Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Default Apex trigger for M&P

Keep hearing that apex trigger is a good upgrade for the M&P. want to know if its really worth it?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Nothing but good things to say about mine. Much crisper trigger and helped tighten up my groups. With more practice I could have been able to do much better with the stock trigger but I wanted to try this upgrade and it was well worth it IMHO.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Use the search brother. This has been discussed A LOT.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM

I just put the Duty/Carry kit in my 9FS and 9C and I'm liking the new performance a lot.

I've had the full size since last fall and had put about 700 rounds through it, plus a fair amount of dry firing. All of that action had smoothed out the trigger a bit, but the DCAEK kit shortened the pretravel and lightened the break. I like the new trigger, but I wasn't overwhelmed.

My compact came to me about 3 weeks ago with a horribly gritty trigger. It was almost unshootable compared to the full size and my Glock 19. I just shot it this morning with the Apex kit and I am in love with it. Smooth and crisp. When paired with the XS Big Dots that I put on it, the gun is very easy to shoot accurately.

Click on Grabagun.com. They had the best prices that I could fine and ship for free, too. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:54 PM

Short answer yes!
The FSS is just incredible!
Old 03-23-2013, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Eh, I have the DCAEK and didn't find much difference. And the reset is barely perceptible.

But if you mean the actual forward set sear and "trigger" kit, I've heard good things about it. I dry fired an M&P 9 with the kit installed and it felt good.

If you have a newer M&P (made within the last 3 months), then you probably have the new trigger group which is excellent. Don't mess with it if that's the case - unless you already have it and aren't happy with it.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 03-24-2013 at 8:55 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 3:48 PM

I had the complete kit in mine, it was a much cleaner break, and lower weight pull as well, but did not work for me. A side effect of the kit (on mine, anyway),
was that the trigger broke at the last 1/8" of the travel, causing me to change my grip, or put my trigger finger like a "C" to shoot it well. I traded it off.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought an M&P 45 and HATED it like I've never hated a pistol. After 1500 rounds, the factory trigger was as broken in as it gets, and it sucked. I was almost ready to sell it.

Then I put in an FSS. The improvement was so amazing that my plans to buy a DW 1911 Guardian shifted to plays to buy an M&P45C and install the FSS. It is that good. It isn't custom 1911 good, but it is a huge improvement.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns (some off-roster), C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I think is is well worth the improvement, but not everyone will be able to feel the difference...depending on their trigger management skill level and technique.

I've shot several D/C AEK equipped guns and the change is feel (smoothness and clean break) and well as reset (if you add the RAM) really amde them nice guns.

To really get the most out of it, the FSS is really a huge improvement.

I was really disappointed in my first M&P9 and I was having hard time holding 3" at 5-7 yards in slow fire. Upon the installation, the first shots went into 3/4".

The problem is I want to keep tweaking it
Old 03-23-2013, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it is.
Old 03-23-2013, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

A lighter trigger with a shorter reset isn't going to compensate for a lack of solid pistol skills. Lots of noobs get obsessed with lighter triggers because it helps with their "groups", but what really helps is professional instruction and trigger time. Don't get sucked too far down the hole of buying more stuff to shoot better.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

I have several M&P's. The new ones don't even get shot until the Apex DCAEK goes in them. Night and day difference with the trigger for about $75. Stop asking about it and just go buy one.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-24-2013, 6:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
A lighter trigger with a shorter reset isn't going to compensate for a lack of solid pistol skills. Lots of noobs get obsessed with lighter triggers because it helps with their "groups", but what really helps is professional instruction and trigger time. Don't get sucked too far down the hole of buying more stuff to shoot better.
Training is very important. But if I can buy something that will help me shoot my serious use guns better I will. I'm not above using a shortcut like that.

The Apex mods were mandatory items for my M&Ps. Get them!
Old 03-24-2013, 6:29 AM
Banned

Tzgged