Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2013, 9:28 PM

Default Transporting to the Range

This came up in a thread on another forum.

Is it legal, in California (specifically the San Francisco Bay Area) to transport an UNLOADED pistol in a LOCKED container (like a Pelican Case with a padlock), with an UNLOADED magazine IN the mag-well, and/or LOADED magazines in the SAME container, but not IN the gun?

Going further, is it legal to transport this container on foot (not in a vehicle)?

On public transportation like a bus or the subway?

Let's assume the destination is a shooting range with minimal stops along the way.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 9:53 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=103660

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/FA...tion_Questions

Bruce Lee
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post

Is it legal, in California (specifically the San Francisco Bay Area) to transport an UNLOADED pistol in a LOCKED container (like a Pelican Case with a padlock), with an UNLOADED magazine IN the mag-well, and/or LOADED magazines in the SAME container, but not IN the gun?

Going further, is it legal to transport this container on foot (not in a vehicle)?

Let's assume the destination is a shooting range with minimal stops along the way.

Thanks.
Inside a car yes, with no destination restrictions.

Outside a car, on foot, or a bicycle, yes with destination restrictions (going to the range is a legitimate destination). I am aware that the Calguns wiki treats a bicycle like a car, but I have heard many cops do not. You might be in the right, but the hassle?

Public transit- As far as I know, in a locked container, with destination requirements, except for in sterile areas such as the airport. AB 2324 would have outlawed this, but didn't get a vote let alone pass
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post

Thanks.
Hi there!

Good to see that you made it over here to Calguns. I am the one that posted in the other forum about transporting your pistol in CA.

There is a lot of info here and a lot to absorb. It took me many months to digest the mountains of laws surrounding somewhat innocent tasks such as transporting firearms.

Another thing you can check out is a book called 'How to own a gun in CA and not go to jail' or something along those lines.

In a nutshell, ammo in the gun is a non-no. Pistol in a locked container-pelican case is fine. Public transportation shouldnt be an issue. I would make sure that you're very low key and subtle about what you're transporting if at all possible. Don't advertise your guns in CA. A LOT of anti gun people here. Lawyers are everywhere, especially in SF and San Rafael/Marin.

Like I mentioned in the other post, what is 'legal' may not always be the best.

Enjoy CA for all that it offers. If you ever head to the East Bay (San Ramon) give me a heads up and we'll see if we can meet up at a range sometime. You can give me pointers!

Happy shooting and be safe!
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM

If it helps, BART has nothing on their website say you cannot. Not the best support there.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Here is what is referred to I. The CHP's website regarding transporting a firearm. Hope this helps answer some questions.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

As what everyone else has stated.

I personally store any ammo (whether in mags or not) separately, in another locked container. I just want to avoid any BS from uneducated officers.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 03-24-2013, 8:09 AM

Guys, I've read all that information. But the main question here is public transportation. I keep getting flack from people about how I brought my gun and ammo onto a public bus or onto BART. Even though I'm pretty sure it's legal. But I can't find anywhere where it actually states that it's ok to do that. But I can't find anywhere that states that it's NOT.

Unloaded, in locked container with ammo. Public transportation ok or not?

How else is someone supposed to get to a shooting range without a car? It's either public transportation or a taxi. And a Taxi to the range is like $100...

Last edited by FourT6and2; 03-24-2013 at 8:13 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 9:45 AM

what constitute a "LOCK CONTAINER"? does a range bag with lock sufficient to be compliant under the definition of lock container?

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Hope this helps. It's a lot to wade thru, but it quotes the penal code/sections etc, so you're up to your eyeballs in legal-ese.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-24-2013, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Hope this helps. It's a lot to wade thru, but it quotes the penal code/sections etc, so you're up to your eyeballs in legal-ese.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting
Yep. I've read that many times. But nowhere does it talk about public transportation.
Old 03-24-2013, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is a thread along the same vein.

As far as what constitutes a "Locked container"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillincody View Post
long gun transport BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2013 Long guns must be transported in a completely enclosing case when not in a vehicle; if the case is designed as a gun case, no lock required. If the case is NOT designed as a gun case, must also be locked.

hand gun locked container is defined as

"Locked container" is now defined at Penal Code 16850

As used in Sections 17740, 23925, 25105, 25205, and 25610,
and in Article 3 (commencing with Section 25505) of Chapter 2
of Division 5 of Title 4, "locked container" means
a secure container
that is fully enclosed and
locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar
locking device.

The term "locked container" does not include the utility or
glove compartment of a motor vehicle.

So looks like your GTG and next time check out the CGF wiki at the top of the forum http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Tr...ting_a_handgun