Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-23-2017, 7:05 PM

Default Property in Frazier Park for SHTF ?

Hi Calguns,
Been planning ways to relocate out of the San Fernando Valley for a while now... is there a prepper community or individuals up in Frazier Park?
Real estate is almost reasonable and I like the mountains. Seems close enough for me to commute into Los Angeles, I work off-hours and my industry is and always will be down here. In my 30s, so can't just up and move to Idaho. With all the stuff in the world right now, I'd really prefer to come down to LA for work and deal with a more substantial get home bag situation, than be down here bugging in or whatever.
Anyhow if anyone is up that way, would very much appreciate hearing your experiences and insights of the area. Used to go up there as a kid, feels more down to earth, slow paced, antithetical to all this nonsense down in Los Angeles.
-W
Old 07-23-2017, 7:27 PM

These are all JMHO.......it's too close to the hordes. You'd be over run within 24hrs. Seriously, you might be able to pick off a bunch but there's just too many of them.

If you think Frazier Park feels down to Earth....don't waste your money...just stay put. It's full of folks like you not wanting to stop sucking the SoCal Teet and thinking it's rural and away from it all.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 07-23-2017, 7:27 PM
Banned

Jmo, but ca is not a good place to bug out.
Old 07-23-2017, 8:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Frazier park is a mixed community. Good folks and Meth heads.

Some parts are better than others so keep doing your homework. The other issue is snow. When that happens you may not get in or out.

Most folks there shop on their way home from LA or on the weekends in Bakersfield.

It is in Kern County so you'll be holding your CCW in a few months after moving in.

Go there and drive around. Talk to people etc. Get to know the town.

Have fun.

Here I am.
Old 07-23-2017, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Frazier Park suffers from all the disadvantage and none of the advantages of a real rural retreat.

just isolated enough that winter storms, mudslides and wildfires trap people every year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPeEgR7uqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiyZHYNpn5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJNz4orHDE

Close enough that the major North South Artery runs right through it making it the potential Open Air Refugee Center in any kind of event that forces a SoCal Evacuation.

Close enough to LA for the Liberals to commute there along with their ideas on how to run your life.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

Last edited by cudakidd; 07-23-2017 at 9:24 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 12:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Another no vote here.
It is way too close to LA for an SHTF refuge.
Old 07-24-2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
Frazier Park suffers from all the disadvantage and none of the advantages of a real rural retreat.

just isolated enough that winter storms, mudslides and wildfires trap people every year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPeEgR7uqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiyZHYNpn5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJNz4orHDE

Close enough that the major North South Artery runs right through it making it the potential Open Air Refugee Center in any kind of event that forces a SoCal Evacuation.

Close enough to LA for the Liberals to commute there along with their ideas on how to run your life.
Yeah my thought was Kern County would be a good place to be. I would never buy a home in Los Angeles County, or worse Los Angeles City proper. With Kern County I would definitely have my CCW in a few months as was said, tho I have no illusions about turning away the hordes with a CCW and some 10 round magazines...

But in a long term SHTF, the mountains could be a deterrent for people trying to make it out of Los Angeles on foot. Assuming the freeways were totally f*cked in real SHTF and I was therefore forced to flee LA on foot, I would rather head West to Ventura/Oxnard, not necessarily up into the national forrests. Honestly, if the average city-dweller is on foot they are physically not gonna make it up into the mountains from Downtown Los Angeles / South Central/ Etc...

Anyhow, I guess I'm mainly looking at it as a situation where I can actually get to know some good neighbors, acquire 5+ acres and a decent home +work shed, etc for a reasonable amount of money...

I mean down here in LA you have idiots buying a 1000 SF bungalow in West Hollywood for 750,000+ .... total lunacy.

Anyone know about the seasonal water situation up there?

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

W
Old 07-24-2017, 2:13 AM
Veteran Member

Kern county past the Mtn Pass (lebec/frazier park) has lots of possibilities for you. Land is still available and cheap and for the moment water is again available just about everywhere.

Check out Glennville, Kernville, Tehachapi, Tehachapi/Apple Valley, for some scenic places to consider.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmanwes View Post
Yeah my thought was Kern County would be a good place to be. I would never buy a home in Los Angeles County, or worse Los Angeles City proper. With Kern County I would definitely have my CCW in a few months as was said, tho I have no illusions about turning away the hordes with a CCW and some 10 round magazines...

