Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default Fishing for tail, not chasing it

At the Coastside Fishing Club (a Nor-Cal based fishing club) Annual Dinner last year my friend Ron Daniels was the winning bidder for a 3 day fishing trip with Baja Pirates of La Paz. We flew in last Sunday to what had been an epic bite of BIG yellowtail. However, we brought the wind with us and that definitely slowed things down. The first day we fished on the SE side of Espiritu Santo, where the hot bite had been, but there was little mossback love for us. We each had one hookup but lost both of them in the rocks.

Days two and three we fished the rock about five miles north of Cerralvo Island and did much better, we hooked 5 and landed four between 34 and 38 pounds.

All in all it was a good time. Baja Pirates runs a first class operation with American made boats and tackle, all Shakespear Ugly Sticks and Avet reels both single and two-speed. Most importantly they're properly maintained.

I'll be going back in September to fish the marlin tournament on the same Baja Pirates boat that won it last year, maybe lightning will strike twice.

George Orwell
Old 04-13-2013, 3:01 PM

Wow, that's some bruisers for sure. Best Tail I got was 29 lbs out of So. Cal. Any pics?
Old 04-13-2013, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSherThang View Post
Wow, that's some bruisers for sure. Best Tail I got was 29 lbs out of So. Cal. Any pics?
These were all caught while we were there.

http://www.bajapiratesoflapaz.com/ba...g-reports.html

George Orwell