Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-07-2013, 9:50 AM

Default Lake fishing from a canoe

I've always been a stream fisherman and very, very rarely do I come home empty handed. Buuuuuuut........If you've read any of my canoe trip blog posts http://thedamntrueexperiment.blogspo...label/Canoeing you'll note that with the exception of my trip to McCloud I've done pretty poorly with regard to fishing on these trips.

What I've been doing is slowly trolling a kastmaster or rapala (minnow pattern) in a zig-zag pattern along the bank. I'll get as close as 10' to the bank and as far out as 1/2 way across the lake arm then repeat on the other side. Thinking that the zig-zag provides a variation in speed of the lure and usually ensures that the lure is not directly in my wake so the canoe has not passed over the same spot as the lure...thinking this is less likely to spook the fish.

I've also tried a drop weight with a leader off of it and a lure behind it trolling slowly in deeper water.

Very little luck with either technique.

So asking for some advice. What am I doing wrong here?
Old 05-07-2013, 2:52 PM

never really been a fan of lake fishing, and i pretty much hate trolling. big fish can be had, but its boring to me and i feel like it takes alot of sport out of it. i dont mind to much the type of trolling you described, but like you, i never had much luck with that. to really properly troll you need down riggers and all these gadgets and gizmos that i dont like. i think your technique was fine, and kastmasters and rapalas are a good choice. just a matter of luck i guess. but like you im a stream fisher. give me a small stream and a panther martin and il bring back a pile of german browns, maby brook or cuthroat if im towards tahoe more

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 05-07-2013, 3:44 PM

I've fish'd a lot with a canoe... My set-up was a Coleman Scanoe that i actually row'd... I put a swivel bass boat type seat in the bottom/center between the cross members and some oar locks. Facing backwards and rowing kept it moving quickly and straight with little effort. Perfect for trolling. The boat was perfectly balanced.... Now, the best lures i used were Panther Martins or Rooster Tails.. Black Roosters being the better of the two... I would cast out and let the line drop for about a minute sometimes, then start to row at a pace that got the pole tip to vibrate.... It wasn't long 'til it was fish on.... I've pulled more rainbows out of Kinney Res than anywhere else, but had good success at most of the lakes up 88 or 4.... Just before dusk or early light was optimum...... Also was less windy at those hours.... Hope this helps......

Last edited by D.carden; 05-07-2013 at 4:02 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 4:36 AM

Hey, which lakes are you fishing and what fish are you targeting? I fish mostly out of kayaks targeting both trout and bass and there's really no easier way to catch fish than off a kayak/canoe.

First off, no matter where you are, you need to know the depth of where you're trolling. Early morning and late evening you'll want to troll shallow diving lures, such as the rapala jointed lures. Rainbow or firetiger are by far the best producers of all the colors. And jointed lures will produce more fish than non-jointed. More action = more bites.

If you want to catch bass, you need to be within a couple feet of the bottom, so knowing the depth is key. Again, jointed lures are best, especially the rapala jointed shad rap. The shad rap will catch both trout and bass and works well at any lake.

If you are only targeting trout, I suggest trolling the first couple hours and last couple hours of the day. The rest of the time I have a system that works really well. I'll target points and especially large piles of boulders in any lake, and I'll drop one line straight down beneath the kayak/canoe with a jig or spoon or anything that looks good without much movement. With a second rod I'll cast right at the shore and reel in back to the kayak/canoe trying to keep my lure close to the bottom. Usually at least once every half hour the rod that just has a lure beneath the kayak will suddenly bend and FISH ON. It's like a nice little bonus.

As far as lure choice, rooster tails are proven killers. Kastmasters on the other hand, and this is just my opinion, will catch fish and are sometimes useful for long casts when searching, but overall they are pretty much useless and don't get anywhere near as many bites as a ton of other options out there. And when you do get a bite, more often than not you won't hook up. For trolling, I do not like rooster tails for the simple reason that when you slow down they drop, so you never know what depth they are running at, and if you slow down they'll hit bottom and foul up, and the key to catching alot of fish is consistency and knowing what you did right when you do hook up so that you could repeat it. I would suggest stocking up on slim jointed rapalas in both shallow and deep diver versions for trolling, rooster tails/marabou jigs for casting, and powerbait for when nothing else works lol.

For trolling, there really is no need to go in a zig zag on a kayak/canoe. Although useful in a boat with a trolling motor, because you are paddling, you are constantly slowing down and speeding up with little bursts when you paddle. And in my experience fish are definitely not spooked from the passage of a quiet kayak/canoe. When I troll for bass I troll the lures about 75 feet behind. For trout I do about 150 because trout are alot more cautious.

Anyway those are some dis-organized thoughts of mine for whatever they're worth.