But in a long term SHTF, the mountains could be a deterrent for people trying to make it out of Los Angeles on foot. Assuming the freeways were totally f*cked in real SHTF and I was therefore forced to flee LA on foot, I would rather head West to Ventura/Oxnard, not necessarily up into the national forrests. Honestly, if the average city-dweller is on foot they are physically not gonna make it up into the mountains from Downtown Los Angeles / South Central/ Etc...

Anyhow, I guess I'm mainly looking at it as a situation where I can actually get to know some good neighbors, acquire 5+ acres and a decent home +work shed, etc for a reasonable amount of money...

I mean down here in LA you have idiots buying a 1000 SF bungalow in West Hollywood for 750,000+ .... total lunacy.

Anyone know about the seasonal water situation up there?

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

W
I some what agree with you the horde and masses won't make it (or their numbers will be greatly reduced) by the time they make the trek up to Frazier mountain plus there are a number of more inviting places to stop (castaic and pyramid lakes). it would be rough either way.

The problem with the mountain is the practicality of day to day living...

When it snows CHP shuts down the freeway at least a couple of times each month during the winter.

It is a LONG commute to LA even with a commuter vehicle.

Shopping is a planned event even in good weather.

Drugs and alcohol are an issue up on the mountain.

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 07-24-2017, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi Calguns,
Been planning ways to relocate out of the San Fernando Valley for a while now... is there a prepper community or individuals up in Frazier Park?
Real estate is almost reasonable and I like the mountains. Seems close enough for me to commute into Los Angeles, I work off-hours and my industry is and always will be down here. In my 30s, so can't just up and move to Idaho.
-W
Depends on what kind of S is HTF, but you will be better off outside LA than inside LA under all emergency scenarios except those particular to your new location. For Frazier Park, that will be fire or a localized earthquake.

As others have posted, the worse the calamity, the sooner the needy hordes will overrun FP, but you will have that most valuable of assets - a head start.

If I were in your shoes, FP or a similar destination would seem like a great option. Stick it out in smaller cases, bug out in bigger cases, but be ahead of the masses.
Old 07-24-2017, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Depends on what kind of S is HTF, but you will be better off outside LA than inside LA under all emergency scenarios except those particular to your new location. For Frazier Park, that will be fire or a localized earthquake.

As others have posted, the worse the calamity, the sooner the needy hordes will overrun FP, but you will have that most valuable of assets - a head start.

If I were in your shoes, FP or a similar destination would seem like a great option. Stick it out in smaller cases, bug out in bigger cases, but be ahead of the masses.
Good Point at least you have a head start. Imagine looking down the Interstate 5 and seeing a endless line of cars heading your way...and they will be tired, hungry, and feel entitled to your "stuff"...

Old 07-24-2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
Good Point at least you have a head start. Imagine looking down the Interstate 5 and seeing a endless line of cars heading your way...and they will be tired, hungry, and feel entitled to your "stuff"...
Yes, the thing that concerns me most is the large earthquake that renders the 10 fwy to AZ, the 101 fwy to Ventura, the 5 fwy up to the central valley and the other big roads inoperable. Los Angeles without trucking / transit lines in or out is gonna get nasty fast. Just so long as there's a mountain range in between LA and me when that happens, I'll go from there.

If some truly TEOWAWKI occurs, the plan is to head up to the immediate family in central california so Frazier Park still puts me closer to that goal. Thanks for all the input everyone, I'm not buying a house tomorrow or anything but getting closer to the mark day by day.

-W
Old 07-24-2017, 7:24 PM

Just remember that Up the Tejon runs a major utility supplier to LA. natural gas, water and electricity run right up and right down the mountain. If and when the big one hits it very well could sever those lines...

Having a head start it HUGE....if you have a secondary our primary location you will be making it to Frazier is actually a real good jump off point. You can drive (off road on fire roads and utility roads from frazier to central cal pretty easy with a moderately built vehicle provided you had plenty of gas.

I have road on a motorcycle from frazier to Santa Maria without touching real pavement. it take a while but you can do it.

there are a lot of places up in the hills in frazier park that are still pretty cheap but you will increase your travel time and likelihood of getting stuck int eh snow.

John 15:13

donate to support the cause
http://shop42a.com/

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 07-24-2017, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

I've ALMOST moved there several times. The only reason we have not moved there is because it's still California. AZ or ID are our current targets.

Good -

Frazier Park has some nice homes, but Pine Mountain Club is nicer, although farther. Nice people and a good community. A lot of older and retired people in PMC, so you decide if that's the thing for you. Last time I was up there, they had no cell service. Of any kind. It may have changed by now, but that could be a real problem.

Real estate prices are pretty decent considering what you get.

Hunting is very good if you're into that.

