Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 AM
CGN Contributor

I bought my first handgun there as a PPT. The salesperson was very helpful and patient. He didn't mind doing a PPT. I was nervous for several reasons, 1 st handgun purchase, just met the seller for the first time there, exchanging of money between private parties. I had never done this before. The salesperson even made sure I understood the gun check procedure before it was documented on their in house cameras. It's like any gun store, your mileage may vary. Mine was a good experience.
Old 06-13-2014, 7:41 PM
Spammer Hammer
CGN Contributor
Default MBR is OK by me

I have bought one gun and a good amount of gear/ammo at MBR.

My only significant gripe is they do not have a "take a number" system or a signup sheet to be treated in turn.

I almost did not buy my M&P 9 because another guy got to the clerk before me, causing me to wait another 20 minutes since I should have been ahead of him, but that DOJ date is coming up fast.

Once served, everything went fine.
Old 06-13-2014, 8:49 PM

So is the FFL forum really for bashing a shop lol?
NRA Certified Instructor.
Sig Certified Handgun / Active Shooter Instructor.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 08-19-2014, 1:34 PM
Default M.B. Retting is my gun store

My experience using M.B. Retting has always been positive. It's a great gun store.

Many who've posted here in this thread have detailed in stereotypical form who it is that walks through their door on any given day. Firearms are a sober business. Know it, and act accordingly. Be willing to listen, willing to learn. Everyday.

Thanks to Tanner68 for the new sig.

- Chris :-)
"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain, if, after a while, the law follows his example." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Old 09-01-2014, 9:05 AM

Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
Having run my own company I have some insight into what an unhappy customer will perceive as rude and unprofessional. Basically, anything short of them not getting their way.

I have listened in on customer calls, from the very beginning of a call. The employee was polite, empathetic, yet non wavering. When the customer would ask to speak to a manager, I'd wait 10 seconds or so then "get on the line". In most cases whatever came out of the customers mouth next would be a flat out lie. Your staff said this, he told me that, he called me this...Just pure crap.

I'd bet you're perspective is skewed because you walked out of there without getting what you wanted. Could they be wrong, possibly, not even related to the point I'm making. Were they rude, no respect, and sh***y attitude like you imply? Not likely.

Grow up kid....
Sorry to gin up an old thread, but I just made my second Kahr purchase from them within a few months. Nothing but professionalism and politeness. Far more helpful and knowledgeable than the next closet dealer, Turner's Outdoorsmen, where the kids behind the counter know nothing about small arms. I really don't think it appropriate to diss a business just because they don't agree with you and therefore didn't give you what you want. They are very close to my home and I will continue to support them without hesitation.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Plus like was mentioned, it sounds like they saved your brother from possibly losing his firearm when it had to be turned over to the police if the buyer failed background.
Wouldn't have been his gun anymore. He sold it. If the buyer doesn't pass DROS it's not the sellers problem.
Just upgraded to help beat Hillary.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM

I never had a problem with them in the 30+ years I've been buying from them. MBR has always delivered good service whether I buy or not.

I can't say the same for the Turners shop in Reseda. That one has gotten worse every time I decide to give them another chance. Thankfully there are plenty of alternatives to them, including other Turners shops.
USMC 1985-93 0331/32 & 0341
NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA & SASS Life Member
American Legion Member

"Every tyrant in history has known you can't control an armed population. That is why Hitler, Stalin and Mao were strongly against an armed citizenry, while George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were for it." - B. Wentzel, AZ.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM

I have been shopping there for four decades and I have bought and sold countless number of guns from them. They are a high volume gun store that interprets the rules conservatively. That is why they are still in business after 70 years. DOJ and ATF are just looking for a reason to shut you down or fine you, and you really have to cross all your "Ts" and dot all of your "Is". I know of at least two gun stores that where shut down by sloppy record keeping and not following the rules to a T. The owners were great people but they were closed and fined. Why cannot afford for more stores to close due to gotcha attitude from ATF.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Originally Posted by xbimmers View Post
I have had nothing but excellent service at Martin B Redding.
It's Retting, but same here.
Sorry, OP, you should have called ahead or checked the law before making the drive.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Not directed to anyone, but I'd like to just chime in real quick about working retail; especially in things that are complex. Throw in all of the BS laws gun stores need to abide, I understand when an associate isn't overjoyed to explain the same crap hundreds of times a day. Usually to someone that isn't going to buy anything, so it gets frustrating.

My 20 or so visits to MBR, an always very extremely busy MBR, has never been, or overhearing of anything condescending. As a new handgun purchaser I was given some slightly wrong or missing information about SSE, but they choose not to deal with SSE so the knowledge was my responsibility really.

I could go on and on about the woes of working retail, but take a step back and look at the situation again. Is it condescending or rude for anyone to tell you something you don't want to hear?
Old 09-05-2014, 7:38 PM

If the gun was so old you shouldnt have even bothered doing paper work. it did not need to be registered. If you insisted though then you have to follow the rules: age 21 for handgun, 18 for longgun. Is what it is.
Using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 AM
CGN Contributor

When in doubt, protect your business. Why risk problems for a PPT you make no money on for some kid that isn't even 21? WTF? They would have to be stupid to have done that transfer.

Last edited by hunterb; 10-06-2014 at 9:10 PM..