub MOA AK!

Attachment 231811

Nasty Nate
Nate, nice! I would be looking at the lower power scopes and do prefer a fixed power scope. As for the reticle, doing some math ahead of time will make any hold over reticle work. I'm just concerned that the POSP may not be most important .. repeatable or return to zero or fail to hold zero. I think they have 4x 6x and 8x with the weaver type mounts now. I'm still in the info gathering mode.. dont really want to rush into anything. yea huh.. a posp on an AR heresy almost!
Old 05-11-2013, 2:59 PM

I havent had any issues with RTZ and I use the AK mount. I would think that using a pic rail would be even more dependable.

I guess a POSP on an AR would be no different than an AK w an ACOG.

Nasty Nate
Old 05-12-2013, 9:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_..._p/pa6xrbd.htm

Dimitri