Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Default samsung dart freezes, possible bluetooth cause?

so i have a samsung dart sgh-t499. cheap (enough) for me as a starter smart phone. i noticed it keeps hanging on me a lot in the past few months. i sensed a pattern that it happens when i have bluetooth service on and it's connected to the car's charger. it's froyo so the OS is old.

is there anything else that can cause a freeze? basically when i press the button to bring up the screen, it takes forever for the bottom lights to light up (home, back button, etc) but the screen never does light up.

wondering what else i can do before i do a factory restart. again, it seems to happen when i have bluetooth service on and it's charging via the car's outlet. i also tried a different headset and it freezes there too. it's not when i'm talking but rather it's just on idle and when i arrive and bring it with me, the screen is all dark and requires me pulling the battery to rest.

i don't have a data plan. i'm on tmobile pre-pay. so nothing else is happening other than like a normal cell phone + bluetooth. i don't leave apps running in background (where task manager shows it) and i don't have many apps anyway. doesn't happen all the time. but maybe 1 out of 4 times i connect the power in the car and have bluetooth on. odd thing is i don't recall off the top of my head if it ever freezes when bluetooth is on but the phone is not being charged in the car.

it's only 1 year 4 months old. (bought brand new).
Old 04-01-2013, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Is it getting good power? Is it a cheap China power-adapter? Does it happen if you plug it in to AC garage power with the factory adapter too?

I have noticed that on some cheap China adapters via eBay makes every Android I plug into them not able to use the touch-screen, like it is generating random touching when paws are pressing just like normal. Maybe a similar issue (yet not the same)?

Is the power cord breaking or frayed (or even pulling and breaking the stress-relief on the cord [maybe shorting internally])...?

Last edited by the86d; 04-01-2013 at 1:15 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 1:40 PM

I forget in Froyo, but there should be a way to clear the Bluetooth Share in Applications cache and data; this will cause your phone to "forget" your previously bonded devices but will also delete any errant cached data. I had the T-Mobile G2x that had something very similar happen with a Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone.

Have you tried Samsung Kies software to see if there are any updates to your phone?
Old 04-01-2013, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

it's actually the car power adapter that came with it. i bought a usb adapter and another micro-usb cable to charge it sometimes (if i'm not powering the mp3 player). seems to happen there too. at home, i charge it with its usual charger (comes with it) but i don't use the bluetooth at home. maybe i should try that with the wall socket adapter and turn on bluetooth and see what happens. (haven't tested it).

car adapter power cord is good. no frays/cuts in it. same for the micro-usb cable using the usb adapter i got from ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Is it getting good power? Is it a cheap China power-adapter? Does it happen if you plug it in to AC garage power with the factory adapter too?

I have noticed that on some cheap China adapters via eBay makes every Android I plug into them not able to use the touch-screen, like it is generating random touching when paws are pressing just like normal. Maybe a similar issue (yet not the same)?

Is the power cord breaking or frayed (or even pulling and breaking the stress-relief on the cord [maybe shorting internally])...?
this is one frustrating thing about froyo. i can "un-pair" but i can never ever remove the device. can't find a way to do it. the bluetooth devices it hangs on when connected by power is the motorola speaker phone t505, a motorola elite flip and a plantronics voyager pro +.

i'll check out samsung keis. i usually click on update (on phone via about phone menu) and there's nothing available. if there's anything that miff's me about the phone is when tmobile tries to do an update (has a yellow triangle and construction sign) but it always hangs up before when it tries to update. have to pull the battery. not sure if that might be a cause but this was about 1-4 months when i first bought it. haven't seen it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMan View Post
I forget in Froyo, but there should be a way to clear the Bluetooth Share in Applications cache and data; this will cause your phone to "forget" your previously bonded devices but will also delete any errant cached data. I had the T-Mobile G2x that had something very similar happen with a Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone.

Have you tried Samsung Kies software to see if there are any updates to your phone?