Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM

Smile do you ever practice for a SHTF / disaster scenario?

If your going to be prepared for a natural disaster / SHTF situation, then it's probably not a bad idea to actually do some field training / survival training so you know what to do in case it ever does happen.

having supplies is just part of it, your going to have to know how to use it, test it, know the alternate escape routes, back roads, lines of communication in case the internet / phone service goes down, and also having enough cash in case the credit card service goes down when the power goes out.

you should try to use your rations before they expire and get fresh replacements, every so often, since food does go bad

also something a lot of people forget is to make sure your spare tire has enough air, lots of people have a flat spare tire because they never check it.

travis bickle
Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM

We live where doing stuff for yourself is how it gets done. We went thru a huge fire last year and did just fine.

Our biggest problem was getting the family to where they were needed. They were able to get home even though they had the roads closed, at least the ones the gooberment had jurisdiction over.

We practice staying put. We are not leaving.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I tried to practice. Took wife and kids up to our remote location with 2 backpacks of food tents etc and half a roll of TP (because wife kept using prep TP instead of going to the store) and told them we needed to rough it for 4 days.

Oh day 3 wife and kids quit and filed for divorce.

TP lasts way longer now.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Yeah I tried to practice. Took wife and kids up to our remote location with 2 backpacks of food tents etc and half a roll of TP (because wife kept using prep TP instead of going to the store) and told them we needed to rough it for 4 days.

TP lasts way longer now.
/thread
Old 08-24-2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post

TP lasts way longer now.
LOL!

Reminds me of my fam. They think we can load our "circus tent" pots/pans, weeks worth of clothes, sleeping bags, pillows, kitchen sink.

IMHO, No way we will get anywhere by car -nearby freeways/"back roads" will be parking lots.
I have a 2 wheeled game cart and plan on using it for bare min water/food/tarp/1st aid/gun+ammo. ......Will prob need to abandon the bare min stuff and use it to carry whiny wife + kids complaining, they r too tired after couple miles.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:53 PM

What, actually do and practice what they talk about knowledgeably. Thats a concept.
Old 08-27-2016, 1:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

Last Friday night about 10 or so I ran out of Gentleman Jack. SHTF until I realized their was more in the pantry.

Seriously though. Take a Friday morning and before you go to work cut the power to your house. Maintain this until 1800 Sunday evening. Take notes, it will suck.
Old 08-27-2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacksman View Post
Last Friday night about 10 or so I ran out of Gentleman Jack. SHTF until I realized their was more in the pantry.

Seriously though. Take a Friday morning and before you go to work cut the power to your house. Maintain this until 1800 Sunday evening. Take notes, it will suck.
Could have been a serious situation there, lucky outcome.

It amazes me that all the internet experts talk about EDC's, BoB's, car kits and the like, but ask them if they have ever used it and you get a blank look. I was military, we used to train, train, train, then go on exercise to practice the training, streamline the practices, procedures and kit. That way when we went to war we were in a situation that we knew what we had and what we did actually worked.

My personal favourite is: I have a car kit and I live 8, 10, 12, whatever miles away from my office. When was the last time they walked even one mile, know which socks and boots are best for their feet and how their kit selection will cope with the stroll home?

Still, on the positive side, it's all more gear for me to simply gather up on 'the day' rather than having to buy it now.
Old 08-27-2016, 5:52 PM
CGSSA Associate

From one brother to another(still active), thank you for your service and I couldn't agree more. Cutting the power is about as easy of a scenario as you can try, or say F'it and walk home on Friday and "time" that travel distance.

Good sh#t thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
Could have been a serious situation there, lucky outcome.

It amazes me that all the internet experts talk about EDC's, BoB's, car kits and the like, but ask them if they have ever used it and you get a blank look. I was military, we used to train, train, train, then go on exercise to practice the training, streamline the practices, procedures and kit. That way when we went to war we were in a situation that we knew what we had and what we did actually worked.