Fresh air and pine trees. Nice.

Cooler weather in the summer. Snow in the winter. Since you're still working, that may be an issue. For me? I can just look out the window, and say 'Hey! It snowed! Wonder what's on Netflix?' For the next week or two. But if you have to shovel the driveway and drive to LA through the snow, it might be an issue.

Bad -

Lots of WT in Frazier Park. It's kind of like Riverside North. Meth and some pretty trashy areas.

It's a REALLY long commute to LA. It will get old fast. Wear and tear on your vehicle and fuel costs.

Real estate values fluctuate severely. Up and down. Not exactly sure why, but don't get caught paying too much.

The 5 freeway gets closed several times during the winter when it snows and you'll have to sleep in your car in Castaic or find a place to stay until the CHP opens it.

The only place to shop is Santa Clarita or Bakersfield. You can get the basics at mom-n-pop shops there, but you don't want to spend all your grocery money in Frazier Park. So plan for that. Not a big deal, but you're not running over to Target for a pack of gum.

Forest fires. But that's true for any location surrounded by trees and forests.

As a SHTF location -

It has VERY limited access from both directions, so there's that. The roads into and out of FP can be blocked and protected pretty easily.

If you didn't store supplies beforehand, you're totally screwed if SHTF.

You are very isolated. That's both good and bad.

You can hunt for food and feed your family prettily easily. As long as you like rabbits, bear and deer.

I would not make a decision based on SHTF though.

People try to plan and prepare for something that is very unlikely to happen.

The North Korean's are not invading California, aliens will not take over the world and a worldwide plague is not likely.

If you don't mind shoveling snow, enjoy the outdoors and are OK with the commute and the other drawbacks, then the value you get from the real estate values might be fine for you.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-24-2017, 9:24 PM

I've been looking hard at Frazier Park for a while. Not so much for SHTF, but in Kern County where one could get a CCW. Close enough to Ventura to hit the beach. Close enough to either Bakersfield or North LA for work. High enough to not be too hot. Remote enough to be somewhat defendable. Close enough to the forest to provide hunting opportunities. Lots of 4x4 trails. Plus everything in the above post.

Last edited by Nick Adams; 07-24-2017 at 9:33 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 9:34 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

I have been there many, many times. Mix of good old boys, Hollywood worker bees and others.

BUT It IS the San Andreas fault. That little dip in the road as you go from across the valley IS the fault.

SHTF in many ways. That's the most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Sounds reasonable ... just how are futures in aluminium fool these days?
Old 07-25-2017, 5:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Joel Skousen doesn't recommend anywhere in that area. But it really depends on what the situation is. But just figure any catastrophic earthquake, I5 will be closed. So if you are up on the mountain when it happens, good. If your down in the s**thole of LA, good luck and be armed, you will need it. I've noticed some cultures tend to freak out, panic and act like savage animals in stressful situations. There is a lot of those cultures in the big city, in particular California. This state is a very bad place to be.
Old 07-25-2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
I have been there many, many times. Mix of good old boys, Hollywood worker bees and others.

BUT It IS the San Andreas fault. That little dip in the road as you go from across the valley IS the fault.

SHTF in many ways. That's the most likely.

I came here to say the same thing.
Old 07-25-2017, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
I
Bad -

Lots of WT in Frazier Park. It's kind of like Riverside North. Meth and some pretty trashy areas.
It doesn't sound like you live in Riverside, and if you do, you need to move to a better part.
Old 07-25-2017, 8:10 AM

Preppers should vote yes if they are voting for someone else and not themselves. Fill Frazier Park with gun owners and preppers. Let them take down a good percentage of the hoards before they over run them. That way there will be fewer to handle for those who go further out.
Old 07-25-2017, 2:09 PM

I think you need to further research that area before making a final decision...
Old 07-25-2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedtruckin View Post
I think you need to further research that area before making a final decision...
Which facets/concerns of that area did you have in mind?

At the end of the day I understand that Frazier Park is little more than an extension of Los Angeles. In twenty years it will probably be what Simi Valley is today... but that's a ways off still.

To put my situation in perspective... I am interested in finding a 2-10acre plot of land that I can put a greenhouse, solar panels and 30-40 thousand gallons worth of water tank on. I have been growing potatoes, tomatoes and carrots on my 150 square foot patio in the SFV and rarely buy those from the grocery store anymore... I have a long way to go, but to even begin to start that way of living in a place like FP is more ideal than staying down in LA for the next 3-10 years. Unfortunately, I still need to be near LA for my career.

