Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-21-2013, 8:11 PM

Default bitterwater outfitters

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. My experience two weekends ago with BITTERWATER OUTFITTERS prompted me to actually create a profile and write about "my thoughts".

A little about me. I grew in the urban jungle of OC. Not a natural boy scout or backwoods guru. Spent some time in the Army, several deployments- combat arms. Anyways, I have only been hunting for about 3 years now. All public lands- not much luck with large mammals ( never can find them). Only been successful at quail, duck, and rabbit.

So two weekends ago. I took plunge and contacted BITTERWATER. OUTFITTERS (BWO). Owned by some dude named Clayton. He was very professional via email and had some great reviews on the net. Anyways, I booked a EURASIAN HOG hunt.

The Ranch (HQ)
1.Nice lil spot, with a decent cleaning station and a sick *** range up to ( 400yards). Location is off of HWY 46 ( bitterwater rd). Scenary at the ranch rustic and spartan.

The guides
1.Here is my real issue. None of these guys were A holes or first class jerks- but 2 of the young ones . They were hmm let's same second class jerks.. if that makes any sense?

2.He gave off a "hey keep quiet, follow my lead, don't talk- I dont like people vibe". Not friendly, laid back or hospitable.

3.The owner Clayton, seemed aloof and preoccupied. He introduced himself and I saw him again after I paid for the hunt.

The Hunt
Ok, so again. This is my first paid hunt- I have ZERO frame of reference. So I showed motivated, ready to learn, with a big smile on my face. The plan was I would show up friday night, zero my weapon, camp at the ranch, and wake up SAT morning, and head out around 0630hrs.
So I show up Friday around 1845 hrs. The guide was like- hey man, your late!!! let's go, we got 2.5 hrs of daylight left. I was like, "umm, hey, hi, I am (insert name) dude relax, I need to zero my ****, and set up tent, and stuff before dark". he was like NO lets go! I thought Ok, let's do this. A lil pissed about being rushed. But I adpated, put my gear on, and without confirming my zero took my rifle with me. We drive 10 minutes to another ENCLOSED AREA. He unloads the gator, and we are off. So listen guys " I am hyped up" I am not a rich guy. I paid some serious$$, took time away from my wife and kids, drive 3.5 hrs. So despite being rushed into this FRIDAY night evening hunt, I am still smiling and motivated. The guide, was stone cold- ZERO personality.

Anyhow, we enter the gates.. about 5 minutes of driving. We spot a heard of HOGS. Me ( a lil disappointed- it only took 5 minutes) but I am still kinda pumped. We get out, the animals look at us, and keep eating grass ( distance 300yards). We move up about 150yards. I take the shot-I miss!!! no kidding me. New scope, no zero. The guide looks all pissed, then says, looks like we gota come out here again, with a snide tone. I am like, I thought this was a 2.5 day hunt. he replies "only if you suck".

Anyways, we head to camp. I set my tent up. BBQ a hotdog, and hit the rack.

Day2:
Wakeup sat morning, 0530 hrs, head to the range 0600. Took 9 shots to zero my rifle at 200yards. No issues.

Drive 10 minutes. to the area. Get the gator. Drive another 7 minutes or so. Spot another heard. We dismount. My guide also was all "aggro", and like... and yelling in my ear... shoot man..shoot!! I am like relax dude. Let me enjoy this and take it all in. He looks annoyed. I settle in. range out about 250 yards. The hogs do not seem bothered by all the noise the GATOR made or my guide. I get in the prone. 1 shot one 1 kill.

We head to camp. They clean and gut. I pay. I leave.

Now, fellas- help me out here please. Is the above the typically "out fitter" experience? If so, not very challenging, not very sportsman like. I mean, we were loud and these hogs, didnt bother, ohh and I after I shot. The others just lingered around moved about 75 yards and were just looking, as we snatched up there compadre. I dunno guys, I am a little disappointed. I thought it would be more challenging. I thought the outfitter would also be more professional and hospitable.

Note- I also spotted sheep, and some large ostrich like birds. None of the animals paid us much attention as we drove by.

I feel, cheated by this experience. I dunno, do I try them again? Maybe use a bow? Ask for a different guide? Or is this the norm? If not, can someone recommened me a first class outfitter- that treats their guests with respect and has a more challenging hunt.

Cheers!

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-16-2013 at 8:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-2013, 8:48 PM
CGSSA Associate

Well some guided or not guided hunts are just that quick and some take forever to get a shot you just never know.

Now as to the guides most are a little more friendly and will take their time with you to show you the ropes.

I real don't like doing the guided hunts prefer to do it myself but I've had some guided hunts that were just like hunting with your buds you need to shop around and tell them what you want.

Try Tejon's WPMH you'll earn your pig. Theirs also BBS on here who has a good rep.

Hey at least you came home with so meat it could of been worse!

Last edited by MJB; 04-22-2013 at 5:09 AM..
Old 04-21-2013, 8:56 PM

I have a similar experience when my friends took me to a fenced ranched in riverside. The guides are rushing us to shoot and "domesticated pigs" wont run even if your stone throw away! I didnt shoot because its not a fairchase hunt.
I've been hunting in Californias public land for almost 8 years now with 0% success rate but I enjoy every moment of it. Missed a shot of a black bear in A zone and choose not to shoot a small fork mule deer in D17 thats the closet i have in CA. But at least this is how hunting should be. Fair, challenging and ethical.
Do some research on Colorado or Utah. I hunt both state and been succesful on 3 out of 4 hunt. Goodluck and keep on hunting safe!
Old 04-21-2013, 9:18 PM

IRONMAN!

You sounds like my type of hunter/sportsman. It's all about the "challenge" and the "experience". I agree with you. I rather go to public lands, not get ****, and come out feeling good. Honestly, I killed a 200lb HOG, but I paid for it, didnt work it, and now I don;t feel so good about it. Well at least, I got some ORGANIC meat in my fridge!

I will look into out of state- but that will cost and arm and a leg. I am a "poor man" hunter, I am not cheap- I just have a two small kids, so I my hunting budget is limited. For now, I can only drive about 5hrs, not miss more than 2 days of work. So I am limited to public lands from San Diego Co to Monterey Co.

I can budget about 2 maybe 3 guided hunts a year. But not sure I want to go that route again.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 04-22-2013, 6:35 AM

Try Tejon like MJB said. I went on a semi guided pig hunt there about 2 months ago. The cool thing about the semi guided hunt was the guides pointed us in the right direction and let us hunt by ourselves. By the end of the second day we hadnt shot anything so they went out with us to make sure we did'nt go home empty handed.

I felt like the guides were good friends of mine at the end of the hunt. They cooked our meals, ate with us, told stories with us, real good dudes.

After everything they did to help us, I still did not get a pig but we got invited back at a discounted rate. Just so you know, we did't hunt from our vehicles either. We hiked our butts off, and the one guy with us that did get a pig worked hard for it. I am definetly going back soon.

Paul

"Isn't it amazing that almost everyone has an opinion to offer about the Bible, and yet so few have studied it."
R.C. Sproul
Old 04-22-2013, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbirdog View Post
Try Tejon like MJB said. I went on a semi guided pig hunt there about 2 months ago. The cool thing about the semi guided hunt was the guides pointed us in the right direction and let us hunt by ourselves. By the end of the second day we hadnt shot anything so they went out with us to make sure we did'nt go home empty handed.

I felt like the guides were good friends of mine at the end of the hunt. They cooked our meals, ate with us, told stories with us, real good dudes.

After everything they did to help us, I still did not get a pig but we got invited back at a discounted rate. Just so you know, we did't hunt from our vehicles either. We hiked our butts off, and the one guy with us that did get a pig worked hard for it. I am definetly going back soon.

Paul

That sounds more like it! I am going to check them out

Old 04-22-2013, 7:51 AM

Send a PM to bigboarstopper

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How much was hunt? Do you know guides last name? Not Matt Villa I hope.
Old 04-22-2013, 1:51 PM

I forgot to mention this part- after talking to some other hunters, really 2 other people. Who were also there- both were not impressed, One guy said he would try them again, but only because it is close to his house. The other guy from Thousand Oaks- said "not impressed, not coming back".

I don't mean to talk **** about these guys. I just wrote down my own experience and thoughts.

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-12-2013 at 4:10 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Send a PM to bigboarstopper
Will do! Thanks

Old 04-22-2013, 3:00 PM
CGN Contributor

I consider a guided hunt just like I consider doing other business. It has to be a pleasant experience and worth the time and money. The owner, if he cared about his business and had pride of ownership would hire and educate his people to be courteous, friendly and help their clients with whatever they may need be it help with gear to natural characteristics of the area.. I do not let others run the call if it doesn't make sense. In other words, if you were not zeroed in, your guide should have taken you to the range and help spot for you to zero in your gear, first.

I live not far from this area on a smaller ranch. I just bought 36 areas in AZ surrounded by BLM and State land. Go get some freedom if you can and hunt with a friend if possible. Also, on this forum, Dick from Dick’s Shootin’ Irons helps guide in New Mexico once a year and he is as friendly and experienced as you will ever find.
Old 04-23-2013, 8:27 AM

Thanks JACK.

Old 04-23-2013, 9:31 AM

Most guides prefer to get you on a pig quickly. They're gonna get $700 whether it takes you 1 hr or 2 days to down a hog. The faster you harvest your pig the less fuel cost and the more time they have to do their other ranch jobs.

I have not been in a situation like you where I felt hurried to get a pig, but did get a sense they wanted you to shoot a pig as soon as possible. As what others stated there are so many guides you gotta find one that you like and keep going back.

The guide that I go to was recommended by a friend. When I asked him why that guide he said "He doesnt like to run up and down hills like a billy goat since he has a bad back, so he gets on the pigs and we get really close in the jeep without spooking them get off and shoot.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM

If you like that area, hook up with one of the Twisselman's, Nolan would be my first choice. For $600 you get a 2 day guided hunt, nice clean bunkhouse to stay in, and field dressing, skinning, and cold storage of your meat while your there.
He's extremely cordial and helpful. He'll drive you around to spots where both of you can glass. Once he spots some pigs, he'll check the wind and tell you which way would be the best for your stalk. He'll hang back and leave you alone until you make the kill, or lose sight of the animals. Once the animal's down, he'll assist you with getting it to the truck, field dress it, and take to their cooler truck where they skin and quarter it.
He has a fishing pond in front of the bunkhouse you can fish. And if you get your pig early, he'll usually let to do some ground squirrel hunting or target shooting on the ranch.
If your paying a guide good money for a hunt, it should be a enjoyable experience.

Old 04-23-2013, 5:53 PM

$700 to shoot the nastiest animal on earth...................
Old 04-23-2013, 6:49 PM

Just like other members recommend, try Tejon ranch. you can make your hunt easy or hard.tons of pig and a beautiful ranch to spend your week end.
Our group of 4 just got back from the north side (first time) and all of us got pig. TRY IT...
Old 04-24-2013, 4:54 AM

Never been on a guided hunt but I think if you are paying you shouldn't be rushed.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
If you like that area, hook up with one of the Twisselman's, Nolan would be my first choice. For $600 you get a 2 day guided hunt, nice clean bunkhouse to stay in, and field dressing, skinning, and cold storage of your meat while your there.
He's extremely cordial and helpful. He'll drive you around to spots where both of you can glass. Once he spots some pigs, he'll check the wind and tell you which way would be the best for your stalk. He'll hang back and leave you alone until you make the kill, or lose sight of the animals. Once the animal's down, he'll assist you with getting it to the truck, field dress it, and take to their cooler truck where they skin and quarter it.
He has a fishing pond in front of the bunkhouse you can fish. And if you get your pig early, he'll usually let to do some ground squirrel hunting or target shooting on the ranch.
If your paying a guide good money for a hunt, it should be a enjoyable experience.

This sounds more like it! See guys, I am all about the "experience." I am not a professional hunter. For me to pay $$, get time of work/family/ drive several hours- I want an experience, I want to soak it in, and really enjoy myself. BITTERWATTER OUTFITTERS, was just the opposite. It was run and gun. The whole hunt was over in 20 minutes or so.

It's like when I would get journalists when deployed "in the sand box". I wouldn't rush them. I would give them a brief overview, of where they are operating, some facts about the region..then I would take them on a patrol and let them enjoy "soak it in". Basically I would ensure they had a good experience.

Old 04-24-2013, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1856 View Post
Most guides prefer to get you on a pig quickly. They're gonna get $700 whether it takes you 1 hr or 2 days to down a hog. The faster you harvest your pig the less fuel cost and the more time they have to do their other ranch jobs.

I have not been in a situation like you where I felt hurried to get a pig, but did get a sense they wanted you to shoot a pig as soon as possible. As what others stated there are so many guides you gotta find one that you like and keep going back.

The guide that I go to was recommended by a friend. When I asked him why that guide he said "He doesnt like to run up and down hills like a billy goat since he has a bad back, so he gets on the pigs and we get really close in the jeep without spooking them get off and shoot.
Since this was my first trek out with an outfitter, I quickly realized that this is big business. When we returned to the ranch after our hunt. It was around 0900hrs. There was a group of 15 newly arrived hunters. I was like wow, these outfitters are racking in the $$$. Very transactional experience, but it makes sense, it's about supply and demand.

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-11-2013 at 3:01 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 7:03 PM

I've been on quite a few guided hog hunts. And if they were a two, three, or four day hunt, you got to hunt all of thise days. Even if you already got a hog. If tags were required you hunted as many pigs as you had time or tags for. Whichever ran out first. At the end of the day You're paying for their time and experience.
I do custom automotive fabrication exhausts, rollcages, air ride, off road suspension and general welding. Pm me for details. great pricing and I'm willing to trade for firearms, optics, and ar or ak parts
Old 04-25-2013, 6:36 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I've posted this before in here but I think it's appropriate to restate as a FYI.

There is a well known hunting property in Northern California that a friend of my fathers used to be in charge of the hunts on. He would invite my Dad up on a Saturday AM to hang out and mess around on the ranch for the weekend while he had a hunter in for a "two day hog hunt"

He would tell the hunter "If we are really lucky we can catch the pigs coming back onto the ranch at daylight". Reality was the pigs would cross there every morning as they weren't pressured enough to change their pattern. Consequently by 9am on a Saturday the hunter would be tagged out with the hog gutted and cleaned and on their way home with a giant smile on their face.

Then my father and friend could go do stuff together all weekend long. Everybody was happy.

I know nothing about this operation (bitterwater) but if you came back to camp to find 15 more hunters its possible they were running people through like a production line and therefore when you didn't tag out it put a wrench in their plans. A guided hunt should be enjoyable and as you expect the guide to put you in position for a shot the guide expects you to be able to connect in a reasonable shooting situation. If a hunter cannot make a shot and is given repeated chances there is nothing the guide can do as that's on you. I have a good friend who is a waterfowl guide and he will shoot with certain clients b/c they are terrible shots and it will take 3x as long for the party to limit out. Guiding is not easy as a profession. The people who I know who did or do it full time burn themselves out to where they don't even want to hunt for fun. You have to go out when sick, deal with jerks, deal with unsafe gun handling, people who can't hit a barn at 50 yards, etc.

Hogs are a cash crop and my experience is different than glorified welder.

For the op or others pm BIGBOARSTOPPER as numerous calgunners have reported positive experiences with him and he's on the central coast.

224 rounds of high quality Winchester .223 FS/FT - $180

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1226164
Old 04-25-2013, 6:52 AM

Check is in the mail Lew.

I won't comment on another outfitter. But I wi comment on what it's like on my end of the guided hunt. I deal with people from all spectrums of life. New hunters to hunters who have hunted all around the world. People who want to be completely catered to, to the hunters who basically want to do 99% of it themselves.

When a hunter shows up I want to get as much hunt time in as productively possible. Sometimes we will tag out in the first 10 minutes of the hunt. Sometimes we get nothing in a whole weekend. For me there is a horrible anxiety that comes with having guided hunters. It's the feeling that we won't see a thing or ever get a shot off. So I take every moment of productive hunting time I can while they are with me. I can see how people can feel they are rushed, especially if the hunter tags out quickly. But a lot of times I will know exactly where some hogs are. I will take the hunter to them on the first hunt of the first evening. Sometimes it's over that fast. Almost half the time the hunters miss and we will be hunting all weekend trying to find another shot.

For me personally I like to make friends with my hunters if I can. Sometimes people don't click, the hunt goes way too easy or the hunting is poor. Those factors really play a role in the relationship made with a client.

I know these hunts are expensive. I just try to make it enjoyable and make sure they get their monies worth.

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 04-25-2013 at 7:17 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 8:12 AM

A bit of advice for your next hunt. Don't show up with a Rifle that is not Zeroed

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 04-25-2013, 8:20 AM

Quote:
A bit of advice for your next hunt. Don't show up with a Rifle that is not Zeroed

Absolutely agree, that's a hunters responsibility.
Old 07-11-2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. My experience two weekends ago with BITTERWATER OUTFITTERS prompted me to actually create a profile and write about "my thoughts".