My personal favourite is: I have a car kit and I live 8, 10, 12, whatever miles away from my office. When was the last time they walked even one mile, know which socks and boots are best for their feet and how their kit selection will cope with the stroll home?

Still, on the positive side, it's all more gear for me to simply gather up on 'the day' rather than having to buy it now.
Old 08-27-2016, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

I agree that everyone should practice the skills but most watch a video and maybe buy a book that'll be read as the emergency occurs and called good. Like buying informational insurance.

Most do not make the time to train at anything that's not job related these days.
The attitude seems to be one of dealing with the problem as it occurs and trying to wing it.
No plans for the "Murphy's Law" situations that we all know will happen.

Somebody else will do the job of defending/rescuing them and they depend on the all powerful cell phone which will magically summon help 24/7 anywhere on the planet.
The govt will assist or the EMS people will rescue them and or arrest the bad man banging down the front door while on the phone with 911 dispatcher.

Training/practice is too much work for most...
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-28-2016, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I agree that everyone should practice the skills but most watch a video and maybe buy a book that'll be read as the emergency occurs and called good. Like buying informational insurance.

Most do not make the time to train at anything that's not job related these days.
The attitude seems to be one of dealing with the problem as it occurs and trying to wing it.
No plans for the "Murphy's Law" situations that we all know will happen.

Somebody else will do the job of defending/rescuing them and they depend on the all powerful cell phone which will magically summon help 24/7 anywhere on the planet.
The govt will assist or the EMS people will rescue them and or arrest the bad man banging down the front door while on the phone with 911 dispatcher.

Training/practice is too much work for most...
I remember when I was told that I would be attending a course, a particular milestone of that course is that you demonstrate you can make fire with a fire bow. As soon as this skill is clearly demonstrated you are handed an easier way to repeatedly make fire.

So, knowing this in advance I read, I watched a couple of videos and I read some more........how difficult could it be, right!

For the odd half hour, or hour, here and there, for the next six months, with colleagues chuckling at me I succeeded in producing wisp's of smoke, lots of wisps of smoke. But no fire.

When I went on the course the instructor demo'ed the technique with a fire bow, with a wet fire bow and with a fire stick. He could produce a glowing ember to light a fire in under 30 seconds. Under his instruction I had the technique within two hours and could light a fire within a few minutes.

The difference between "reading comics", or "watching youtube" and being shown and really learning how to do something.

The rule of the Five P's = Perfect Practice Prevents Poor Performance
Old 08-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

I plan to bug in.

Practicing right now. Sitting on the couch...waiting...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Practice at home? Not really. I mean, I practice getting my SD guns out and ready as fast as possible, and I make sure I know where my BOB is, and plan out various ways of getting away from the area if need be. But otherwise, no, I don't "play out" scenarios.

Most of my BOB gear is, not coincidentally, also my backpacking gear... so I suppose I "practice" bugging out each time I go backpacking

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.
Old 08-31-2016, 9:33 AM

Bugging in is my preference and I am working on improving my intel of my city and county:
  • Gangs
  • Police and fire fighter staffing levels
  • Get home/egress routes including off-street options (railroad tracks, bike trails, etc.)
  • National Guard and military presence
  • Locations of dams (potential flood hazards)
  • Tsunami maps for coastal area
  • Police/Fire/City scanner frequencies
  • CERT organization
  • Detailed street level paper maps
  • Neighbors who are serious about preparing

EDIT: File is too big to attach so here is the title

ARMY TECHNIQUES PUBLICATION (ATP) 2-01.3/MCRP 2-3A

http://www.vetogunmageddon.org/

Sign up, donate and volunteer. Get your local stores and ranges to sign up to host the signature sheets.

Read threads in: Calguns California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism

OPPOSE PROP 63, ASSEM BILLS 1135, 1511, 1695, 857 AND SENATE BILLS 880, 1235 AND 1446.

Last edited by teotwaki; 08-31-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 9:40 AM

As mentioned, camping and backpacking are good ways to practice with your gear and loads of fun as well

Sign up, donate and volunteer. Get your local stores and ranges to sign up to host the signature sheets.