Big Bear is another big contender, but that puts me further away from my folks in SLO County in a truly TEOWAWKI situation (which I believe happening is unlikely) than Frazier Park.

I would greatly appreciate hearing your specific concerns with the area.

-W
Old 08-06-2017, 6:36 PM

I've been thinking about buying property up in that area for years now. I worked at a camp up there in my younger years and have always thought of that area like a second home.

I've never thought of it as a BO location but more of a weekend getaway that was close enough I'd use it a lot. Ideally I'd like at least 5 acres and at a minimum utilities already on site.... structures would be nice but not necessary.

Interested to see what everyone else has to say about the area.
Old 08-06-2017, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Get out of the SF Valley to many lefties. Some pockets of right wingers to the east and $5-600,000 houses in good school districts. Figure having to buy a new car every couple years and road time and living 60-80 miles from work isn't such a good plan.
Old 08-06-2017, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... In twenty years it will probably be what Simi Valley is today... but that's a ways off still.
No, it won't. Frazier Park is a high-altitude, semi isolated mountain community and always will be. Geography can't be changed. It's nothing like Simi and never will be.

Quote:
I am interested in finding a 2-10acre plot of land that I can put a greenhouse, solar panels and 30-40 thousand gallons worth of water tank on. I have been growing potatoes, tomatoes and carrots on my 150 square foot patio in the SFV and rarely buy those from the grocery store anymore... I have a long way to go, but to even begin to start that way of living in a place like FP is more ideal than staying down in LA for the next 3-10 years. Unfortunately, I still need to be near LA for my career.
You might want to think about the Antelope Valley. Plenty of open spaces and you can take the Metrolink train or a AV Transit commuter bus to DTLA.

Quote:
...I would greatly appreciate hearing your specific concerns with the area....
Have you been actually reading the responses here?
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-28-2017, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
Jmo, but ca is not a good place to bug out.
Exactly. Agree with you. What's funny is while I was active duty the most avoided place to be in any shtf situation is or will be California. When I worked on the east coast they told us to travel west. When I was on the west coast they told us to travel east. All coastal states to be avoided at all costs, regardless of financial situation.

Military veteran
DHS veteran
Old 08-28-2017, 7:19 AM

If anything happens in LA that is so bad that hordes are clambering up the 5 to escape and get to nowhere (Bakersfield, Central Valley, San Francisco?), you'll be glad you are not in LA and dealing with whatever is driving the hordes.

But I see the whole mention and consideration of hordes as kind of silly. See above.

Now that commute, that could be a killer.
Old 08-28-2017, 9:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FP hasn't changed much over the last 50 years. What you see is what will be. I love the area, great jeep trails, good shooting spots, clean air, 8000 feet up on the mountain. Not a place to commute to LA from.
Old 08-28-2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner68 View Post
If anything happens in LA that is so bad that hordes are clambering up the 5 to escape and get to nowhere (Bakersfield, Central Valley, San Francisco?), you'll be glad you are not in LA and dealing with whatever is driving the hordes.

But I see the whole mention and consideration of hordes as kind of silly. See above.

Now that commute, that could be a killer.
Thank you for the input everyone. I drove up there last week, not the worst drive on off hours but I definitely would not want that to be my commute. Mountains are really great though, saw a bunch of houses and plots of land that I think I could really get into. And as far as California goes, it is cheap for sure.

Putting it very politely, the schools seem very very below average. Not so good for my children. But then again we're considering homeschooling here in LA. Los Angeles unified school district is a total joke.

Lots and lots of stuff to consider, not making the move tomorrow but thanks again for everyone's input.

-W
Old 08-29-2017, 4:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Frazier Park must be part of the CA death throng because my wife and I seriously considered moving to Frazier Park before we finally moved out of CA. We ultimately saw moving to FP as a temporary stall of the inevitable. I had a coworker that lived up there and he lasted a few years before moving back to LA. His wife started going loopy because it was too isolated up there and he mentioned the commute and the snow were hell. We spoke to several locals and at that time it sounded like my wife and I were a dime a dozen, lots of LA folks trying to figure an escape that kept us close to LA. Just move out and be done with it. Your life and your family's lives will be better for it.
Old 09-01-2017, 6:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Property in Frazier Park for SHTF ?

You have a great gunsmith in the heart of the San Fernando valley. Consider homeschooling. There is a big movement in that direction and I think you will be better off. Your kids will thank you. LAUSD churns out zombies - don't know how to think. Of course that's why they cater to those latinos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker View Post
Of course that's why they cater to those latinos.
WTF?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
I came here to say the same thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1857_F...jon_earthquake

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper