Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Palmetto State Armory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2015, 6:23 PM

Question PA-10 308 jamming, double feeds, and chewing up brass

I have a PA-10 with this upper:
PSA PA10 18" Mid MOE BLK SS 1/10 Upper with BCG and Charging Handle-507388

When I shoot factory ammo, the empty brass case does not eject. It sometimes turns 180 degrees inside the upper receiver and other times it will flip 360 degrees, a complete turn, and jam the bolt. The neck of the brass case smashes against the bolt extension locking lugs, and tears the lip f the brass case. Sometimes it will try to feed a new round and the empty shell into the chamber. I have to remove the take-down pins and slide the upper forward to remove the bolt and clear the jam.

I have tried a heavier buffer, your PSA H3 buffer, and it still jams. I think it is over gassed. What can I do to fix it. I do not want to send it back. I know other PA-10 rifles have the same problem: I have read other forums and saw youtube videos. Supposedly you fixed those rifles. Do you put a restricter in the barrel's gas port, in the front sight gas block, in the gas tube, or do you crush the gas tube to restrict the flow?

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 11-30-2015, 6:46 PM

I would like some input on this to

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2015, 6:50 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Paging Dr Randall, Dr Randall!
-g
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 11-30-2015, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Paging Dr Randall, Dr Randall!
-g
I agree Randal will know.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:09 PM

regarding this company and the PSA PA10 had a half dozen buddies order these uppers for 80% builds and none of them will Even cycle the rounds you can not even pull the bolt back to load a round in the chamber there is a huge issue with these uppers. my buddy contacted them and they basically refused to play nice.. next day Red warnings went up all over there page claiming these uppers must be used with there lowers only and that there is no Standard for ar-308 type rifles. (this is a flat out lie) they then LIED to him and claimed the disclaimer was always on the page when it clearly was not. I went back and looked at Cashed pages and no warning was on the page until recently . Cant speak for others but this is not the type of company i like working with. so i will no longer do business with them and i suggest Everyone find another vendor. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:15 PM

Try install an adjustable gas block?
Old 02-16-2016, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave626 View Post
Try install an adjustable gas block?

Two reasons why I have not.

1) I want the standard AR triangular sight post, and they don't make one that is adjustable.

2) I don't have the money.

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 02-16-2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
Two reasons why I have not.

1) I want the standard AR triangular sight post, and they don't make one that is adjustable.

2) I don't have the money.

1, That AR triangle shape gas block you can hammer out 2 pins that mounting on the barrel. It takes me like 15 mins to do so. I did that on my AR.

2. If you can come up with 60-70 bucks for adjustable gas block. It benefits you with softer recoil and resolve your cycle issue.
Old 02-16-2016, 2:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Had the same issue with my DPMS GII Recon upper. I purchased an extra heavy buffer from here http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html and now she runs like a top. I need to check and see which weight I bought, but it definitely did the trick.

Edit: looks like I went with the 6.5oz (you currently have a 5.4oz). These buffers are damn pricey for what they are. Maybe the adjustable gb would be the way to go. YMMV

Last edited by Whiskey_Tango; 02-16-2016 at 2:59 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 02-16-2016, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

I've put their AR10 upper on their PSA 10 lower and it shoots like a champ. Their AR10 is their own design and is not compatible with a DPMS .308 design.
Old 02-16-2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
Had the same issue with my DPMS GII Recon upper. I purchased an extra heavy buffer from here http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html and now she runs like a top. I need to check and see which weight I bought, but it definitely did the trick.

Edit: looks like I went with the 6.5oz (you currently have a 5.4oz). These buffers are damn pricey for what they are. Maybe the adjustable gb would be the way to go. YMMV
If he decides to blow 100$ on a buffer, he should just spend 15$ more and buy himself an SLR adjustable GB. That is what I have on my franken lr308, not a single issue since I built it.
Old 02-16-2016, 5:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey89 View Post
If he decides to blow 100$ on a buffer, he should just spend 15$ more and buy himself an SLR adjustable GB. That is what I have on my franken lr308, not a single issue since I built it.
Yeah, would be money better spent, but OP wants to keep A2 front sight. Maybe try this?
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1022743
Old 02-20-2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
Yeah, would be money better spent, but OP wants to keep A2 front sight. Maybe try this?
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1022743
Thanks. That is a good idea.

I came up with something different, but haven't tried it yet.

It will be a while (2 months) until I can shoot my PA-10 again.

Old 02-20-2016, 5:12 PM

I just measured my PA-10 308 Winchester Stainless 18" barrel mid-length gas port size, and it was 0.078"

According to this website http://www.tacticalmachining.com/lea...ort-sizes.html the 0.078" port size is for a 16" 308 barrel with mid-length gas port.

So it looks like it is (slightly?) over gassed.