OPPOSE PROP 63, ASSEM BILLS 1135, 1511, 1695, 857 AND SENATE BILLS 880, 1235 AND 1446.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 PM

Every day. It's called commuting through the South Bay. If you ever want an idea of what it will be like to bug-out, spend a few hours trying to go the 16 miles from my house to my office. I gave up on any dream of bugging out in any situation short of a massive natural disaster that would make staying impossible.
Old 08-31-2016, 1:19 PM

For disaster intel gathering there are various alert systems available:

https://ocalert.net

https://www.ubalert.com/

http://www.sms-tsunami-warning.com/

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program

WEA messages look like text messages and come with a unique audible sound and vibration for the benefit of the hearing-impaired. They're short descriptions of the situation and recommendations of any actions you should take. To ensure the messages won't be delayed by cellular network congestion, the program uses a different technology from text messaging.

Three different types of WEA messages : Presidential Alerts, Imminent Threat Alerts (natural disasters or any other situation that poses threat to life or property), and AMBER Alerts (information to help authorities find abducted children).

LISTING OF SOURCES OF WEATHER ALERTS: http://www.weather.gov/subscribe

AccuWeather.com provides free email forecast and severe weather alerts.

ALERT FM is an aggregator of State and Local emergency information with multiple contact paths for mass notification. Emergency information is delivered via the data subcarrier of existing FM radio stations, SMS (text) and email. This system allows emergency management officials to create and send digital alerts and messages to recipients such as first responders, school officials, businesses, and citizens based on geographic or organizational groupings. Such alerts and messages might include NOAA weather warnings, evacuation instructions, homeland security notices, Amber Alerts, or school closings.

AnythingWeather provides severe weather alerting services, via email or mobile phone. Alerts are based on NWS issued watches and warnings etc.

AudioNow™ Users can now listen to your broadcasts on any phone. No expensive phones or data plans necessary!” AudioNow provides mobile streaming to any mobile device.

BoatU.S. Receive Public Advisories from the National Hurricane Center as they are issued, PLUS detailed maps of the forecast track, wind bands and wind field for each named storm. Choose to receive alerts from one or more of 5 regions in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico.

Call Loop - makes it easy for schools, organizations, and local government agencies to send emergency alerts via mass text messages and audio voice broadcasts. Lets users sign up to receive local weather alerts and updates sent directly to their mobile phone. Weather Alerts - Just text in WEATHER to 38470. Source of data--NWS.

The CodeRED Mobile Alert app is a service of Emergency Communications Network, the nation’s leading provider of high-speed emergency and mass notification messaging services. The app provides users local alerts initiated by authorized public safety officials who use the CodeRED community notification system, as well as dozens of customizable location-based severe weather warnings issued by the National Weather Service. Users may select the types of warnings they would like to receive and set a personal warning radius. Users may view the exact location of the alert using an interactive map as well as alert details.

WeatherRadios.com focuses on weather radio products and specializes in weather alert accessories for deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals including wireless transmitters/receivers, pillow vibrators and strobe lights.

DialMyCalls is a completely web-based system that sends emergency weather alerts via phone call, text message, and email. Weather data is pulled from the NWS & DialMyCalls is also is an integration partner with IPAWS/ FEMA warning system. Account can also be accessed from any computer with internet access.

Disaster Alert is a mobile multi-hazard monitoring application created for iOS and Android™ users. By accessing the DisasterAWARE platform, it provides users with near real-time access to data on active hazards

Early Alert a suite of electronic reports which can be deployed to your management personnel, emergency management teams, and staff at all levels to notify them of impending, hazardous events, natural or man-made. Real-time weather and other extreme hazard alerts via email, text message, IM, voice, or website posting, to include individuals and/or groups. Click here to sign up for email tropical cyclone bulletins: http://www.earlyalert.com/users/clientregistration.php

FEMA's Mobile App - The FEMA app is your one-stop-shop with tools and tips to keep you safe before, during, and after disasters. The app enables users to receive weather alerts

FirstCall ALERT APP allows people on the move to receive potential life-saving emergency notifications and weather alerts on their iOS devices based on their current location anywhere. The power of the National Weather Service warnings are captured on your device and provides unlimited access to weather warnings instantly along with your location in relation to the event. Our automated weather alerts from NOAA as well as our app download are completely free to the public. For more information go to http://www.firstcall.net

This National Weather Service (NWS) FTPMAIL server is intended to allow Internet access for users who do not have direct access to the World Wide Web but who are equipped with an e-mail system. The service is free and no signup is required. Using FTPMAIL, users can request files from NWS and have them automatically e-mailed back to them. Note: This service does not provide automated alerts--user request is required to receive products.

iAlert.com Designed, managed, and run by meteorologists, iAlert.com delivers real-time severe weather and emergency alerts by text message and email for any U.S. City for free.

ifWeather lets you create custom weather alerts. It is the best place to manage many custom weather alerts when the chief concern is precipitation or temperature. Other services have the severe weather alerts covered, but for people most concerned with knowing when there's a x% chance of rain/sleet/snow, or if a specific temperature threshold will be hit, ifWeather.com is the way to go. ifWeather.com can notify people via email, SMS, and twitter.

iMAP WeatherRadio WDT’s iMap services provide dynamic interactive and mobile weather mapping solutions for the world's leading local media and Internet companies. WDT is a global leader in providing state-of-the-science weather detection, nowcasting, and forecasting systems.

intellicast Weather alerts on the desktop. (Intellicast is part of the Weather Channel Group)

Weather apps in iPhone store: ~250
Weather apps in Android store: ~600

MyWARN is a simple, easy to use service that uses location services to notify user about severe weather watches and warnings when they are inside a storm based warning or county watch.

The Ping4alerts! app helps you stay in touch with your local world by sending you alerts based on your location and selected preferences. Get public safety and local event information wherever you go, including National Weather Service and NOAA alerts.

Let ProAlert.us Emergency Alert services turn your cell phone into something more useful. Receive timely and perhaps life saving weather related watches and warnings on your cellphone, Blackberry or in your regular email.

Simple Weather Alert
Weather alerts for Twitter and more. Public Twitter accounts are free for personal use. Custom Twitter accounts created for a fee. Alert messages are formatted for easy reading on mobile devices. See samples here: https://twitter.com/SimpleWeather4U/...-weather-alert . Tweets can be configured to be sent to SMS. Alerts can be displayed on your website using Twitter widgets. Custom alert delivery systems available.

Storm Shield Severe Weather App - The Storm Shield Severe Weather App turns your iPhone or Android into an emergency weather radio. Get storm-based alerts for life-threatening weather events via voice and push notifications. Users can program the app to receive alerts for up to five locations.

StormWatch+ provides push notifications for a variety of weather hazards to your iPhone/iPad. Combining storm-based warnings issued by the NWS and your precise GPS-derived location, StormWatch+ will send instant alerts of impending hazardous weather, but only if the locations you define are directly threatened. StormWatch+ alerts can be customized by the user and include "wake-me-up" audio for the most severe storms. Local forecast, radar, and severe weather safety tips provided free of charge.

Stormwater Forecast - Site-specific forecasts for stormwater professionals. This service provides automated notification of US National Weather Service forecasts supporting rain event action plans, flow monitoring and stormwater sampling schedules, staffing decisions, construction management and asset protection. Automated email alerts are provided.

Syneren Technologies has developed a scalable and customizable, crisis and incident management web-based software and mobile alert application called ITUS. The ITUS technology streamlines communication and provides real-time visibility between mobile users and Rescue Teams via a free mobile application available for download now on Google Play and Rescue centers using web-based hub (request a demonstration today at http://www.itus-us.com). Other features of the tool include real-time weather alesrts via SMS and Email and maps; user-friendly weather shelter updates and creation; scheduling features for better Rescue Team coordination; and live updates to users that “help is on the way.”