A little about me. I grew in the urban jungle of OC. Not a natural boy scout or backwoods guru. Spent some time in the Army, several deployments- combat arms. Anyways, I have only been hunting for about 3 years now. All public lands- not much luck with large mammals ( never can find them). Only been successful at quail, duck, and rabbit.

So two weekends ago. I took plunge and contacted BITTERWATER. OUTFITTERS (BWO). Owned by some dude named Clayton. He was very professional via email and had some great reviews on the net. Anyways, I booked a EURASIAN HOG hunt.

The Ranch (HQ)
1.Nice lil spot, with a decent cleaning station and a sick *** range up to ( 400yards). Location is off of HWY 46 ( bitterwater rd). Scenary at the ranch rustic and spartan.

The guides
1.Here is my real issue. None of these guys were A holes or first class jerks. But 2 of the young ones MATT and forgot the other dudes name. They were hmm let's same second class jerks.. if that makes any sense?

2.He gave off a "hey keep quiet, follow my lead, don't talk- I dont like people vibe". Not friendly, laid back or hospitable.

3.The owner Clayton, seemed aloof and preoccupied. He introduced himself and I saw him again after I paid for the hunt.

The Hunt
Ok, so again. This is my first paid hunt- I have ZERO frame of reference. So I showed motivated, ready to learn, with a big smile on my face. The plan was I would show up friday night, zero my weapon, camp at the ranch, and wake up SAT morning, and head out around 0630hrs.
So I show up Friday around 1845 hrs. The guide MATT was like- hey man, your late!!! let's go, we got 2.5 hrs of daylight left. I was like, "umm, hey, hi, I am (insert name) dude relax, I need to zero my ****, and set up tent, and stuff before dark". he was like NO lets go! I thought Ok, let's do this. A lil pissed about being rushed. But I adpated, put my gear on, and without confirming my zero took my rifle with me. We drive 10 minutes to another ENCLOSED AREA. He unloads the gator, and we are off. So listen guys " I am hyped up" I am not a rich guy. I paid some serious$$, took time away from my wife and kids, drive 3.5 hrs. So despite being rushed into this FRIDAY night evening hunt, I am still smiling and motivated. MATT the guide, was stone cold- ZERO personality.

Anyhow, we enter the gates.. about 5 minutes of driving. We spot a heard of HOGS. Me ( a lil disappointed- it only took 5 minutes) but I am still kinda pumped. We get out, the animals look at us, and keep eating grass ( distance 300yards). We move up about 150yards. I take the shot-I miss!!! no kidding me. New scope, no zero. The guide looks all pissed, then says, looks like we gota come out here again, with a snide tone. I am like, I thought this was a 2.5 day hunt. he replies "only if you suck".

Anyways, we head to camp. I set my tent up. BBQ a hotdog, and hit the rack.

Day2:
Wakeup sat morning, 0530 hrs, head to the range 0600. Took 9 shots to zero my rifle at 200yards. No issues.

Drive 10 minutes. to the area. Get the gator. Drive another 7 minutes or so. Spot another heard. We dismount. My guide also was all "aggro", and like... and yelling in my ear... shoot man..shoot!! I am like relax dude. Let me enjoy this and take it all in. He looks annoyed. I settle in. range out about 250 yards. The hogs do not seem bothered by all the noise the GATOR made or my guide. I get in the prone. 1 shot one 1 kill.

We head to camp. They clean and gut. I pay. I leave.

Now, fellas- help me out here please. Is the above the typically "out fitter" experience? If so, not very challenging, not very sportsman like. I mean, we were loud and these hogs, didnt bother, ohh and I after I shot. The others just lingered around moved about 75 yards and were just looking, as we snatched up there compadre. I dunno guys, I am a little disappointed. I thought it would be more challenging. I thought the outfitter would also be more professional and hospitable.

Note- I also spotted sheep, and some large ostrich like birds. None of the animals paid us much attention as we drove by.

I feel, cheated by this experience. I dunno, do I try them again. Maybe use a bow? and Ask for a different guide. Or is this the norm? If not, can someone recommened me a first class outfitter- that treats their guests with respect and has a more challenging hunt.

Cheers!

Second Take:

Hey everyone. So today I received a phone call from BITTERWATER OUTFITTERS. Apparently they read the review and wanted to get my perspective on the hunt. First of all, I say Kudos to them for following up- that shows a real level of professionalism. I am a bit baffled and also impressed on how they were able to track me down. I did not give a the exact date which I hunted. I even told a small "fib" to throw them off. I actually hunted an EXOTIC but wrote down WILD PIG, as I did not want my Identity to be exposed. Anyways, they were able to figure that I wrote this review. The owner's wife called my directly. Again, pretty impressed they were able to figure it was me that wrote the write up.

So after much thought, and now months since my FIRST and ONLY guided hunt experience. I must say- I have to STAND BY MY WORDS. That is all the words I wrote in my original write up. Without another experience- I can't say that I would HUNT with them again ( giving up my hard earned money) and yet at the same time, I am not sure I can NOT recommend them to you all either. I would say, give them a try and make up your own mind. Each guide is different, you just might get one of the good ones and have a great time. Or you can be like and leave the hunt mildly perplexed and confused on whether or not you just got "jacked" or not.

In conclusion was this a completely negative experience, no, not really. I was able to get some meat in my freezer. That said, was an amazing weekend getaway and hunting experience- definitely not. However, just because they called, I might be able to convince some of my compadres to join me for another hunt- I just might give them one more chance, because everyone deserves a second chance.

cheers

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-11-2013 at 2:59 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Nah that's sounds like a rip off.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Are you a brand new hunter? You don't show up to any hunt without being prepared, including all of your equipment.

My parents have hunted with Clayton and his guide service and they would love to go back.

I guess it depends on what type of hunter you are. I applaud Clayton for tracking you down and questioning you about your concerns. I believe that says something about his outfit.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by center_x View Post
Are you a brand new hunter? You don't show up to any hunt without being prepared, including all of your equipment.

My parents have hunted with Clayton and his guide service and they would love to go back.

I guess it depends on what type of hunter you are. I applaud Clayton for tracking you down and questioning you about your concerns. I believe that says something about his outfit.
Am I a brand new hunter? NO. That said, this was my first "paid/guided hunt". I am in the Military- so I understand being prepared. When I talked to them on the phone. I mentioned, I have a new scope, and have not been able to Zero it. Clayton said, no issues, "we have a range up to 400yards" Show early on Friday and Zero all afternoon. The Hunt will begin SAT morning. That made sense to me.

That said, as you can read above. I showed Friday and got whisked away to hunt. Even though I told the guide that I have a new scope, I need to ZERO it. Regardless he was adamant we move out. Now, I decided since the scope says "zero'd out of the box @ 150m". I gave it a try. Once again my issue was not what transpired Friday afternoon- yet overall experience- was rather lacking in customer service. Like I said above, maybe I caught them on the wrong day. Again as mentioned above- kudos on them for reaching out and trying to better their organization.

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-12-2013 at 4:13 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

MATT and Clayton most likely remembered you because you might have been the only client they had whose rifle is not zeroed. I understand the rush about the first day but the retort about, "only if you suck" is not appropriate and unprofessional.
Old 07-12-2013, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

What do you guys understand about being rushed? If I pay 700+ dollars I want to drag it out as long as possible.

Show up shoot a fenced in pig and leave? for 700?
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM

I have hunted with Bitterwater Outfitters for over six years now and have spent close to 15k with them over that time. I have taken close to 20 pigs, three deer, and have done several bird hunts. I have never encountered anything of what you are complaining about. I'm pretty small potatoes compared to some of the people that hunt with Clayton. I see a lot of the same people out at the ranch when I am out there. Clayton has a really loyal client base from what I can tell. I think one of the things that brings a lot of his customers back is because of his customer relationship. I know thats why I keep going back and hunt with him. If you had some issue with him or Matt or the hunt you should have brought it to his attention and I'm sure he would have made it right. Talking trash on the net is pretty weak in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

I find it amusing that anyone refers this as a hunt.

Isn't this basically a canned pen raised shoot?
Old 07-16-2013, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott fisher View Post
I have hunted with Bitterwater Outfitters for over six years now and have spent close to 15k with them over that time. I have taken close to 20 pigs, three deer, and have done several bird hunts. I have never encountered anything of what you are complaining about. I'm pretty small potatoes compared to some of the people that hunt with Clayton. I see a lot of the same people out at the ranch when I am out there. Clayton has a really loyal client base from what I can tell. I think one of the things that brings a lot of his customers back is because of his customer relationship. I know thats why I keep going back and hunt with him. If you had some issue with him or Matt or the hunt you should have brought it to his attention and I'm sure he would have made it right. Talking trash on the net is pretty weak in my opinion.
"talking smack" Do you speak English? Did you read my write-up? What level is your reading comprehension at? Where in any of my posts did I "talk ****"? Did I use foul language? Did I call them names? No!