If you'd like to be added to the PM list for when new knives become available for sale on Calguns, please PM me with a request.
Old 05-08-2013, 5:07 AM
Veteran Member

If you are going for trout, try trolling a crawler behind a dodger. When all else fails, this will succeed. Set it back 125 feet and troll SLOW.
Old 05-08-2013, 5:14 AM

Also be careful and don't let your AR fall in the lake just yet!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-n-Shoot View Post
Hey, which lakes are you fishing and what fish are you targeting? I fish mostly out of kayaks targeting both trout and bass and there's really no easier way to catch fish than off a kayak/canoe.
Hell Hole, McCloud, Loon (Ive been to Utica but there's no trout there, too warm/shallow) this weekend I'll either be going to Iron Canyon http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mo...=h&mra=ls&z=14
or Upper Bear River Reservoir https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.5...ent=jsapi&z=15.
The only one I've had any luck at was McCloud. I'm interested in trout.

Quote:
First off, no matter where you are, you need to know the depth of where you're trolling. Early morning and late evening you'll want to troll shallow diving lures, such as the rapala jointed lures. Rainbow or firetiger are by far the best producers of all the colors. And jointed lures will produce more fish than non-jointed. More action = more bites.
Been doing that

Quote:
If you want to catch bass, you need to be within a couple feet of the bottom, so knowing the depth is key. Again, jointed lures are best, especially the rapala jointed shad rap. The shad rap will catch both trout and bass and works well at any lake.

If you are only targeting trout, I suggest trolling the first couple hours and last couple hours of the day. The rest of the time I have a system that works really well. I'll target points and especially large piles of boulders in any lake, and I'll drop one line straight down beneath the kayak/canoe with a jig or spoon or anything that looks good without much movement. With a second rod I'll cast right at the shore and reel in back to the kayak/canoe trying to keep my lure close to the bottom. Usually at least once every half hour the rod that just has a lure beneath the kayak will suddenly bend and FISH ON. It's like a nice little bonus.
Interesting. I'll give that a try. Ive been trolling as described early/late then fishing the inlets where streams enter the lake mid-day. Caught a few there, but as described, very few with the trolling.

Quote:
As far as lure choice, rooster tails are proven killers. Kastmasters on the other hand, and this is just my opinion, will catch fish and are sometimes useful for long casts when searching, but overall they are pretty much useless and don't get anywhere near as many bites as a ton of other options out there. And when you do get a bite, more often than not you won't hook up. For trolling, I do not like rooster tails for the simple reason that when you slow down they drop, so you never know what depth they are running at, and if you slow down they'll hit bottom and foul up, and the key to catching alot of fish is consistency and knowing what you did right when you do hook up so that you could repeat it. I would suggest stocking up on slim jointed rapalas in both shallow and deep diver versions for trolling, rooster tails/marabou jigs for casting, and powerbait for when nothing else works lol.
I have the above in stock. I've seen a number of references online to a thing called a "Cripple-lure" that is popular at Shasta/McCloud/Trinity. I picked up a few, have you tried them? Any good elsewhere?

Quote:
For trolling, there really is no need to go in a zig zag on a kayak/canoe. Although useful in a boat with a trolling motor, because you are paddling, you are constantly slowing down and speeding up with little bursts when you paddle. And in my experience fish are definitely not spooked from the passage of a quiet kayak/canoe. When I troll for bass I troll the lures about 75 feet behind. For trout I do about 150 because trout are alot more cautious.
This may be a big part of what I've been doing wrong. I'm pretty sure Ive been trolling at a distance shorter than 150'.

Quote:
Anyway those are some dis-organized thoughts of mine for whatever they're worth.
It's good stuff. Thank you!

Last edited by Damn True; 05-08-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.carden View Post
I've fish'd a lot with a canoe... My set-up was a Coleman Scanoe that i actually row'd... I put a swivel bass boat type seat in the bottom/center between the cross members and some oar locks. Facing backwards and rowing kept it moving quickly and straight with little effort. Perfect for trolling. The boat was perfectly balanced.... Now, the best lures i used were Panther Martins or Rooster Tails.. Black Roosters being the better of the two... I would cast out and let the line drop for about a minute sometimes, then start to row at a pace that got the pole tip to vibrate.... It wasn't long 'til it was fish on.... I've pulled more rainbows out of Kinney Res than anywhere else, but had good success at most of the lakes up 88 or 4.... Just before dusk or early light was optimum...... Also was less windy at those hours.... Hope this helps......
I might be up at Upper Bear River Reservoir this weekend...which is off of 88. Either that or Iron Canyon up near Burney. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f100rat View Post
Also be careful and don't let your AR fall in the lake just yet!!!!

LOL....I'm an M1A guy....but good advice just the same.