Thunder Eagle® designs and manufactures state-of-the-art weather radio and communications systems to receive weather alerts and live weather information from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) NOAA Weather Radio (NWR) System.

Twitter Personally monitor NWS Twitter messages (e.g., @NHC_Atlantic and @NHC_Pacific for hurricane information; @NWS_WCATWC for tsunami information) or use a commercial service for monitoring NWS Twitter activity. See http://ow.ly/f8slJ for instructions on how to turn on SMS notifications of Twitter posts.

@weatherwatches - a non-NWS Twitter feed providing NWS watches, as well as information on possible upcoming watches and probability of watches as derived from NWS Storm Prediction Center Mesoscale Discussions - This feed is free to the public.

WX-TROPL - Hurricane products for Pacific Basin/rest of globe

WeatherBug offers a free desktop application showing live local current conditions and severe weather alerts right in their system tray.
Computer and e-mail

WeatherCall delivers site-specific, rapid notifications of official National Weather Service severe weather warnings to any type of phone, SMS text, or email address, 24 hours a day.

weatherTAP.com provides National Weather Service severe weather alerts (warnings for tornados, flood, and thunderstorms) to users by text message or email.

The Weather Channel Email alerts are free. Although The Weather Channel does not charge for text message alerts, message and data rates may apply from your mobile phone company.

LRK Technologies LLC has produced the Weather H.E.A.D emergency alert and display system. Weather H.E.A.D is a compact transportable computer that gathers critical weather information from the National Weather Service web servers. It sends the information in a simple format to a High Definition display and e-mail alerts allowing you to assess the situation before it impacts your area. There is a fee to purchase the unit, but no recurring charges.

Weather HD is a mobile app that sends Alert Push Notifications to your iPhone/iPad/Mac device. A free version is available.

Weather Underground - Streaming NWR Audio at http://www.wunderground.com/wxradio/index.html. Various weather related applications at http://www.wunderground.com/download/index.asp .

WeatherUSA provides a free, real-time weather alert service which sends out weather warnings, watches, and hurricane information as soon as they are issued by federal agencies (such as the National Weather Service). Alerts are sent to subscribers in the warned areas via text messages (SMS) and e-mail. Premium users can also receive alerts via voice (phone) call.

Old 08-31-2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
Every day. It's called commuting through the South Bay. If you ever want an idea of what it will be like to bug-out, spend a few hours trying to go the 16 miles from my house to my office. I gave up on any dream of bugging out in any situation short of a massive natural disaster that would make staying impossible.
In earthquake country these sorts of things would deep six most vehicular bug out plans

Old 08-31-2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwaki View Post
In earthquake country these sorts of things would deep six most vehicular bug out plans
Yup. Given the traffic issues in CA, bugging out by vehicle is just not a viable option in most urban areas. I'd be moving out by foot or, preferably, by bicycle. I commute by bicycle 2 or 3 times a week, year round and do a fair amount of backpacking, so i guess that could count as practice.
Old 08-31-2016, 2:09 PM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwaki View Post
For disaster intel gathering there are various alert systems available:

(clipped)

^ Good list, but you should consolidate all the internet resources, since it's really only 1 resource for all practical purposes. Meaning, if 1 of them doesn't work then chances are pretty good that none of the rest work either.

Unlike, say, radio resources, where if one isn't working there might still be others that work fine.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-31-2016 at 2:22 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
^ Good list, but you should consolidate all the internet resources, since it's really only 1 resource for all practical purposes. Meaning, if 1 of them doesn't work then chances are pretty good that none of the rest work either.
I don't follow that logic. If I have an Internet connection that goes further than my local provider then I should have connectivity to all functioning sites. That excludes bandwidth or latency issues due to IP traffic flowing along alternate and less capable paths. Either I have the local connection or I don't. I can monitor developments until some catastrophe whacks my local connection or a significant portion of America's Internet backbone.

Jim