I merely gave a review based on my experience and my experience only! Did I tell people- these are evil *** clowns that rip you off???? No! I wrote my own review- ( here is the kicker man) once again based on my OWN experience. Not yours, your dads, or your neighbors, or some guy named you meet in passing at your local gun shop. Hope we are now crystal clear. If you read carefully, you will even see that I recommended people try them out for themselves and make up their own minds. Heck, I even stated- I might give them a second go. Why?????? Because as I stated in my post "everyone has bad days, everyone deserves a second chance". Did you not read that? Did you not comprehend? Do I think by reaching out to me to get my side of the story, they did a good thing? Yes!

They are on the right path. Do I think their guides need some more training with customer service and basic protocol. Yes- will at least the two that I worked with, most certainly do.

Anyways- 15K is a lot of money. Your pockets are deeper than mine. Good for you. I'm glad that you and based your own criteria not "law" or "absolute truth" you enjoyed your hunts. Your experience is not everyone else's. We are all people with from different backgrounds with different personalities. We all have different expectations. This was my first paid hunt- I had my "own ideas" of how it would be. Anyways, I found the experience to be subpar and mediocre. Not horrible, just OK. Since I am not a rich man. When I pay for a hunt, which I can only do maybe 2-3 times a year. I want a to be treated like a guest, I want a personal experience. I would like to build some rapport with my guide. Now that me, not you. Maybe you have established a great relationship with them Good for you- 15K spent better be a good relationship. Next time you hunt with them. Write your own review.

thanks

Last edited by thegreyman2013; 07-16-2013 at 7:51 AM..
Old 07-16-2013, 6:43 AM

Interesting first post.........

I'm a new hunter and have been considering doing a guided hunt as a learning experience. If all I'm gonna do is shoot a caged animal I'm not intrested at all. I want to be taught the art of hunting and how to clean an animal. I have had zero luck finding someone to let me hunt with them to teach me do this was an option to me. Maybe not so much anymore.
Old 07-16-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sarge View Post
Interesting first post.........

I'm a new hunter and have been considering doing a guided hunt as a learning experience. If all I'm gonna do is shoot a caged animal I'm not intrested at all. I want to be taught the art of hunting and how to clean an animal. I have had zero luck finding someone to let me hunt with them to teach me do this was an option to me. Maybe not so much anymore.
I'm a decent hunter.. more a tactical guy if that makes sense. I live near Fort Hunter Liggett. I need a good battle buddy. PM me if you interested in hunting with me.

Old 07-16-2013, 7:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds like he was trying to rush you thru on Fri. night to get you a kill so he could get paid and have the whole weekend to himself.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 07-16-2013, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I agree some what but like the op stated they had a range.I am fortunate to live on a farm and have my own range but some people in the city might not have access to a public range or is to far away from one.It's obvious those were domestic hogs so the out fitter just wanted the op to shoot one and collect his money.Isn't there a law about planting domestic animals and then telling customers it's feral pigs.I know I read about a place that got busted for that.
That bad attitude is total bs telling a paying costumer that he sucks when his scope is not zero-ed would has pissed me off to.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 07-16-2013, 8:39 AM
not TRUMP is my choice!!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott fisher View Post
Sounds like it might be the owner or someone who is associated with bitterwater. Only one post so far and only about this subject, interesting.

To the original poster, sorry you had a bad expereince and I agree, if I was to pay that much I would want to drag it out to get the most out of the experience.

Sounds like you tasted the bitter water of bitterwater guiding service.
Old 07-16-2013, 8:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post
I'm a decent hunter.. more a tactical guy if that makes sense. I live near Fort Hunter Liggett. I need a good battle buddy. PM me if you interested in hunting with me.
You are a tactical guy looking for a battle buddy?

There is no war going on when hunting. No "battle" Seriously.
Old 07-16-2013, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Sounds like it might be the owner or someone who is associated with bitterwater. Only one post so far and only about this subject, interesting.

To the original poster, sorry you had a bad expereince and I agree, if I was to pay that much I would want to drag it out to get the most out of the experience.

Sounds like you tasted the bitter water of bitterwater guiding service.
Yeah, I had a "so- so" experience. Mediocre at best. I am not naive, I'm sure some people have had good experiences, maybe even great ones- or else they would not be in business.